CFL DRAFT LIVE ON TSN

CFL FANS,

WHAT ABOUT HAVING THE CFL COLLEGE DRAFT LIVE ON CANADIAN TELEVISION ? I THINK IT WOULD GIVE MORE CREDIBILITY TO THE LEAGUE AND OUR CANADIAN PLAYERS. THE LEAGUE COULD MAKE MONEY BY SELLING ADVERTISING. I THINK WE LOOSE TRACK OF OUR GAME DURING THE OFF-SEASON.

I NEED ALL OF YOUR THOUGHTS ? OUR GAME NEED MORE EXPOSURE… MARK COHON IF YOU READ THIS YOU SHOULD CONSIDER IT…AND BOB YOUNG BRING THE SUBJECT ON THE NEXT OWNER’S MEETING

I think I saw Homer watching the CFL draft in an episode many year ago.

So I guess the audience would be at least 2.

I remember when they used to have the draft at Hamilton Place. 5 or 6 people would show up, so they moved it to teleconferencing to reduce costs. Leverage technology, reduce costs.

The CFL draft isn't like the NFL draft. The NFL prospects are well known and there's a ton of publicity leading up to the event. Even if they did put the CFL draft on TV would you know who any of the players are? Plus, it wouldn't be very interesting to see people calling in the picks.

The only way TSN would put this on TV is if they thought they could get a bigger audience than their regularly scheduled programming, and I highly doubt that the CFL draft would get those kinds of ratings.

...having said all that, I would probably watch it.

This is a non-starter. No one follows the CIS and therefore even fewer would watch a televised draft of people no one has ever heard of. I wish it were otherwise but that's the truth.

An Argo-Cat fan

1. The CIS players are not going to fly across Canada to go to a draft where they might not get selected.

2. Some players are already working out in the states for NFL teams (Like Lumsden when we drafted him) so they could not attend. Some even get DRAFTED by NFL teams, so they obviously wont attend.

Overall the pool of players that might get drafted is too large, and its not worth it when really only 40-50 players actually get drafted.

who cares, even if its just a shot of the GM's in a room doing the draft, cutting to highlights and having an analyst or two in studio to comment.

i'd watch that.

I thought I remembered that.....

"Homer is watching the CFL Draft on TV. The team mentioned is the Saskatchewan Roughriders. A rouge is when the football is kicked into the opposing teams endzone and not returned. The CFL draft is not broadcast on TV. Not even in Canada."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_Flanders_Failed

I think it’s kind of disappointing that it’s not televised. Of course I do understand the reasons why. Like others said, I’d be interested in watching it.

I was going over some of the eligible players, and it looks like we have some decent WR entering.

It’d also be fun to watch what Hamilton does. They have four picks in the first two rounds. They could do some serious damage in the next season.

Just draft a dead guy - it’d be an instant TV sensation.

I’d watch it regardless, I’m getting itchy for some Canadian football talk on TV, anything!!

The Canadian Draft is Just too small to be Put on TV.
I could see an Internet Brodcast Being Done.

CFL Clubs would have to agree to having Cams in the war rooms..

I'd watch it regardless, I'm getting itchy for some Canadian football talk on TV, anything!!

I agree with you, Earl. More needs to be done to develop interest in our game and showing the draft proceedings could be an excellant opportunity; even if it was a small but critical segment which could be shown on Canadian newscasts.

Hmmm... I've seen Dog Shows, NHL players playing poker, and (ugh!) fishing on TSN! Why not show our draft?

It would give them some valuable Canadian content to appease the Big Brother CRTC!

I remember that episode. I remember the commentators remarking how the Rouughriders gave up far too many rouges the previous season, therefore needing some help in that area...pretty funny.

Why doesn't The Score televise the draft. Usually they're all over broadcasting obscure sporting events
from all over the country. You can't tell me the draft wouldn't be watched more than the sixth installment of some stale, pre-taped QB challenge.

Wikipedia is known for oft providing sketchy or incorrect info; the CFL draft has been televised in the past. TSN showed it at one time I believe; not sure about before TSN was around.

Would be great to see somebody pick it up now - maybe The Score, who do a nice job on CIS ball and have Duane Forde, who about the best CFL commentator around now, IMO. Contrary to what somebody said above, there are some CIS football fans out there and they might be interested along with some CFL fanatics - be good to get cross-promotion of the 2 games and help build the fan base of Canadian football in general. I'd watch along with Homer and some other CANADIAN football fanatics; I wouldn't expect many of the many wannabe types out there to be interested - we can hear from those types on these type forums bad-mouthing Candian football often enough - they can p!*s-off and watch something else - real CFL fans who have some respect for the Canadian talent in the league might be interested and tune into a CFL draft presentation on TV.

Good thread with some very good posts.

Now that TSN and the CFL have entered into a new, exclusive five year broadcast agreement, it is in the interests of TSN and the CFL to televise the CFL Draft to promote their product in advance of the CFL regular season. Even a modest television presentation of the CFL Draft would attract many CFL fans from across the country, particularly if the draft is held on a weeknight or a Saturday or Sunday.

Henry Waszczuk, represent.

One thing the CFL draft would have going for it is that it is much shorter in length than the NFL draft. I watched the first round of the NFL draft on TSN last year and it went for 6 hours!

I totally thought it was a ridiculous length, but nevertheless, it gave the ESPN guys time to do a lot of in depth discussion on what player the team might draft, what their needs were etc. All of which I'm sure could be done by TSN guys.