CFL Attendance/Popularity?

Based on my brief exposure to the league, I have the following questions:

For the size of the population centers where the teams are at, why does it appear the stands are fairly empty? Could Canada sustain expansion considering how empty the current stadia seem?

Why has Canadian rules football appeared to be less popular today than in its heyday?

Is there something the CFL executives could do in order to appeal to the new and old fan-bases alike?

I know the U.S. fans may be hard-won considering their standards (legitimate or otherwise), but should their standards have any effect on how Canadians view their football? I realize there is a strong soccer following, yet why would that interfere with their support for the Canadian brand football?

Where did you get the notion that the league is not popular?

Southern Ontario. The CFL is not unpopular but in certain regions it is viewed as minor league compared to nfl and thats why attendance is an issue in those regions. BUT most sports fans like and do irregularly support the cfl.! Some have suggested hardcore fan bases at 20,000 , if thats the case then irregular attending fans account for another 20,000 at least . if the CFL could attract the corperate $$$ then every game would be sold out, but its the corperate patron who has dropped the cfl for a crossdresser with a fettish named the nfl :twisted: unfortunatly!!!!! imho

The stadiums usually sell all of the good seats. Once you get outside the 15 yard line or 40 rows up the tickets get harder and harder to sell. Just ask anybody from the MLS. The parks that don't have any real "cheap seats" are usually sold out.

I'm not sure if you could find a "heyday" that was more popular than right now. The game has been around for a long time and there haven't been many times the crowds have matched those of today.

The CFL suffers from it's own reputation. The 90's were bad. Poor ownership groups bickering all the time, a failed US expansion to try and use expansion fees to stay afloat, and an NFL bailout deal. Since then they've been working together and building up their own identity and image. The smaller markets on the praries have always adopted the CFL game as their own and take pride in it, while the larger cities always seem to have problems selling the game to the people. Without popularity in the cities, the TV ratings dwindle and those tv contracts dry up.

The general US population are a lot like lemmings. They'll buy whatever is marketed to them best. I'm not saying that Canadians are that much better, because exposure to the US marketing seems to be greater in the larger markets.

This.
This is what leads me to believe that the CFL is headed for it's best years ever as a league. People forget that alot of the CFL bashers are from the generation the CFL missed because of what you mentioned. And the CFL has no one else to blame but itself. The good thing is that those days are long gone and I'd venture that the CFL is destined for it's best years in terms of popularity, attendance, tv ratings, teams, etc. in the next 5 years.

The good thing about the Bllls Rogers experiment in Toronto is that it is exposing the very vulnerability of the NFL in Canada which is despite there being loads of fans of the NFL in southern Ontario, there are not loads who will pay big bucks up front. The NFL doesn't have the type of stadium in Toronto that garners people to get all excited about it and now this has been exposed as we saw last year where they were having a heck of a hard time selling tickets and where the atmosphere of the game was not very good. The mystique, if you will, of the NFL in Toronto is no more and Rogers blew it with the ticket prices hence the lowering of the prices but that is the last thing they wanted to happen. The Rogers Centre and the Bills just don't mix well in my books.

If we can get two solid expansion teams in the CFL , things could really take off. So to Ottawa ,Quebec city or Halifax,get your #$@# together.

Canadian football is likely more popular now than in any time in its 150 year history. There are more high schools in Canada playing football than at any other time. Football registration has doubled in BC since the 1980's, and this trend is happening in most regions across Canada.

Attendance and TV ratings are at near all-time high record levels. CFL team revenues are higher than at any time in history. Considering the average attendance, the CFL is the 6th most popular sporting league in the entire world.

The empty seats in Edm, Van and Tor are a reflection of stadiums which are too big, not that the CFL is losing popularity. Teams really don't need a 60,000 seat stadium for CFL regular season games, but these teams draw 30,000 to 40,000 fans, more than enough to pay the bills.

The league could do a much better job of marketing and getting their product more exposure. Here's a perfect example,I went to Chapters and a few other book stores and could not find the 2008 facts and figure book. I assumed one was published ? I can get any NFL book or video,which is fine. I think there should be a decent selection of CFL stuff on the shelves, as well .

Ive allways thought that a CFL colouring book for kids would be good for promoting the league and its stars. As well as co promotions with stores, buy a certain amount of merchandice or groceries and get CFL ticets for $5 bucks.

Another example try buying a CFL jersey in any mall outlet .

I don't live in in a populous city so there aren't all that many sport gear stores but the one that there are, I walk in and look for CFL stuff. When I see that they don't have any, I politely let them know that I prefer to buy locally but will never buy anything from their store until I see CFL stuff in it. It is not conjecture or idle threat: I mean it as I can get any gear I want on the internet. If nobody uses the little power that the consumer has and express why they are exercising that power, the supplier will never know. Be vocal, but be polite.

The 2008 Facts and Figures book sold out of a lot of stores. But don’t worry in about 3 weeks the 2009 Fact and Figures book will be on the shelf.