CFL discussion (non-Tiger-Cat)

How about Wonderful Monds of the Ottawa Rough Riders 1976 , 77 , and 1979 .

If I’m not mistaken wasn’t he a junior ? Also his middle name was Terrific which means there was a Wonderful Terrific Monds before him . Also he ended up having a son himself that he named Wonderful Terrific Monds III who wound up playing baseball in the MLB for the Braves .

Good genes . :+1:

More like Wonderful Terrific genes .

1 Like

That tackle’s play was only overshadowed by the amateur doing play-by-play.

Chad Kelly on a sports podcast at about the 45 minute mark.
Main highlights are his plans to make his NFL comeback in 2024. He feels if he wins another Grey Cup then the NFL will not be able to ignore him.
He also talks about the CFL being an "easier" game ( waggle, 1 yard off).
If I was an Argo fan, I would be very concerned about this upcoming season.

4 Likes

Well, he certainly doesn’t lack for confidence. The interviewers said he was the most talented QB in his draft year (2017), and Kelly said “no doubt.” (starts around 48:20 in the video)

For reasons unknown, Patrick Mahomes was drafted at #10 overall that season while Kelly went at #253 (7th round). But according to Kelly, Mahomes himself was in awe of his talent.

3 Likes

Il devra faire ses preuves avant de dire que c’est un football plus “facile”. Elles ne sont pas encore faites. Oui, les rĂšglements du football canadien favorisent une offensive plus variĂ©e, mais encore faut-il exĂ©cuter comme il faut. Ça vaut pour toutes les ligues.

Kelly semble dans les mĂȘmes dispositions que Manziel, mais souhaitons-lui qu’il a le talent de ses ambitions. Sinon, ça risque de lui jouer dans la tĂȘte et il finira peut-ĂȘtre exactement comme Manziel.

Tout Ă  fait d’accord, si j’étais un supporteur des Argonauts, je ne serais pas chaud Ă  l’idĂ©e de le voir Ă  la tĂȘte de l’attaque. Pire, si j’étais Ă  la place de Dinwiddie, je chercherais maintenant Ă  former son successeur pour le laisser de cĂŽtĂ© Ă  la premiĂšre occasion. On ne gagne pas la Coupe Grey avec la tĂȘte au sud de la frontiĂšre.

2 Likes

Kelly was Mr. Irrelevant in that draft , i.e. the last man drafted :laughing:

Chad's resume

Had 1 start in the CFL against MTL

Played in the GreyCup for 11 mins completed four of six attempts for 43 yards with no touchdowns or interceptions and rushed twice for 21 yards.
Thats it! :woozy_face:

He thinks there is a line up of NFL teams scambling to sign him!
:roll_eyes:

7 Likes

Little bit of a mis-quote there. Note the word IF.

“You’ve gotta just win right now. And if I go out and do what I was meant to do — which is to play football at a high level and score touchdowns and win games — if we go back-to-back championships, they can’t really hold you back from the NFL,” Kelly said. “But that doesn’t necessarily mean that I don’t want to be back in the CFL as well. It’s a great game.”

1 Like

Said Mr. Irrelevant :laughing:

Well, if Kelly is the most talented QB in North America, and the CFL is an easier game, and he is taking the reins of the Grey Cup champion, I would say he has no excuses.

6 Likes

Being drafted to the NFL is a big deal

2 Likes

He probably wouldn’t had even been considered if his last name wasn’t Kelly and his uncle wasn’t some guy named Jim with the same last name .

3 Likes

Manziel was drafted.

Thus.

1 Like

Dead last ?

Gets you to training camp.

1 Like

Garney Henley drafted a dead guy.
I don't think he attended training camp tho.

2 Likes

The San Francisco 49ers and Brock Purdy did pretty well after all their QB injuries