CFL and STEROIDS

CFL fan comments on the following linked article?

[url=http://www.torontosun.com/2015/05/14/degrees-in-doping-no-cfl-repercussions-for-cis-players-loading-up-at-steriod-u]http://www.torontosun.com/2015/05/14/de ... -steriod-u[/url]

I agree that the current policy is ineffective.
It's hard to believe that the policy effectively allows a graduating student to cheat and suffer no immediate consequences.

I like the one year suspension idea.
You get caught, you become ineligible for the draft.
If you have to sit one year, how many teams are going to take a flyer on you at the next draft when you haven't played for a year and are known to "enhance" your performance with PEDs?

CIS players who test positive are automatically moved up to 2nd level of the CFL drug program. Those players will undergo regular drug testing in the CFL (while for other player are randomly selected to be tested). CIS cheaters will automatically be suspended by the CFL for another positive test. Other players who test positive for the first time will get counseling and regular testing but no suspension for the first infraction.

So why did they suspend the Waterloo programme a few years back? Too many suspended players?

That had nothing to do with the CFL. It was the school's decision.

my professor interviewed many CFL players and came up with stats that were pretty damning about steroid use in the CFL.
His book is "Game Day Gangsters" if you'd like to read. Should be available.

Some solutions were offered in the article like a year's suspension. I'd say two years, if you really want to put some muscle behind it....

IMO a minor 30 day suspension to serve an in-house rehab, same as many other drugs. Employers have a legal obligation to offer rehab for drug abuse (not sure if this qualifies…don’t care, do it). 2nd offense, life-time ban.

IMO I really don't get it. A high % of top athletes take Steroids. So what, not a big deal for most. Open it up for all.
1 week suspension at most. I could care less who takes what or when. Go for it. Most steroids don't hurt the athlete.
Most have this boggy man fear???????? OH I no its not popular to state this. Remember Marijuana 25 years ago??

People often confuse PED and Steroids. Two of the student/athletes used over the counter medication that had a banned substance while another one used stanozolol. There are different levels of abuse in my mind. Someone "using" steroids as part of his routine should suffer a harsher punishment than someone who used some kind of nasal spray sold at Shoppers not knowing it had a banned component...

I want to agree with you Briancox, but then you would have millions of teenagers in the Dominican and in Venesuala, banging steroids at their only shot to get out..

It is not possible to say steroids don't hurt the athlete. There have been few long term studies of use of steroids to determine the full extent of the damage they might cause but there is enough medical case reports to make certain damaging conclusions about their use.

[url=http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/anabolic-steroid-abuse/what-are-health-consequences-steroid-abuse]http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/r ... roid-abuse[/url]
Anabolic steroid abuse has been associated with a wide range of adverse side effects ranging from some that are physically unattractive, such as acne and breast development in men, to others that are life threatening, such as heart attacks and liver cancer. Most are reversible if the abuser stops taking the drugs, but some are permanent, such as voice deepening in females.

Most data on the long-term effects of anabolic steroids in humans come from case reports rather than formal epidemiological studies. From the case reports, the incidence of lifethreatening effects appears to be low, but serious adverse effects may be underrecognized or underreported, especially since they may occur many years later. Data from animal studies seem to support this possibility. One study found that exposing male mice for one-fifth of their lifespan to steroid doses comparable to those taken by human athletes caused a high frequency of early deaths.

Possible Health Consequences of Anabolic Steroid Abuse
Hormonal System - Men

• infertility
  • breast development
  • shrinking of the testicles
  • male-pattern baldness

Hormonal System - Women

• enlargement of the clitoris
  • excessive growth of body hair
  • male-pattern baldness

Musculoskeletal system

• short stature (if taken by adolescents)
  • tendon rupture

Cardiovascular system

• increases in LDL
  • decreases in HDL
  • high blood pressure
  • heart attacks
  • enlargement of the heart's left ventricle

Liver

• cancer
  • peliosis hepatis
  • tumors

Skin

• severe acne and cysts
  • oily scalp
  • jaundice
  • fluid retention

Infection (from using unsterile injections)

• HIV/AIDS
  • hepatitis

Psychiatric effects

• rage, aggression (there is the term 'roid rage' for a reason folks!)
  • mania
  • delusions

Hormonal system

Steroid abuse disrupts the normal production of hormones in the body, causing both reversible and irreversible changes. Changes that can be reversed include reduced sperm production and shrinking of the testicles (testicular atrophy). Irreversible changes include male-pattern baldness and breast development (gynecomastia) in men. In one study of male bodybuilders, more than half had testicular atrophy and/or gynecomastia.

In the female body, anabolic steroids cause masculinization. Breast size and body fat decrease, the skin becomes coarse, the clitoris enlarges, and the voice deepens. Women may experience excessive growth of body hair but lose scalp hair. With continued administration of steroids, some of these effects become irreversible.

Musculoskeletal system

Rising levels of testosterone and other sex hormones normally trigger the growth spurt that occurs during puberty and adolescence and provide the signals to stop growth as well. When a child or adolescent takes anabolic steroids, the resulting artificially high sex hormone levels can prematurely signal the bones to stop growing.

Cardiovascular system

Steroid abuse has been associated with cardiovascular diseases (CVD), including heart attacks and strokes, even in athletes younger than 30. Steroids contribute to the development of CVD, partly by changing the levels of lipoproteins that carry cholesterol in the blood. Steroids, particularly oral steroids, increase the level of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) and decrease the level of high-density lipoprotein (HDL). High LDL and low HDL levels increase the risk of atherosclerosis, a condition in which fatty substances are deposited inside arteries and disrupt blood flow. If blood is prevented from reaching the heart, the result can be a heart attack. If blood is prevented from reaching the brain, the result can be a stroke.

Steroids also increase the risk that blood clots will form in blood vessels, potentially disrupting blood flow and damaging the heart muscle so that it does not pump blood effectively.

Liver

Steroid abuse has been associated with liver tumors and a rare condition called peliosis hepatis, in which blood-filled cysts form in the liver. Both the tumors and the cysts can rupture, causing internal bleeding.

Skin

Steroid abuse can cause acne, cysts, and oily hair and skin.

Infections

Many abusers who inject anabolic steroids may use nonsterile injection techniques or share contaminated needles with other abusers. In addition, some steroid preparations are manufactured illegally under nonsterile conditions. These factors put abusers at risk for acquiring lifethreatening viral infections, such as HIV and hepatitis B and C. Abusers also can develop endocarditis, a bacterial infection that causes a potentially fatal inflammation of the inner lining of the heart. Bacterial infections also can cause pain and abscess formation at injection sites.

And just as an aside - if you think regular marijuana use doesn't have negative medical side effects - you would be wrong but I don't want to take this too far off the CFL steroids topic.

I'm all for doing whatever can be done to get rid of steroid use in our game for the good of those who play the game.

You seriously need to educate yourself on steroids if this is your honest opinion.