CFL (and other sports) TV Ratings

I know the evening slot might be open for CTV to broadcast the Grey Cup.

But, for some reason, CTV won't broadcast it.

Even MLS manged to get on CTV from time to time.

Anyways kind of pointless arguing this view point I will watch the Grey Cup on whatever network the CFL decides on.

Wow! Just wow!

How many times do I have to explain that CTV & TSN actually have different ownership structures, which allows all CFL games to be shown exclusively on TSN?

As I had mentioned before, I believe I had read somewhere that the CFL's tv contract is actually held with CTV Specialty (though not 100% sure on it), which is what gives them the right to exclusively show CFL games on only TSN.

It would also be for this reason that Bell Media alone cannot decide on where CFL games are shown.

As for MLS games on CTV, those tend to only be on during the early part of the season, and on Saturday afternoons. And even then, it's only a few select games that'll be on CTV, on an inconsistent basis.

Plus MLS' tv contract in this country is with Bell Media (as well as TVA Sports), who in turn has decided to put most of its games on TSN, as one of the owners of that channel.

I do understand what you are explaining . I wasn't aware that that's how the contract the CFL was negotiated.

I feel the current contract with TSN undervalues the CFL.

The next contract should be with more than one network.

That's True but it probably could just go with a 7 pm or later kick off instead of the 6:30 ish GC now .

The later the game better for capturing more western viewers .

Oh it can, it can. That was a crap game unless you were a fan of the Bucs, and indeed I was cheering for them and had picked them correctly in all or most of their games including on this site.

Of course those fans of the Chiefs, no love lost for me there, were angry but so were the rest of us who wanted to see a great game not one seemingly handed over by officials in the second quarter only one game after hardly any calls were made.

1983 you say? Back in my dheyyy, we didn't have those remote controls. Whoever was closest to the TV, you changed that dial to change the channel or adjust the volume you know ...and then if you didn't do it quickly we threw objects at you until you moved ...and then when reception was not good, we screamed at you to smack the TV on the side or the top and then harder if need be ... and we liked it all too ...:woozy_face:

1 Like