CFL Commentary

I could not care less about the commentators.
I watch the game!

Funny how last year everyone was complaining about the silent broadcasts when the CBC had its lock out. Now there are complaints about the commentators

Everyone?? I, for one, was not one of the people complaining on the lack of commentary on the CBC.....

Ok most :wink:

I watch football... I'm a season ticket holder. I can personally do without commentary sure. I do recognize however that there is a clear-cut quality that can be ascertained in the ability of a broadcast team to convey a vocal description of the action.

CBC does not have one broadcast crew that can do this without stating erroneous facts, mixing up player names & not being able to communicate a sense of excitement for particular moments in the game. They's let go of the only talented broadcasters they had in Cuthbert & their former host, Brian Williams.

TSN does have its fair share of lame commentators. They do however have the best in the business in Chris Cuthbert & they don't have anyone on their broadcast team who continuously stumbles over the english language let alone the action at hand.

Lets not even get into the pre-game / half-time panels...

I like both. :thup:

But more people can watch CFL games on the CBC than they can on TSN.

The CBC is shown every where in Canada. :thup:

How about TSN produced CFL games on CTV to make up for CBC losing the rights to the CFL...

Suitor does yap. He definitely comes as close to the insanity of the MNF colour commentators as you'll find in Canadian sports coverage... and that's still not even close. However, liek I said before, TSN has its own room for improvement but they do not make the blatant mistakes in covering the game that CBC crews make over & over without correction or improvement for years now.

Its really a shame that TSN doesn't produce the Grey Cup & air it on CTV ala the World Cup final... the game would sell so much better.

I love Canadian commentary. Watching the NFL, they have way to many stats and it gets annoying.

I prefer CBC commenating as well. Everyone seems to hate Fluties commentating but i respect his insight and love to hear his opinion on different plays during the game.

Probably why they stopped using him right there. I dont watch the CBC much for football I lost absolutely all respect for them when they were aymmering on one game about Jason French I think and the camerman was focusing exclusively on him while in the background you could hear the fans in Regina going nuts because burris just pulled out a brilliant run on a bit of a trick play but they never took the camera off of french who had little involvement in the play at all

That was funny with the Rickys mixup on CBC, too funny! Maybe a bit too much to drink I'm thinking. Not a big Armitage fan but he trys with the commentator talent he does have.

Dave Randorf for TSN is great, smart and knows the game.

I don't care if Suitor talkes over the Ref's explination of the penalties. 9 times out of 10 you can figure out what is going on by looking at the hand signals. I find it quite annoying when Darren Flutie decides that its his show and just decides to talk whenever he wants. On almost every play he is either trying to talk over or is talking at the same time as the play by play guy, or the referee explaining the penalties (yes he does it too).

The thing is N19
At least the CBC will show the ref while he is giving the hand signals!!!!

With TSN they don't! Like I said on the previous page, the commentator yaps away while the camera is on the coach or something else equally useless. All you see is the ball being marched one way or the other and you never know why!

Live pbp will tell you why..... :wink:

....'wake me up'....was Darren Fluties comment to Armitage...when he blew the player announcements at the beginning of the game...Darren you're supposed to be AWAKE when you're doing a telecast...lol...I really don't want to go to the negative on ANY type of coverage that the CFL gets...Good or bad.....This league certainly is entitled to all coverage and more....but it should also keep improving...... :thup:

At least Steve Armitage sounded passionate about the game. But Darren has got to stop using the technical jargon. What the heck is a "checkback"? Most of use don't play football Darren, so put it in plain language!

Steve Armitage should retire. He always says such stupid things and he never gets the players names right!! I can't even watch CBC! I like the TSN brodcasts way better, and Glen Suitor is the best commentator in the CFL.

TSN definately has the better 'casters at the moment, and Glen Suiter is likely the best colour guy since Lancaster. Certainly he is far superior to Walby or Flutie.
And I was so dissappointed when Millington blew out his achilles…that meant he got back into broadcasting before they could replace him…

But just like in real sports, talent comes and goes, and new guys like Khari and Benefield are now in the mix, so hopefully CBC will improve. I am not sure which network Khari is at, but he shows real promise.
Unfortunately the turn over can take awhile at CBC.

Personally I much prefer the TSN broadcast too. But there are certain little things that CBC (IMHO) do better. For instance, TSN rarely shows an injured player on the field (unless it's Damon Allen, or something real serious). It drives me crazy when there's obviously something going on, cuz there's no official time out, but the cameras are zoomed in on the bench or the huddle, while the announcers blabber on. Then as the play is about to start, they MIGHT mention "so-and-so was injured on the previous play".

But overall, TSN all the way.

Check out this CFL History site:

http://www.geocities.com/cfl_historical/CFL-H.htm

I personally loved the lock out at CBC, it was like you had a seat at the stadium to watch the game! The bigger plus was that you didnt have to listen to Walby butcher the English language and be a Bomber homer. I would have loved to have seen if the CBC had higher numbers for those games.

…and Suitor dosen’t lean a ‘tad’ towards the Riders…c’mon Sambo…Glen might be a little more accurate with the English language…but i think he favours his ol’ team just a little bit…wouldn’t ya agree :lol: …