CFL.ca did not answer this fan's question...

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

The day after the Edmonton game I sent a message on the CFL's website with an inquiry. To date I have yet to receive a reply.

During the game I noticed that player number 5, Pat White, a quarterback for the Eskimos, was lined up on the punt cover team. The refs did not flag this and it occurred on every punt (that I watched for after first noticing it). Knowing (at least hazily) the Import/Non-import/Quarterback rule I assumed this was a violation of the rules. I asked if they could confirm the violation and why no penalty was called. Not getting a reply is no way to treat a lifelong fan.

This AM, while stewing about their discourtesy, I decided to look at the rule on their website. What I found, I think, may have made this a violation of the rules:

EXCEPTION: Rule 6, Section 4, Article 4, Note 4 Article 5 – Designated Quarterback Prior to the game, a team is required to designate three players who shall be permitted to alternate for each other during the game at the quarterback position exclusively. Not more than one such player may be in the game at any time and none of the three can enter the game as a member of Team B.
PENALTY: L25 PLS DR or L25 PBD or option NOTE: For the purposes of this Article 5, the duties of the quarterback position may include punting, place kicking and kicking off. If a team designates three quarterbacks for a game, the player designated as the third quarterback shall not be eligible for kicking duties.

If anyone else can find a rule suggesting it was not a violation I would be all ears.

BTW: Looking at the front page of today's hog town sun (I only read it for the sunshine girls, lol) I see that good old number 5 is trying to tackle the Dyin' Hawaiian (I presume on a punt).

Either it is a rule that is being overlooked or someone knows where the body is buried in CFL HQ. (or it isn't against the rules). :twisted:

This inquiring mind would really like an answer to his question. :cowboy:

send a email to the CFL just put the first initial and the last name followed by @cfl.ca for example mcohon@cfl.ca
you can even send a message to the refs !! GO NUTS Folks :smiley:

Given the rule as stated, it looks like it's allowed.

• "...who shall be permitted to alternate for each other during the game at the quarterback position exclusively." - check (There's no rule about where the QB has to line up other than having to be "in the backfield". As long as he was at least a yard back from the line, he was in the backfield.)
  • "Not more than one such player may be in the game at any time" - check.
  • "and none of the three can enter the game as a member of Team B." - check (punting team is Team A).
  • "If a team designates three quarterbacks for a game, the player designated as the third quarterback shall not be eligible for kicking duties." - check (White was not kicking, just one the field during a punting play, just as a holder can be a QB).

A loophole possibly, but it sounds like it's perfectly legal.

The TiCats did the same thing this past Saturday night versus BC.

Masoli lined up as one of the punt protectors. It was at the 3:35 mark of the 1st Quarter. It was the play where they were attempting to have Gainey "onside" to recover the pooch punt.

I saw the BC side-line waving madly to alert their return team to "Watch #8! Watch #8! Watch #8!"

I'm wondering if the Cats were going to pull a fake and called it off because BC caught wind of it, or perhaps it was a decoy so that they weren't alerted to Gainey attempting to be onside & recover the punt.

a punt is, although handled by the special teams could technically be an offensive formation, so it would make sense that a QB would be allowed on the field on the cover team.

And if lined up as one of the punt protectors as Masoli was (going to have to watch that play again), he could easily get the snap instead of the punter. Kind of brilliant, actually.