CFL Earlier Season Start

Wondering what the Canadian fans feelings are on the Subject based on the following article?

[url=http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/11/18/eskimos-president-len-rhodes-spearheads-effort-to-start-cfl-season-earlier-to-avoid-frigid-playoffs]http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/11/18/e ... d-playoffs[/url]

Thanks for posting

Moving the schedule ahead 2 weeks is a great idea!
First Regular season Game on 2nd week of June and the Grey Cup on the 2nd week of November.

I think one month earlier with the GC last week of October. But that's just me. This is Canada where football isn't a religion like it is in the US.

ABSOLUTELY move it forward 3-4 weeks. Typical freezing temperatures across the prairies in November are not conducive to good football or good conditions for fans to sit in. It's TOO COLD!

Remember Grey Cup week last season? We dodged a huge bullet that the temperatures got into a reasonable range on Grey Cup game day instead of wind chills in the -35C - -40C range earlier in the week where players (and fans) could get frost bite in minutes.

Heck even today here with how cold it is - if the game was today that would be friggin uncomfortable cold to sit out in for 3+ hours with the wind howling at you. Thank goodness by Sunday the temperatures are supposed to be up in the +7C range.

Even the Cats are practicing indoors today.

The NFL has moved their draft day back 2 weeks to Apr.30 - May 2, 2015

So CFL draft day could be 2 days after the NFL draft
Training Camp could start 2nd week of May ending last week of May
2 Exhibition games, the 1st on the last weekend of May and the 2nd on the 1st weekend of June
I think the earliest the season could start is the 2nd weekend of June

I wouldn't mind seeing the season start in May and Grey Cup on Thanksgiving Weekend. Less overlap with the NFL and May and June is a good time to show the CFL on US TV.

What is probably a dumb question from a dummy South of the Border, why is the season 18 games? With nine clubs if each club played the other eight clubs two games per season, one home one away, there would be 16 games in the season reducing the schedule by two weeks. This would also balance the overall competition aspect of team to team play across the two Divisions. The 5 club Division winner would still have to win more games, especially within the Division than the 4 club Division.

Funny, but the climate fear mongers were saying soaring winter temperatures and stuff being underwater by 2014.

I say move it forward 2 weeks and start Mid June right after the Stanley Cup final so we aren't competing with them. Pre season mid may until the beginning of June.

Grey cup done by mid November and allow the CIS the spotlight of their semis and Vanier Cup to themselves at the end of November.

I think one month is too much of a drastic change and would conflict with Stanley cup playoffs. If the 2 week bump up works well we can then push it to 4 weeks. One thing at a time.

Another benefit to moving the season up is that its less time it has to compete head to head with the NFL.

I think it would probably be due to money at the gates/ concession stands.

Because traditionally the CFL has been a gate driven league and the teams needed those extra 2 games to make $$$$.

No way. May is the worst time to compete with sports. MLB, MLS, and NHL NBA playoffs. That would be horrible.

Plus the NFL Draft wouldn't have even happened so we wouldn't be able to hold the CFL draft. Unless you want draft picks joining the team 4 games into the season.

June is the earliest start month.

With the Womens World Cup and Pan Am games next summer I could see the CFL flirt with an earlier start date next year.

[b]challenger99 wrote:[/b]

What is probably a dumb question from a dummy South of the Border, why is the season 18 games? With nine clubs if each club played the other eight clubs two games per season, one home one away, there would be 16 games in the season reducing the schedule by two weeks. This would also balance the overall competition aspect of team to team play across the two Divisions. The 5 club Division winner would still have to win more games, especially within the Division than the 4 club Division.

(Obviously, I don't know how to set up the quote correctly but this will have to do.)

Questions #1 and #3 may prove useful. I took a quick glance at Game Rules and Regulations under FAQ Topics – I'm not sure if there are any questions there that haven't already been answered in other threads.

http://cfldb.ca/faq/schedules/

I found this link interesting. I didn't check out how many years back one can search (last line in the right hand box).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_CFL_season

Well actually ironically it is because of a warmer than usual Pacific Ocean (probably a result of climate change - but I'm not knowledgeable enough to definitively claim that) which has resulted in a more intense than normal late season north Pacific Cyclone that ended up screwing up the usual weather patterns when it rammed into Alaska resulting in the situation we've had the last few days of a record breaking early season Arctic blast because of how that cyclone impacted the jet stream for this time of year.

So yes warmer than normal water in the North Pacific in some ways is directly responsible for record cold in much of North America. And this unusual weather pattern is causing some of the most intense lake effect snowstorms EVER seen because it is so rare to have this cold an Arctic blast passing over the lake waters this warm - which is the perfect recipe for major lake effect snows.

It is insane what is happening just south of Buffalo today. Areas like Orchard Park near where the Bills play have been getting between 3-5 inches of snow an hour for the last 12+ hours. Some areas have gotten five FEET of snow in less than a day. Wild!

I know this has nothing to do with football but cool pic one of the Bills players tweeted earlier today of the WALL of lake effect snow.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2vNzxdCUAAGnJT.jpg:large

compare the fans in the stands during the first two weeks vs the last two weeks of the reg season.

moving the beginning of the season up 2 or more weeks will not work very well.

Thanks for the info. Several interesting points, the ESPN/TSN contract pays the CFL $30 Million per year, TSN was a negotiated extension and was not put out for competitive bids, ESPN has an exclusive contract for the CFL in the US, ESPN owns 20% of TSN and 20% of RDS (with ESPN no longer showing NFL or NASCAR on Sundays CFL can/will fill a big broadcast void).
ESPN broadcast of NCAA football is Tuesday night 1 game,Wednesday night 2 games, Thursday night 2 games, Friday night 1 game and Saturday 12 games, in addition ESPN3 carries 17 NCAA games on Saturday. I can see ESPN looking for more CFL Friday night games to go along with Sunday games. Saturday CFL games would be shown on ESPN3. TV wise the next few years should be interesting for the CFL.
CFL increased the league games from 16 to 18 by reducing the number of preseason from 4 to 2 but don't say why.
Modifications to the ESPN contract to meet time and schedule desires can/will result in increased contractural payments to the CFL.

The “why? was the query I tried when I attempted to find the “16 to 18? game answer. The above two links were all I found.

I was going to surmise, as others did, that it had to do with the CFL being a gate-driven league. More people would be willing to pay for regular season games with points awarded than pre-season games.

Persistence has led me to the correct answer although extra revenue wouldn't be unwelcome. It had to do with the playoff format. If you scroll down to Grey Cup playoffs, I think you'll find an outcome (regardless of the opponent) the majority on this forum would approve.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_CFL_season

The argument in this article is persuasive, and I would tend to agree with it … what are the arguments against the change ?

My arguement against changing the start of the CFL season is many-fold:

1. What is more Canadian than starting the Canadian Football League on (or about) Canada Day?
  2. Football is one of the very few true all-weather sports. The only things that halt football games are tornados, lightning, World Wars, and in one historic instance - intense fog.
  3. Hopefully soon, there will be only ONE domed football stadium in this country (meaning that blew team down the QEW has a new home). Football will finally be played as it is meant to, except for perhaps 9-11 games in a domed stadium in the most temperate area of Canada.

Love the idea.
Less overlap with the NFL means more football for everybody.