CFL considering moving Playoffs Rd1 and 2 to Saturdays

I’m inclined to agree Krisiun. As a retired old guy, Saturdays are good. For my kids and grand kids, it is usually a busy, do the errands type of day. But, I will watch regardless, they, not so much. Casual fans are a tough market.

Might be worth a one or two year experiment?

Rather have Grey Cup on Sunday. Its more than a game, its a festival. The festival begins on Wednesday and continues through to the game on Sunday. The build up to the game over the previous few days adds to the excitement. There is Grey Cup coverage for a few days in advance. You would lose some of that by moving the game to Saturday.

Whatever TSN wants TSN will get. 40 million dollars (the amount of the current TV deal) has a lot of wieght in a 9 team league. The facts are that the playoff game ratings were down last year and NFL Sunday viewership is up in Canada. I would prefer Saturday just for travel and or drinking beer’s sake.

While talking TSN, it looks like we'll be seeing a lot more smiling on their CFL panel this season:

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/henry-burris-shifts-his-focus-back-to-his-football-roots

It pains me to say it, but Burris was actually informative and insightful in most of his appearances on TSN last year. Plus Dunnigan and especially Stegall were willing to deflate his ego when he gets a little too pompous and self-serving.

He was decent as a colour guy - but a moron on the panel. Biggest fraud of them all.

Fun side effect for the CFL is that Saturday isn’t a school night, bit of a chance to get the kids out for playoff games as well.

We were always fine for a the rare ticat playoff games growing up (assuming they were of the 1pm variety) but by the time the cats started making the playoffs again, my brother and I were already older.

Getting the next gen of CFL fans to the games and watching games has got to be considered in every big decision making process. Satuday playoff games (although maybe not the GC) helps move that needle IMO

I am going to miss Jock Climie.

No and NO

PGA golf has compressed their season, so as not to be competing with NFL games in the fall. Their golf season ending tournament is at the end of August (the Tour Championship in Atlanta). They now play a wrap around season with the 2019 - 2020 season beginning in October with some lesser known events . The Hawaii tournaments in January signal the beginning of the “real” golf season.

I have no problem with Saturday CFL games . NHL games in November are more hit and giggle games that shouldn’t compete for eyeballs with 3 consecutive CFL Saturday dates.

Pat Lynch (the old person)

Thankfully the next 3 Grey Cup dates are already announced and are on Sundays.