"CFL as Canadian as you can get"

Happy Dominion Day to all you CFL fans.
I just read a pro CFL column by Joe Warmington of the Toronto Sun. It is very Pro Canada and the CFL.
Here is a link to it. http://www.torontosun.com/News/Columnis ... 96-sun.php I hope you enjoy it.
Cheers,
David :rockin:

I love this

Interestingly, the last time the Bills leaned on Toronto, it was to take CFL legend Doug Flutie as quarterback. He used his Canadian game wizardry to take the Bills out of oblivion. [b]Interestingly, ever since they rudely benched him, the team has not had a winning season[/b]
I was a bills fan in the 80's and 90's. I havent been since Flutie left. For all the Bills fans that were pro Johnson anti Flutie, its serves them right if they ever lose their team.

Just as long it as doesnt end up in Toronto, because we dont need American products.

No, it doesn't serve them right. Just cause they wanted one guy to start over another, doesn't mean they deserve to lose their team.

Hit the nail on the head . The newspaper article that is.

Just as long it as doesnt end up in Toronto, because we dont need American products.
I am glad I dont feel that way about a canadian product. As long as the Bills dont harm the CFL, I think you should be fine with the Bills. Because if Americans thought like you about a canadian product the CFL would be dead. I would love to expand the CFL back to the states and see some of the teams with out making the trip to Canada. Is that what you really meant???

it wasnt just a matter of preference. I took part in many Flutie Johnson debates during those yrs, especially on the ESPN boards, many were very ignorant about Flutie, and the CFL. They put down both harshly and offensively and were extremely derogatory. The strong anti Flutie, anti CFL comments were maddening, and quite frankly, made me want to declare war on them. A lot of anti Canada comments were peppered in those discussions as well, and not by just a few posters. I was quite shocked.

Good article. Thanks for the link.

Wow! That is one moving piece. If there was a forum to post, I would have congratulated the author. To be Canadian is such a privilege. I don’t need to compare to the NFL or the US of A. We are awsome all on our own, without comaprison to anyone.

Change that. I saw the link to the letters to the editor and sent them a thank you for publishing Mr. Warmington's piece.

The american market means nothing to the CFL. They get a pittance for the tv rights that nobody watches, and the time we did try a US expansion it was an utter failure with the teams all folding within 3 years. If every american who is interested in the CFL stopped watching today it would have zero effect on our league, and we like it that way.

We don't want any more of your products here in Canada, especially the NFL. It will sap much needed sponsors away from the CFL and would most likely kill the Argos franchise, which is one of our main clubs as far as generating income goes.

Keep your boring, slow, and overpriced NFL down south along with the rest of your american BS.

"The american market means nothing to the CFL. They get a pittance for the tv rights that nobody watches, and the time we did try a US expansion it was an utter failure with the teams all folding within 3 years. If every american who is interested in the CFL stopped watching today it would have zero effect on our league, and we like it that way."
Interesting. The 25 page thread on U.S. broadcast and the league execs. seem to disagree. However, expansion to the U.S. was a bad idea.
"We don't want any more of your products here in Canada, especially the NFL. It will sap much needed sponsors away from the CFL and would most likely kill the Argos franchise, which is one of our main clubs as far as generating income goes."
Can't disagree with this. You are absolutely right...let's hope the Bills move to LA
"Keep your boring, slow, and overpriced NFL down south along with the rest of your american BS"
Ouch. Nice to know I'm (un)welcome.

I don't mean to be rude but I think Trudeaus's quote about the US hit the nail on the head.

“Living next to you is in some ways like sleeping with an elephant. No matter how friendly and even-tempered is the beast, if I can call it that, one is affected by every twitch and grunt.?

Understood. FWIW, that 'elephant' will get a lot smaller over the next several years. Everything is global and the U.S. impact on the global ecomomy will be less and less.....it's already happening and will continue.

Careful, there are a couple of threads where the pages in them are going well into double digits because it seems that it does, in fact, mean something to some American residents.

But I do share your basic views on US expansion - let's stock up on Canadian sites before we even begin to consider that again.

Sorry, Pacman. You essentially made the same point. I had started my thread before supper and didn't see yours. You are a scholar and a gentleman (to think like me :lol: ).

Awesome article I read it this morning.
It's to bad there are not more such positive writers here in Toronto.

the links to warminton's and his editor's e-mails are there...instead of only emailing about the NEGATIVE articles, perhaps we should email to congratulate them on this positive article.

I have e-mailed Joe regarding his positive article.
It is a nice change from the usuale negative reporting from the Toronto press.
Joe is pro Canadian.
Cheers,
David :rockin:

I emailed him this morning.

Edited - same old, same old