CFL Draft May 10

The TiCats have 8 picks in the seven rounds : 5th, 14th, 18th, 23, 32, 39, 41, and 59. BC, Calgary, and Sask have six picks each. The Bombers and Als have seven. Ottawa and the Argos have 8, just like the Cats.

The math works out to 63 picks after allowing for the supplemental 2015 picks by the Bombers and the Stamps.
A couple of sure signs of spring - the CFL Combine is this weekend and the turkey vultures have returned to the Niagara Escarpment. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Pat Lynch(the old guy)

β€œThere are possible instant impact-makers available at every traditional Canadian CFL position.?

Here are the latest CFL Scouting Bureau Rankings

DECEMBER SCOUTING BUREAU RANKINGS
Rank Name Position School Hometown
1 (1) Tevaun Smith WR Iowa Toronto
2 (2) David Onyemata DL Manitoba Lagos, Nigeria
3 (6) Josiah St. John OL Oklahoma Toronto
4 (9) Mehdi Abdesmad DL Boston College Montreal
5 (3) Arjen Colquhoun DB Michigan St. Windsor, Ont.
6 (10)Charles Vaillancourt OL Laval Coaticook, Que.
7 (5) Mercer Timmis RB Calgary Burlington, Ont.
8 (17)Trent Corney DL Virginia Brockville, Ont.
9 (-) Taylor Loffler DB UBC Kelowna, B.C.
10 (8)Mitchell Winters DL Miami (Ohio) Mississauga, Ont.
11 (7) Dillon Guy OL Buffalo Hamilton, Ont.
12 (11)Juwan BrescacinWR Northern Illinois Mississauga, Ont.
13 (15)Philippe GagnonOL Laval L’Ancienne-Lorette, Que.
14 (19)Jason Lauzon-SeguinOL Laval Pointe-Claire, Que.
15 (13) Anthony ThompsonDB Southern Illinois Montreal
16 (4) Elie Bouka DB Calgary Laval, Que.
17 (12)Llevi Noel WR Toronto Toronto
18 (-)Brian Jones WR Acadia Enfield, N.S.
19 (16)Doug Corby WR Queens Burlington, Ont.
20 (-)Quinn Van Gylswyk K/P UBC Victoria, B.C.

3 picks in the top 20 is nice! :rockin: (#18 is from SSK for Boudreaux)

It would be nice if we could get the UBC Kicker with the #23 pick :wink:

I don't follow college ball..is there anyone worth trading up for orr maybe even trading down for?

I will be absolutely shocked if we don't draft Van Gylswyk in this draft. Looking elsewhere at our present line-up and Canadian depth and who was lost Canadian wise in FA I would like to see hopefully a db drafted who could play corner and possibly replace Edem backing up Stephen,possibilities are Arjen Colquhoun (Michigan State-Ranked #5 ) Taylor Lofler(UBC-Ranked #9) Anthony Thompson (S.Illinois-Ranked #15) Elie Bouka (Calgary-Ranked #16). An O-L man would be next on my wish list as our depth here is lacking especially with the trading of O'Neill leaving only Rice and Girard at the present time as back-ups and reserves. The choices here I think would be Charles Vaillancourt (LaVal-Ranked #6)
Philippe Gagnon (LaVal-Ranked #13) Jason Lauzon-Sequin (LaVal-Ranked #14) or local Hamilton boy Dillon Guy(Buffalo-Ranked #11).
So with picks #5/#14/#18 my wish list is I think very doable , we select one of each a d-back and o-line with our first two picks from the above mentioned players and if Van Gylswyk is still available and there's no reason to think he won't be we snag him with pick #18 or hopefully 5 picks later at #23 after that the last four picks (#32,#39,#41,#59) I can see Austin as usual selecting best man available regardless of position to restock our special teams units much like last year.
This draft if it goes according to my plan will give us without a doubt the BEST CANADIAN talent and depth in the entire league bar none. :rockin: :smiley:

Mercer Timmis, great grandson of the "Old Man of the Mountain" Brian Timmis, would be my sentimental first pick.

:rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :cowboy:

In my opinion, the Ticat needs in the draft are (in this order):

-kicker (a kid who can do all three...placekick, punt and kickoff)
-receiver (Fantuz is getting older, and Watt is coming off a big injury)
-DB (another jack of all trades guy who can backup at safety or DB, like Daly, to provide depth behind Stephen and Butler)
-OL (next kid in the pipeline)
-DL (next kid in the pipeline)
-the best special teams guy we can find at the tail end of the draft

Our Canadian depth at LB is good enough, IMO.

