CFL, Elks mourn the death of Christian Saulsberry

EDMONTON — The Edmonton Elks have released the following statement regarding the death of running back Christian Saulsberry:

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/12/17/cfl-elks-mourn-the-death-of-christian-saulsberry/
1 Like

This is tragic heartbreaking news. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Saulsberry family in this time of mourning.

3 Likes

My deepest condolences to his Family and the Edmonton Elks. :pray:

2 Likes

Another shooting death. I'm gutted. Bad time @ Christmas. Lost my cousin & was at his funeral yesterday.

A guy barely getting started with his whole future ahead. Senseless tragedy.

4 Likes

I too mourn the loss of another life taken needlessly by a gun. No, I am not opposed to hunting or target shooting - but as we know for every responsible gun owner they are outnumbered by 10.] who are not. Tragic to think of a young promising athlete to have his life so abruptly taken - and for what?

3 Likes

We don’t know any details about the shooting but I would be surprised if it happened while hunting or target shooting. I would be shocked if a handgun wasn’t involved. That would be the reason he was killed. No civilized country in the world permits it’s citizens to own hand guns en masse. That is why the US murder rate is more than 10 times that of any other country. This seems to hit home for about 5 minutes after any needless gun related death, and then it doesn’t. RIP Chris.

4 Likes

Very sad to hear. 25 is way too young. Deepest condolences to the Elks and his family.

3 Likes

Tragic. Another life taken far too early.
Condolences to Christians family, friends and the Elks.

2 Likes

Guns don’t kill people, people kill people. Its a bad idea to politicize the death of a man this way.

2 Likes

Thats too bad. I thought he was an electric player to watch.

Yes sadly some can’t help but exploit tragedy for political advantage

3 Likes

I don't believe anyone said this was a hunting accident. The number of hand gun murders in the US has to concern all of us. To glibly say that guns don't kill, people do, does nothing to solve the problem of shootings. Unfortunately, the actions taken by violent people has to be dealt with politically, in order to give the police and gun stores the tools they need to refuse a sale and to stop the killings. I'm sure that the parents of Chase Saulsbury are wishing that more solid decision making around the sale and banning of guns had happened and not to be trivialized again by the lame arguments of the gun lobby. As I said before - a young athlete was murdered needlessly - and it could have been prevented.

1 Like

Grandstanding for political advantages does nothing either

1 Like

I will support you and you are correct. Guns kill people. A certain percentage of people get angry beyond control, often for a short period of time. I have seen this many times in the business I am in. In every country but the US a person needs to kill someone most of the time without a gun. Often the extreme anger passes after 10 seconds or so. If you have a gun the person the anger is directed at is likely dead by then, but likely not if you don’t have a gun.

Guns kill people in fact. That is why the US has 10x the murder rate of any other country in the world and 20x-40x the murder rate of many countries. If you don’t think guns kill people more efficiently than any other weapon you are either ignorant or being disingenuous. To me it is appalling that the 15% or so of the US population that doesn’t get this (and obviously some of the Canadian population) use tired and incorrect NRA propaganda every time a gun causes another death.

I’m certainly happy to live in a relatively gun free, sane and normal country.

2 Likes

It happened at a party
https://www.localmemphis.com/article/sports/southaven-native-professional-running-back-christian-saulsberry-killed-saturday-morning-edmonton-elk-football-player-northpoint-mississippi-walls/522-8d327bcd-0748-4ef4-9bf0-7036d1ad8d6b

3 Likes

Hey guys, this is about a young man who lost his life, not about politics.

7 Likes

That this young man is gone forever is heartbreaking.

1 Like

Yes, but Fox 1 you said that nine out of ten gun owners are irresponsible yahoos.
That number is whack.
Most gun owners wouldn’t be bringing a gun to a bar or a party, unless they had bad intentions.
If they had no access to guns, they would use a knife or some other weapon.
Demonizing guns and gun owners is just reactionary.

Open carry and or concealed carry … Should come with a caveat… No fucking alcohol or you cannot have the gun on your person. The other thing is if you notice every single time there is a mass shooting several States immediately pass laws making it easier to buy or possess guns… So the argument on anti gun politics goes the other way too. It is a watershed vote magnet :magnet: on the extreme far right too. Politics aside there are people who own guns that simply should not own them but they always pass laws making it easy for these whacked people to get them legally. I do not know a responsible gun owner who thinks crazed lunatics should have guns but once politics enters the equation common sense goes out the window pretty quick

1 Like

2 things are fact

Another young adult murdered with a gun. A life cut short and his family and friends in mourning

Second - gun advocates jump to gun defense to remind us it's never a good time to talk about gun control, and any such discussions are politicizing the issue and somehow disrespectful to the victim/s for even mentioning it

Lets.be clear there are 2 issues and the old saying time and place come to mind

In the news announcement about the person, it's the time and place to remember , pay condolences.

Gun control debates should be a separate thread and in that thread, discussions are not playing politics or wrong - it's about proper time and place.

RIP to a young athlete who had a promising career ahead of him.

3 Likes