CFL discussion (non-Tiger-Cat)

It appears Chris Jones signs players the way I buy stuff at Costco. With such a great return policy it's "Buy now, think later"

Or someone just told him he can't hide 90 players the way he did with Sask.

2 Likes

If these are the 3 sticking points
They are not overly demanding at all by the CFLPA !

I am in favour of selected padded practices!
Our Oline last season was a perfect example
It is hard to coach Olinemen when there is no contact in practice

4 Likes

In my previous dealings with unions in the past, if the employer says this is our final offer it usually came down to a vote. The union would say to it's members we strongly do not recommend this offer but it was put to a vote. If the final offer is rejected then the union is in a position to go on strike until a settlement is reached. Don't really understand what is going on here.

3 Likes

The PA is trying it's absolute best to not send this to a vote... For obvious reasons

1 Like

Not Surprising that the guy trying to rebuild a team with no history with the pervious players would have a lot of turnover.

1 Like

In doing so, they're in effect saying that they should make the decisions rather than the PA membership. Not cool.

Maybe they need to do a better job of explaining why it should be a no vote in their opinion.

2 Likes

Hard to argue that.

One assumes at a potential ratification meeting that the sticking points the negotiating committee has will be explained and why this should be rejected and not rejected out of hand...

Often when an offer like the one the BOG presented are indeed presented, it goes to a players union vote.

This has yet to happen.

3 Likes

If the strike isn't settled, early this week, the Alberta teams' training camps will be 3 days longer than the other seven, a 20% prep-for-the-season advantage.

I disagree
There have been 2 offers made by the League
1st offer - 10 years @ flat cap
2nd offer - 1st day of strike position, the one just offered, Union sent counter proposal and the League refused to take it and negotiate!

Negotiators do not take that take it or leave it offer on the 1st day to their membership to vote on it.
They take an offer to the members when they feel it was the best that they could get!

6 Likes

A nice write up by Steve Milton on the Ticats here

1 Like

All this article reminds me of is that regardless of who's fault this is, this was one thing that should have never happened.

You can call it meaningless if no games are missed but the headline alone "CFL players are on strike" is enough. After a missed season and a shortened season, both sides should be embarrassed.

Sometimes you think all involved with this league just can't get out of their own way.

6 Likes

I agree, It has only been a few days, the Alberta teams aren't even in a strike position yet, I believe wednesday is their day
I really think/hope :crossed_fingers: this is going to end pretty soon

4 Likes

If they actually got in a room together and started negotiating again they’d likely have it wrapped up in 2 days.

My guess is they sit back down late this week/early next and get this hammered out. They’ll probably cancel the first round of exhibition games. Both sides would be crazy to let it drag longer.

6 Likes

Speedy and Andrew Harris

:face_vomiting:

4 Likes

Who wants to caption that photo? :rofl:

Harris: "Hey Speedy, I'm glad you weren't returning kickoffs during the Grey Cup."

3 Likes

"Hey, B, whats the deal with TC fans saying you're washed up ?"

Harris: Hey Speedy,
Whats that methylenedioxyamphetamine like,
is it better than the roids I'm taking?

4 Likes

Speedy: I like Toronto just fine but I’m not sure what it will be like playing in front of less fans in the stands than when I was in middle school.

3 Likes