CFL, CFLPA committed to zero tolerance on racial discrimination

TORONTO — The Canadian Football League (CFL) and the Canadian Football League Players’ Association (CFLPA) released the following joint statement:

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/07/13/cfl-cflpa-committed-to-zero-tolerance-on-racial-discrimination/

think they had better define "zero tolerance".

as recent actions sounds like there is "much tolerance".

2 Likes

I'm confused. Zero tolerance means none.

Sorry, saying Zero and not having Zero means you are tolerant to some or all discrimination.

How do you strengthen something with "importance requiring swift action"? It would be preferred you strengthen it with strong policies defining discrimination.

You may also want to look into your abuse policies............Having everyone complete the Sheldon Kennedy Respect in the Workplace course would be a good start.

2 Likes

Saying "ZERO TOLERANCE" means that when the line is crossed the violator will receive some sort of punishment. That it will not be accepted under any excuse or the infraction ignored by authorities when they receive a report. The action taken by the league is governed by the negotiated player association contract.
Last week Marino was accused and the league investigated and obviously determined there was some basis for the complaint.
The action by the league was ....

• A one-game suspension for verbal comments Marino made about Masoli’s heritage during the game, which clearly violates our Code of Conduct.
    The League IMO, left it as simply "ZERO TOLERANCE" on purpose to ensure all infraction would receive action. I also believe the League carried out their mandate within the limits of the CFLPA agreement.
1 Like

Means our rules around this are so poor and weak that despite the stuff that went on last week, the most we could do was a was a weak 1 game suspension. Despite all our advertising and promoting zero tolerance we really don't have much to back it up.

2 Likes

As in many infractions committed by players in the CFL. The punishment doesn't fit the crime, this type of action deserves to at least as strong as any player who uses PED's. Which should be, first time offender 3 ( perhaps 4) game suspension, doubled on second offence and dismissed on third offence.

TSN should suffer the same when they interview some dumb@ss celebrity during the football game.

Aaand Don't get me started on people whose avatar is some type of rodent of course (egg laying Monotreme's are exempt) as they're so cool looking.

As promised, will discard my platypus'ssss avatar when only one undefeated teams remains.

Friday July 15
Go Bombers Go!!

1 Like

"Egg laying monotremes" is a redundant statement.

:wink:

1 Like

Fish lay eggs too, sunny side up or over easy?

I was going by the definition of "monotreme", aka proof that God smoked the occasional weed.

BTW, omelet, cheese and mushroom, with a pound of bacon.

1 Like

Improved your avatar for you....

Bacon isn't good for you. For your safety, you'll need to pack it in ice and ship it to me ASAP. I'll destroy it in a safe manner.......Umm... send eggs as well if I eat my own, I may be commiting some kind crime,

I may need that for LDC & BB, :joy: :laughing:

1 Like

Trout eggs, on a hook, looking for larger Salmonids to put on a plank from a Cedrus elegans please.