CFL Commish approves Manziel; he can now negotiate a contract

This morning Manziel is hinting something is about to happen as he posted on social media for the first time in over a month. He posted a black and white photo on instagram of him throwing a football tagged with 'Just wait on it - comebackSZN' (SZN is short for season).

And in reply to one of the comments on the post he replied with a Canadian flag.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2018/01/07/former-texas-am-quarterback-breaks-silence-twitter-troll-browns-hints-returning-football

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/da080a_2ebdb14655aa4dfb82209311a41f0898~mv2.jpg/v1/fill/w_630,h_1118,al_c,q_85,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/da080a_2ebdb14655aa4dfb82209311a41f0898~mv2.webp

and then on another reply he said he was "just trolling".

Well he did do a couple of other posts really trolling Cleveland Browns 0 - 16 season.

The guy still clearly has a following - over 87,000 likes of his picture in 7 hours on Instagram. Make that 92,000 now.

103,000 likes and counting.

Assuming he does sign with the Cats - it can only be good in terms of media and social media attention for the CFL.

If he doesn't act like a spoiled brat with too much stupid partying behaviour. Have moxy, sure, but he has to grow up to be effective in any pro league.

My Browns have never recovered from drafting this buffoon.

His is a stench that permeates years after he's been shown the door.

So Manziel either accepts the contract, or if he refuses, he remains on the Ticats negotiation list for another year?

Or they can trade his rights I assume, don't know.

Or he pulls a Chris Williams takes the team to court and wins???

My guess is Cats will trade his rights. To Montreal. I bet on it.

Here’s an exclusive photo of Johnny walking the streets of Hamilton mulling over if he’ll accept the Cats contract offer or not . ;D

My guess is that the Ticats have made him two offers, the first being a two year contract at whatever the league has told them is a reasonable salary (maybe $80K per year?), and a second one for three years at a slightly higher salary but with some bonus money thrown in.

So, which one would be more attractive to Manziel? We know his goal is to get back to the NFL, and we know that he comes from a wealthy family. My guess is that he won't pass up the chance to play this year, so takes the two year deal. With that, he will end up being Masoli's backup this year, but will get some playing time, perhaps even a start near the end of the year.

I don't see the Ticats trading him. Jones has liked Manziel for years, and may have only taken the Ticats coaching job to get a chance to work with him.

As for Manziel pulling a Williams move, that's always a possibility. But I think Austin learned from that one, and won't leave anything to chance in his option year letter, running it by the team's and the league's lawyers before sending it out.

I would think realistically you could double that to maybe $160K/yr + bonuses for 2 years(1+1)

David William Naylor?Verified account
@TSNDaveNaylor
The @Ticats have made an offer of a 2-year contract to @JManziel2. Offer made on Saturday. Believed to be a competitive offer, not just the minimum to extend their rights beyond 10-day window that closes today. #CFL #Ticats

The Ticats should offer Manziel a contract assuming he's going to be successful, at least Vince Young money, back-ended so he could be cut before his big payday's kick-in, i.e. $100k base + $4k per start in the first year and $250k + $6k per start in Year two; and $350k + $6k in Year three with a NFL tryout option after Year two with an agreement to release him if he signs a NFL contract.

As a Cats fan - I hope we sign him and under June Jones he excels and regains some of his A&M Heisman form. He was fun to watch with the Aggies. I also hope (fingers crossed) that he’s matured enough to be a truly professional football player with minimal distracting antics.

One thing for sure - he’ll draw attention and potentially new fans to the team and league if he ends up here. Heck he’s got more likes in 15 hours on his Instagram photo of him throwing a football than the Ti-Cats Facebook page has had total. (169,000 to 106,599).

He won't make me buy tickets, I think the best the CFL can do is put him in a big city like Montreal. Hamilton for Manziel is like some rinky dink city to him I would think. Just won't work. Bettman mentality. Montreal at least gives him a big-time image even with a small salary NFL wise.

He'll never play a down in Steeltown, mark my words.

What a dumb post. It’s not up to the CFL, the Ticats hold his CFL rights.

If they extended him a contract offer, it’s because they want him on their roster. No matter how much I don’t want him there.

Louis Butko?
[ltr]@TSN_LouisB[/ltr]
55m55 minutes ago
I asked #Ticats Kent Austin about “after the window? last Thursday: “Let’s be honest, we’re not going to allow an asset we protected for so long and walked through this process with… we’re not going to let him leave the Hamilton Tiger Cats? #CFL #Manziel

Now that Masoli has extended, Montreal should be looking at Cody Fajardo at this point. Here is a solid guy who’s been coached for 3 years by Milanovich and Trestman. He’s 25 years old, 6.5" spends his off season coaching young QB’s in Nevada. That’s a solid QB you can build around. I suspect BC will be all over him as well.

Montreal and Manziel… That would be terrible for him and for the franchise. They can’t afford that gamble at this point, he can’t afford to even see Crescent street. Hamilton wants to take that chance that’s fine. Masoli better not lose two in a row because the calls to start Manziel will be everywhere.