CFL.ca's top 30 pending free agents

I thought Sankey had signed. This article does not have him extended

1 Like

That news was in a different thread from weeks ago.

Some cross-linked posts are here with regards to player movement from the US.

More former CFL players and former spring league players are headed the CFL way, including now Tre Watson via 3DownNation.

Thank you Grover @Grover and Mean Titanium Ted @Tedtanium1976 .

1 Like

I find this discussion of free agency to be a good one and no doubt this time is an important one for the CFL and for the teams - HOWEVER… talking of players of only the here and now does not help anyone to understand our history as a league and the importance that a player can make to a team or to the league. I find it disturbing that a great player like Willie Bethea dies and this CFL site has not given this man any recognition of his importance to the Hamilton Tiger Cats and to the CFL - a 3 time Grey Cup winner! How many players can make that claim?

Zach Collaros was not the same quarterback in 2023, that he was in 2022. It seemed to me that his career-long trademark was extending plays with his legs and having enough arm strength to move the ball downfield. His arm was noticeably less dynamic this past year than in previous years. I think the Bombs are making a big mistake by letting Dru Brown go, while keeping Collaros. I understand the loyalty the GM and HC might feel Collaros has earned but there are other, better ways to show loyalty to players, while moving forward and giving the team the best chance to win in the immediate future. I am not saying Collaros is bad. I’m just saying he isn’t the same guy that won Grey Cups. The current path that Winnipeg is on, the only thing grey that the Bombers will be winning is having the most grey beards on the team. It is time to move on from a few of the key pieces and bring on the future!

Every year they trot out this list and 99% of these guys get re signed by the club they played for last year.
Unless they are unhappy or someone offers stupid money almost no one moves.

1 Like

The stamps need to sign half of these guys
RIGHT HUF !!?!!

Dave Dickenson is the GM responsible for signing players , not Huff any more.

2 Likes

I figure many in CFL management knew, but there’s no mystery any more of how much UFL 4.0 players can make, and so perhaps the CFL adjusts from here:

1 Like

We’ve been onto this trend here since December, and the CFL has done well so far and is adding even more names of players with pro football experience, which combined with talent and skill makes them more valuable also for key, quick decisions in game-speed situations.

Sports Illustrated, a media brand and associated firms for which massive layoffs are taking place now as well, is on the case.

https://www.si.com/cfl/fannation/news/cfl-teams-usfl-xfl-merger-form-ufl-player-roster-updates-signings

2 Likes

Worth cross-linking here because it’s such a good post

1 Like

More movement north by players with pro football experience in the US:

1 Like