CFL Cancels Season

See you all in 2021 :slight_smile:

No surprise there.

Should have done that back in March.

Wasted all of the 6 months begging the government for assistance.

Should never have approached the government at all.

Now you see the results.

3 Likes

And gone dormant. Viruses can do it--ironically.

Would have saved a lot of time and money.

Silver lining I'm sure it would have been logistical nightmare finding enough players in the middle of a pandemic. Don't have to worry about that anymore, obviously.

1 Like

This was kinda inevitable... The drop-dead date should have been about two weeks ago. When there was no decision then, it didn't give enough time for the American players to quarantine either before or after coming to Canada, have training camp, and start the season.

I hope that all of the players and staff, especially the entry-level players making 60-70k a year can land on their feet and still be able to train for next year. We can have football next year, and it can be in Canada.

3 Likes

Anyone that thinks 2021 is a foregone conclusion isn't paying attention. Reality is without a vaccine and/or the ability to get fans back in stadiums this isn't going to change.

5 Likes

That's right Crash. Nothing is guaranteed for ANY sport next year. The government will be waiting to see how a second wave affects Canada. I don't think major junior hockey will play this year even though they've announced a start date of December 1. This "new normal" will be around for awhile yet.

3 Likes

Bang on. The CFL needs a widely distributed vaccine in the next nine months to even attempt to play in 2021. Let's all hope.

3 Likes

I remember seeing a report on the news near the beginning when somebody said you won't see sports again until there is a vaccine and that could take a year and a half to three years.

I can't say I was really concerned about not having sports at the time but as time went on I think many people (myself included) lost sight of that original prognosis.

2 Likes

But we are seeing all sports now except the CFL are we not

1 Like

It's still only a half measure if there are no live audiences, plus we have had additional cases in some sports causing issues.

If people want to use this as another excuse to shit on the CFL that's fine, I'd rather the league use the time off to plan to come back with a vengeance.

2 Likes

[quote="Charukfan, post:11, topic:68217"]

It's still only a half measure if there are no live audiences, plus we have had additional cases in some sports causing issues.

If people want to use this as another excuse to shit on the CFL that's fine, I'd rather the league use the time off to plan to come back with a vengeance.

[/quote

.. the reality is that the other leagues simply had the resources available to get through this. The CFL does not have those resources.

We all hope they can come back with a vengeance.

2 Likes

I agree and it is that simple and it shouldn't be spun that that makes the CFL "bush league" the usual term that one hears. And yes I know no one has said that, yet.

3 Likes

Do not feed the trolls

I'm not calling anyone a troll (unless you see yourself as one), but this site would be a lot more friendly to users if people did not snipe at each other. It is a waste of bandwidth otherwise.

Thanks Mike! Les Mods

1 Like

IMHO, the League must do two things in order to have a season in 2021:

1. Bite the bullet and open up the books. That is all nine teams (ten, including the ownership group in Halifax), both public and private, and the League offices themselves, for a financial audit by Federal agencies in order to secure REASONABLE funding/advice by the government; and
  2. Prepare for a "bubble" season for 2021. There are many ways this can be achieved, both the NHL and NBA seem to have a grip on things. Perhaps things will have advanced favourably by then to allow travel to the US on bye weeks; or, at least, allow family members to visit up here with the proper precautions.

Either way, I can't see fans in the stands next year, unless "the curve" is significantly flattened. With the current demographic of CFL fans being on the "mature" side, it is probably not advisable for them to be in close contact anyway (and yes, I include myself in this).
A new CBA needs to be negotiated IN GOOD FAITH BY BOTH PARTIES to figure out what happens this year, and in future years. It MUST have provisions for re-negotiation as the public health situation changes. My stance has always been that a contract is a contract, that you honour your word, etc. With that being said...

I am open to the Owners releasing players who may wish to try their luck with the No Fun League, as long as there is a LEGAL clause in place where the Team holds that player's CFL rights. Think of it as being similar to the Negotiation List.

3 Likes

This pretty well sums it up.

Don't bank on a vaccine. There is no guarantee they will EVER have one, is there? Of course not.

The curve has been flattened. Beyond so, actually, with a mere 45 "active" cases in Hamilton. Bubble football will likely happen in 2021, but being a gate-driven league, there won't be much financial assistance on the horizon either.

Tough times indeed.

3 Likes

As things open up, there WILL be more cases; ie: a "second wave". That may be September or October, and then we have to deal with "flu season". The main idea is to have fewer cases than hospitals can deal with, and that will most likely mean continued social-distancing, mask wearing, contact tracing, etc.
As a person who is pretty cautious with app permissions on my phone, I installed the COVID Alert app (I have my reasons). I predict that before long, use of that app may become a requirement for entry; just as you now have to leave your contact info with restaurants/bars in order to eat/drink there. It all depends on how we, as a society, continue to live within the pandemic.

3 Likes

That's interesting; you might be right for us to go with this as option #1. I'll bring it up internally.

2 Likes

how can the players be expected to remain in a bubble for up to 6 months. Specially those on the lower end of pay scale.

dont see it happening. too many will opt out

2 Likes

Agreed. How are the NBA/NHL going to start again in Nov/Dec? Bubble for an entire year?

2 Likes

Frankly, I'm surprised that this hasn't come up already. To whom should I submit my resume? lol
It would be a shame to give up on the work that's already been done for Winnipeg. There seems to have been a decent plan in place, although there should be daily testing of everyone in the bubble.
It might be an idea to study/prepare for both a bubble season and a regular season, or a hybrid of both. As I mentioned earlier, there may be provisions for family travel during bye weeks, as long as strict protocols are in place.

1 Like