I agree with bobo82. That is exactly the way I would go in the draft. Here's the tricky part. Kent Austin is totally unpredictable. Did anyone see us drafting all those linebackers last year? They all contributed on the teams and our special teams were very special last year.
We don't have any serious needs , so perhaps a trade or two could happen. I love the Combine and the Draft! :thup: :thup: :thup:

Pat Lynch(the old guy)

This guy is the top prospect but likely NFL bound. There are slim pickings in the CIS and the priority for all teams will be to stock up on "O" lineman to fill the quota.

[url=http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/6385579-onyemata-poised-to-stage-historic-pro-day/]http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/638 ... c-pro-day/[/url]

Not surprisingly number #2 ranked Onyemata isn't even listed on Justin Dunks CFL.ca Mock Draft 1.0. Also speaking of O-Line not surprising that 5 of the top 9 in his list are indeed 'O" Linemen. Dunk also has the number #1 ranked Tevaun Smith-wr going number 9 in the 1rst round to the Bombers. Personally I can see both these players getting some serious looks and interest from the NFL this season and any teams that are thinking about drafting these two in the 1rst round are doing so at their own risk.

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/03/07/2016-cfl-mock-draft-1-0/

Just watched Laval OL Phillipe Gagnon put up 40 reps on the bench press, 225lbs. like it was a toothpick!

Justin Dunk ?@JDunk12 19m19 minutes ago
#Laval OL Philippe Gagnon pumps out 225 lbs. 40 times to claim bench press title at 2016

Justin Dunk ?@JDunk12 14m14 minutes ago
#Laval OL Philippe Gagnon's one rep max on the bench press: 429 pounds.

6'4", 311 lbs. BEAST

I like Hamilton's own Dillon Guy. Coming off an injury or would be ranked higher.

Drew EdwardsVerified account ?@scratchingpost 1h1 hour ago
Drew Edwards Retweeted 3DownNation
According to @JDunk12, the #Ticats are interviewing @ubctbirds K/P @QuinnVanGylswyk

Unbelievable performance by Gagnon :thup: check it out :rockin: This guy would look GREAT in Black "n" Gold :smiley:

[url=http://www.cfl.ca/2016/03/12/gagnon-notches-bench-press-best-on-saturday/]http://www.cfl.ca/2016/03/12/gagnon-not ... -saturday/[/url]

Hopefully the Ti-Cats can come away with Arjei Colquhoun (to back up Stephen), Dillon Guy (to back up Dyakowski), Brian Jones (to back up Fantuz)

My Draft priority list is

• O Line, time to restock some future "O"linemen
      2 .- DB
    • The UBC kicker with the 18th or hopefully the 23rd pick

It is a pretty deep draft and we have 4 picks in the top 23, if we could get 2 OL's, a DB and
UBC kicker Quinn van Gylswyk, it would be perfect. :rockin:

Don't know what the ranking is based on, but I wouldn't wait to sign the canadian kicker, regardless of his ranking as it is a real area of need. Why did we let Medlock go?

I believe Medlock was a victim of his own success. Losing his salary has probably allowed the Cats to spend in other areas. If he had a weakness, it may have been his punting in windy conditions but his punt placements were an asset to the special teams
I hope we find a good replacement but I think we'll miss his game winning kicks. :frowning:

Pat Lynch(the old guy)

I think a great kicker is taken for granted when you have one.
When you don't have one you sure notice it. Not too long ago we had a great Aussie punter and a weak FG kicker and it was tough to watch.
It is tough to step in as a rookie and take on all ST kicking jobs. I think the Cats will draft the West Coast kicker and bring in plenty of competition. It is a very tough and under rated job. I predict we will again see a American start the season as the FG kicker for the 2016 Cats. It is the safest way to go.

Boris Bede did it last year.

It will be interesting to see where the kid gets drafted. There are at least four teams interested. It is very possible one of those teams is prepared to draft him earlier than logic dictates.

If there is interest from other teams, I wouldn't risk losing him. Maybe even take him with our first pick. It's a bit hard to rank a kicker, I would assume. So him being ranked #20 is subjective. Does anyone know how high other kickers have gone in previous drafts?