CFL announces awards nominees

If you didn't see it, here's the link.

[url=http://www.cfl.ca/article/2008-cfl-player-awards-team-nominees]http://www.cfl.ca/article/2008-cfl-play ... m-nominees[/url]

Nice to see Tristan as the Rookie and Special teams player, but he has stiff competition from Logan and Smart. I'm a little surprised to see Ray as Player. Far too many INTs for my liking. I think Burris will represent the West, but AC will take the award. I like Peterson's chances of taking Canadian.

I don't know. I guess it depends on how the media sees Wake. Is he big enough to get the MOP over Burris? maybe..

Cates might get a lot of votes too.. if he hadn't been hurt for 4 games he might have won it.

but I agree.. Calvillo will most likely win it.

go DRESSLER for rookie of the year!!

If not for the injuries, I think both Cates and Cobourne would have been great contenders. Shame.

My picks on who I think should win:

East Division:

MOP: Anthony Calvillo (MTL)
Outstanding Canadian: Ben Cahoon (MTL)
Defensive POY: Chris Thompson (HAM)
0-Lineman: Scott Flory (HAM)
Outstanding Rookie: Praechae Rodriguez (HAM)
Special Teams: Dominique Dorsey (TOR)

West Division:

MOP: Henry Burris (CGY)
Outstanding Canadian: Kamau Peterson (EDM)
Defensive POY: Cam Wake (BC)
O-lineman: Gene Makowsky (SK) Deservingly should go to Jiminez but I don't think people are going to vote for him.
Oustanding Rookie: Weston Dressler (SK)
Special Teams: Tristan Jackson (EDM)

Winners:

Defensive POY: Cam Wake(BC)
0-lineman: Scott Flory (MTL)
Outstanding Rookie: Weston Dressler (SK)

i loce that doug bown is up for 3 for the bombers

The west MOP could be interesting.

Ray could be given consideration for turning the smoos around and having a good season. But suspect he would be overshadowed by Burris and Wake.

Wake will definitely get some consideration, but don't think he would be there in the end. There will be to many that think because he will likely get defensive player he shouldn't get the MOP.

Burris would be a good, but don't think he could beat Calvillo.

Cates should be considered, if he has a monster game against Toronto and ends up with the rushing title, he could be the western rep. He would have the rushing title, yards from scrimage and be out for 4 games. 3 of the 4 games were loses. So that shows how important Cates is to riders.

It very well could be Cates, but he needs a monster game to finish out the season.

Taking a page out of Dust's book... these are my picks. I fully admit that there may be some bias. :lol:

But first, I don't think Ray should be considered for MOP. Yes, he's thrown for over 5,000 yards, and that's nice, but that and his completion percentage are his only good stats. 24 TDs? That's way too low. 17 picks? That's way too high. Last season he had 22 TDs, and he missed the last 6 games of the season. I think the only reason Edmonton picked Ray is because they had no one else. I say Burris should be the West's nominee.

East Division:

Defensive POY: ??? (???)
0-Lineman: Scott Flory (MON)
Outstanding Rookie: Praechae Rodriguez (HAM)

West Division:

MOP: Henry Burris (CGY)
Defensive POY: Cam Wake (BC)
O-lineman: Rob Lazeo (CGY)
Oustanding Rookie: Stefan Logan (BC)

Winners:

0-lineman: Rob Lazeo (CGY)
Outstanding Rookie: Stefan Logan (BC)

I know it's not going to happen, but imagine if Cates won MOP and Lazeo won lineman of the year, the year after the two backups were traded for each other. It's already been an awesome trade that would cap it off.

It appears that TSN has already annointed Cam Wake as the MOP winner. So in this category ..why bother speculating. :wink:
The CFL has to come up with another award to equal the Def. Outstanding Player. Where in the past the MOP has always gone to an Offensive Player, and the DOP award to the best of the "D". So with Wake winning the MOP, as well as the DOP...what award will there be for the best Offensive Player, other than Lineman??? Nothing.

How do you know TSN already gave him the nod, and does that actually mean he won it? I thought other people had to vote, as well.

Chief: In all the round table discussions on TSN..It is Wake this and Wake that for MOP...Yes other people have to vote, but they are influencing the vote before it has happened...they are saying he has it in the bag. The power of suggestion is very effective.

Aside from this...I do think that there should be an offensive award, (like the defense award)...then the MOP award can be awarded to which ever player deserves it. The pre-annointment of TSN for Wake MOP...and should it come to pass..would leave nothing to award a deserving offensive player. Check out TSN...they have a poll...Wake vs Cavillo. That is all I am trying to say.

I’m sorry, but that’s total BS. There’s no way Wake had a better season than AC. He didn’t even come close to breaking the record. What’s he at, still 20 sacks…?

I would actually be very surprised if Wake beat out Burris for the West nominee, and if he does, there's no way he beats Calvillo. The TSN guys can say all they want, but it's the football reporters of canada that vote.

No love here for Doug Brown…
Expect him to challenge Cahoon for best Canadian, and hopefully take best Eastern defensive player
BTW, only this is only the third time in CFL history that a defensive player has been nominated for 3 awards
Doug Brown is one of the most underrated players on these boards.

Outstanding Canadian: Paris Jackson (BC)
0-lineman: Rob Lazeo (CGY)
Outstanding Rookie: Weston Dressler (SK)

Either that or the talent in Winnipeg is so poor they had no choice but to nominate him three times. :lol:

Hey, it has been a rough year no doubt. But don't let that take the shine off a very good and consistent year for Brown.
Best Canadian year in and year out for the Bombers (playing a position dominated by Americans). How many DT's (if any??) would you want ahead of Brown?
MVP for the team, well that is debatable, and you are right here that he is named only because of the year they have had. But really, who else would it go to? No one on offence thats for sure. Malveaux for his ability to play everywhere was his only real competition.
Best defensive player (see above). This is the one I see him winning, and hopefully best Canadian as well.

The problem is that he's nominated for 3 awards because Winnipeg had such a bad year, not because he had an oustanding one. His stats are down from even a year ago, and there's no way he's going to beat out Cahoon, and I don't think there's any way he beats out Keron Williams or Chris Thompson because both their numbers are better for the Eastern DPOY either.

I haven't watched every single Bomber game so he might be a better player than those other guys, but you can bet the people voting haven't watched every game either and it's the numbers in the end that count.

This is where I feel DB is under rated. Looking solely at QB sacks does not show how he has played this year, and how can you possibly compare #'s of players at different positions?
He has had a better year this year than last, regardless of how many sacks he has. He is always double/triple teamed.
First compare him to Ben cahoon - what has Ben done this year that was different than years past? Not much - both players have been their consistant selves year in and year out. Yes awards usually go to the offensive players, but why would it be a strech to say that DB stands a chance here?
Defensive player of the year: I really don't know much about the other two, but again you must underrate DB if you are so quick to write him off and say he has no chance. Keron Williams plays the same position, what has he done that was so much better than DB?
All I know is that having a Canadian with that talent at that position is a luxury that every team in the league would love to have.

Letsgoblue, I'll agree that Brown is ahead of Williams....they both play the same position and given the choice I'd take Brown over Williams in an instant.........and I'm an Als' fan.

However, if I had a vote I would lean to Chris Thompson, who I think has had a breakout year, and is tops (or near thereto) in interceptions.