CFL Draft may 2nd Update where

Maybe an NFL fan on the Ticats staff thought Burt’s Patriots connection could get them Tom Brady’s autograph ?

:rofl:

Maybe he got confused and thought we were drafting Gronkowski ?

Ha; still like to see Burt be given a shot as an everydown type receiver in the 5 pack - a big target bruiser, like another Rocky D; I just don’t think the offensive coaching staff there would be open to that concept ?

Well so far in his limited healthy time with the team so far he has filled the roll of designated bench warmer quite nicely . That is of course when he is not in the tub where he has so far spent most of his time while here .

Yeah, but he could get healthy and be given a shot as a big slotback type; I just don’t believe he will be.

When we drafted him and I heard he ran a 4.6 in the 40 I thought they would look at him as a slotback. Imagine a guy that size with a running start. Sometimes players test well but just don’t have it on the field. We might never know with Burt. Seems like they were more interested in turning him into a Nikola Kalinic type but he doesn’t strike me as nearly physical enough. I’d be happy if they could get him 20-25 passes a year out of short yardage as a tight end, especially inside the 10 yard line but a)he needs to stay healthy and b)the coaches need to have some confidence in him. Not sure either one of those comes to pass.

2 Likes

C. He has to earn his spot during Training Camp.

He also is firmly buried down the depth chart at 3rd string behind Garand-Gauthier and the versatile Myles Manalo at the FB/TE position . I honestly would not be a bit surprised to see Burt outright released or traded before the season starts . Maybe they can even swing a trade with Saskatchewan and get a much needed draft pick back in return .

1 Like

He has to earn his spot during Training Camp. It was stated 10 posts earlier .

It seemed like when he was healthy last year, he split time with Garand-Gauthier. Don’t remember Manalo getting reps on offence but I could be wrong. G-G might indeed leapfrog him entirely as the main H-back type guy - he got open on a few long gadget plays last year and seems to have a knack for slipping by the linebackers unnoticed. As a straight blocking back though I can’t say I’ve watched him enough to say how good he is at that. Still think we miss Kalinic.

2 Likes

If Lawrence is under the microscope then so is Burt. He has to earn his spot.

1 Like

The Regina-born Burt was coveted by a number of teams since becoming draft eligible, including his hometown Saskatchewan Roughriders. Also, there was speculation around the league that if Burt didn’t come off the board first or second, multiple teams were considering trading up to select him.

1 Like

Thanks. Looked for any sort of Burt hype and couldnt find any. Besides in here I mean.

Once upon a time, Josiah St. John, Faith Ekakitie, Kito Poblah and Randy Colling were climbing up the draft boards too. Lots of swings and misses in the CFL draft.

Marshall Ferguson has the RedBlacks taking DT Lwal Uguak 1st overall in his mock draft; guy played at a big Div I program but was just a back-up DT in his last season; and weighed in at an under-sized for a pro/CFL DT 260 pound range at his pro day, with no real outstanding test #s. Not sure i get this guy as a CFL first round pick ?

I think these prognosticators sometimes like to think they know who the real sleepers are and stick their neck out on the off chance they hit it right and look like a genius. Reality is they probably couldn’t predict who will become a star in this league any more than you
or I. To me most of the guys who were consensus top 20 players are usually the ones to ride with and mostly come as advertised (e.g. Philpot twins). I think teams get in trouble when they go all in on a guy who tested great at the combine but didn’t show much on game tape. That’s how you wind up with a Rupert Butcher.

A guy like Marshall who covers the league and gets to know CFL people (GMs, coaches, scouts) might hear a lot of talk, gossip about who they think the top prospects are; so, he might have some good info to go by.

But the CFL draft can always be counted on, IMO, for some questionable, iffy or downright whacky picks.

To me - 1st round draft picks should always be players who were - 1st and most important - proven starters in college ball - multi year starters, all-star recognition, top stats guys AND backed by some solid to outstanding Combine testing #s. Not meeting those criteria = a risky or dumb pick. And there is precious little evidence of guys not meeting those standards, but who are good testers or “athletes” or are viewed as special projects, who become solid CFL players

Ahhh, now I see the problem, he’s waterlogged:)

2 Likes

Those players you describe like a Bergeron , Brown Brothers, Robinson , Wayne , Sutherland, etc, … are NFL draftable or free agent NFL signings would all be first rounders in the CFL . There in lies the difficulty for Canadian teams . Do you even bother drafting them if you’ll never see them play north of the border . Top Canadian University players will get evaluation camp invites and some of them may sign in the states .
All of these factors have to be considered in the CFL Draft . That is why the draft is often unpredictable .

3 Likes

I can still remember Condell going all ga-ga when they drafted Burt saying they had big plans for him in the Ticat offence because he was so versatile and that they can use him in many different ways. Guess 'ol Tommy Boy changed his mind. :roll_eyes: