CFL considering moving Playoffs Rd1 and 2 to Saturdays

Personally - love the idea.

https://3downnation.com/2019/02/25/cfl-may-move-playoff-games-to-saturday-this-season/

Agreed, love the idea.

I’ve never understood why the CFL seems to try to avoid Sundays all regular season, seemingly acknowledging that they’re bad for ratings, but then puts playoff games on Sundays.

It’s been tried before and it was not a success.

I prefer Sundays,but if it’s moved to Saturdays I will watch just the same.

Richard

In the 60s and 70s playoff games and greycup were played on Saturday afternoon. Its only been turn of the century and the 90’s I think , that the cfl changed their format.

PLAYOFFS!!?

Hopefully it’ll make a difference in some markets; in Hamilton, I don’t think scheduling keeps any of us away.

From the stadium no, from the TV? Possibly .

Ah, memories of Jim Mora and coaches who engage with the media . Herm Edwards (Captain Obvious) said “You play to win the games”.

Nobody shuts down a conference better than Coach Belichick’s “We’re on to Cincinatti !”

Our own coach Jim Trimble, when asked who’d win the Cat - Peg Grey Cup, said “We’ll waffle them!” Sadly we lost but coaches like Trimble and Leo Cahill made the games a must watch event .

Pat Lynch (thanks to the Dork for the memory jolt)

Certainly allows for a few extra libations without worrying about work the next day.

DAH, Could it be because there’s another little known sport on Sundays, the NFL ??
When you get into November you’re fighting for viewership with the NFL and The Nhl.
Saturday Afternoons might do it.

Oh I know the NFL is why the CFL avoids Sundays during the season.

I just don’t understand why you avoid it all year, then force your playoff games up against it. IMO, playoff games should be Saturdays.

I guess they figured there might be some patriotism amoung football watching Canadiens and they would take the Canadian playoff over the American reg. Season game.

Back in the sixties (and perhaps early seventies) there was a law called “The Lord’s Day Act”. Football could not be played on Sundays. (Originally it was also illegal for men to shave on Sundays).

“1906, The Lord’s Day Act
(See below for photo text of the 1906 Lord’s Day Act)
The Lord’s Day Act, which since 1906 had prohibited business transactions from taking place on Sundays, was struck down as unconstitutional in the 1985 case R. v. Big M Drug Mart Ltd. Calgary police officers witnessed several transactions at the Big M Drug Mart, all of which occurred on a Sunday. Big M was charged with a violation of the Lord’s Day Act. A provincial court ruled that the Lord’s Day Act was unconstitutional, but the Crown proceeded to appeal all the way to the Supreme Court of Canada. In a unanimous 6-0 decision, the Lord’s Day Act was ruled an infringement of the freedom of conscience and religion defined in section 2(a) of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.[11]
In 1888, the Lord’s Day Alliance came into existence as the result mainly of Presbyterian and Methodist interests. Leading up to 1906, the Lord’s Day Alliance advocated the national Lord’s Day Bill. They were opposed by Roman Catholics and Anglicans.
The Quebec government opposed it as well. Under Henri Bourassa’s leadership, Quebec argued for the rights of conscience and provincial autonomy in the Lord’s Day debate of 1906. The Roman Catholic Church supported Sunday as a day to attend the Mass and as a day to enjoy the simple, if not secular, benefits of a day off from work. This contrasted sharply with the strict sabbatarian ideas of the Presbyterian denomination.
Quebec Roman Catholic members of parliament sponsored an amendment that gave the administration of the 1906 Lord’s Day Act to the Attorney-General of each province. Just before the federal Act came into effect in 1907, Quebec passed a provincial law that guaranteed individuals such as Jews and Seventh-Day Adventists the right to work on Sunday if they observed some other day. This support for minority groups did not last. During the 1920s, Roman Catholics renewed their support for Sunday observance.[12]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_freedom_of_religion_in_Canada#1906,_The_Lord’s_Day_Act

I remember the “Fog Bowl” in 1962

which was the only 2 day Grey Cup game (started on a Saturday, play suspended due to fog, and finished the next day on a Sunday). This was the first football game in Canada played on a Sunday.

Really? So the Fog Bowl opened the floodgates?

Or more accurately, it proved that we would not be smited by flood or locusts or whatever if we acted normally on a Sunday. The smite actually came on the Saturday, so perhaps powerful forces were trying to steer us towards Sunday football, not away from it.

Or they figure people partying at a playoff game may want to sleep in the next morning.

Thanks for sharing Mike, quite the history lesson!

Agreed, that is quite the history lesson. Thanks for the knowledge!

I believe the first scheduledSunday Grey Cup game was 1969 in Montreal and, with the exception of the following year in Toronto, the championship has been played on Sunday ever since. Having attended Grey Cups in all nine cities, my preference, particularly when travelling to a game, is having the game played on Saturdays. Another preference would be afternoon games. But, I doubt we’ll ever see another one of those.

All 9 - cool! For traveling the Saturday does make more sense.

The Saturday might be better for live attendees because of travelling and hangovers.

However, there might be a dip in TV viewership for various reasons. Saturdays are usually very busy days for most people running around to grocery stores, Home Depot, family events and their kid’s sporting activities. They will also have to compete against Hockey Night In Canada with usually every Canadian market team playing on a Saturday night.

Sundays are usually the day when most people are chill and more likely to be inclined to gather around the TV. Especially casual fans.