CFL Draft

While admittedly following the progress of Johnny Manziel, I’m trying to understand how the CFL works. I notice that a lot of people criticize the draft picks that Montreal has given up. I honestly can’t find anything that supports the value of draft picks as it relates to a team’s success. Seems like teams are built best with free agent signings. Even this year’s 1st overall pick has opted for the new AAF league. Am I seeing this incorrectly?

A huge key to success in the CFL is National content (i.e., Canadian players) so the CFL draft is hugely important … the challenge with top players is that the very best are attractive to the NFL and now the AAFL … so the first rounders are sometimes not the most talented players … those fall to the 2nd/3rd/4th round (depending on how likely teams feel they are to make it “down south”).

Understandable. So the strategy is to draft the better players in the later rounds and just take a few chances in the earlier rounds.

Le repêchage dans la LCF est peut-être moins important puisque les équipes s’attendent à ce que les plus gros potentiels tentent d’aller dans la NFL, et maintenant la AAF (Mark Chapman). De plus c’est rare qu’un joueur repêcher puisse non seulement être partant dès la première année, mais en plus être performant.

Dans le cas particulier des Alouettes, l’équipe est dans une situation où le système de recrutement au Canada et aux États-Unis sous Kavis Reed est mauvais et ne semble pas pouvoir attirer des joueurs de qualité. Du coup, les choix au repêchage sont plus importants pour les Alouettes qu’à la normale. Ce n’est pas pour rien que Kavis Reed a sorti les chèques au maximum pendant les deux dernières périodes des joueurs autonomes.