CFL discussion (non-Tiger-Cat)

Woody Baron cut loose by the Lions …

1 Like

Scratch Jeffcoat. He’s retiring.

2 Likes

Harsh words for MTL from Stanback!

2 Likes

Wow! The cost of a LG, in the CFL, will take quite a jump in '25.
The TiCats did well, back in December, extending Revenberg for two more years, I’m sure, without increasing his salary, by a third, for the second year.

1 Like

IMHO, That Oline without the threat of Oulette won’t perform to the same as last year

6 Likes

I’m still in disbelief that they would let Ouelette go.

3 Likes

That’s the thing about Free Agency, teams don’t necessarily let players go. If the player doesn’t want to be there you can’t force him to stay. If someone else wants to significantly overreach (Elks, Dunbar, 2023) the responsible thing is to back out of the discussion and let him go.

1 Like

Their QB1 is now being paid like a QB1 this year, which is why they’ve had to let a bunch of quality players go, including Ouelette.

1 Like

When I look at Ouellette that throwback mullet doesn’t exactly scream out downtown Toronto to me. It could be he’s more at home in a smaller city. His money will definitely go farther in Regina.

3 Likes

Agreed that his money will go farther in Regina. On “fit” with the city, you could be right. It’s hard to know. We have a head coach in Montreal who seems like he’d be a much more natural fit in the Prairies.

Also quite possible that Toronto didn’t want to budget more than a certain amount for RB1 and Oulette just got too expensive for them. Seems to be the trend in football these days.

1 Like

With that oline Argos should be able to plug in a new back and be fairly successful running the ball. Even if he doesn’t start Adeboboye should be ready to take a bigger role on offence.

1 Like

12:40 p.m. EST — One player who won’t be going to Calgary for the moment: defensive tackle Ricky Walker. Despite agreeing to terms with the Stampeders during the negotiation window, John Hodge is now reporting that he is holding off on signing as he mulls his future.

Even though the trifecta of Argos “agreed” to deals, I would like to see the formal announcements. Leave no doubt.

Good point, Kovacro.
Ed Hervey, linked in the Ticats Free Agency Tracker 2024 thread spoke of having to wait and hope that players are “true to their word,” at the end of the communications window.

A good pick up by EDM – the league’s Most Outstanding Special Teams Player Javon Leake – and the Argos lose another good one. :grin:

2 Likes

Ken Ploen was a TiCat killer . A great player ! RIP and may his memory be a blessing :heartbeat:

1 Like

He sure was in the Fog Bowl which is the one I remember. And our QB was pretty good too.

1 Like

[quote=“WOOFDOG, post:5754, topic:72615”]

He sure was in the Fog Bowl which is the one I remember. And our QB was pretty good too.

[/quote

Ploen played quarterback for the Winnipeg from 1957 to 1967. He also filled in at halfback and safety. Ploen led his team to six Grey Cup appearances (1957, 1958, 1959, 1961, 1962, 1965), including four victories: 1958, 1959, 1961, 1962 and two losses: 1957, 1965. In the 49th Grey Cup game (1961), he scored one of the most memorable touchdowns in professional football history, eluding numerous defenders on an eighteen-yard run into the endzone during overtime to win it He was voted the 1961 Grey Cup Most Valuable Player, was selected as a divisional All-Star three times.

2 Likes