CFL (and other sports) TV Ratings

Since we had a televised 2016 CFL game last night I figured today would be the time to start a new sports TV ratings thread to coincide with the new season. Next week this report should include ratings for the BC - Sasatchewan pre-season game that TSN is carrying Saturday night.

Here are last weekend’s ratings - and the numbers that might be of most interest (concern?) to the CFL and TSN are the VERY strong numbers from the Jays three games in Boston last weekend with all three games topping a million. The Jays look like they may again provide very strong competition to the CFL for viewers.

While the Stanley Cup ratings aren’t great (on either side of the border) - at least the CBC managed to top two million for Game 3 on Saturday night. The NBA still a bit of an afterglow left over from the Raptors as TSN got a decent 573,000 for the game Sunday - especially good when you consider that does not include those who watched on ABC.

[url=https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/the-great-canadian-ratings-report--don-cherry-s-return-won-t-solve-rogers--nhl-woes-175400852.html]https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-ga ... 00852.html[/url]
Here are the most-watched sports events on English-language television from the past weekend, according to Numeris overnight ratings.
  1. NHL, Penguins at Sharks, Saturday, CBC: 2,100,000

2. MLB, Blue Jays at Red Sox, Friday, Sportsnet: 1,310,000

3. MLB, Blue Jays at Red Sox, Sunday, Sportsnet: 1,090,000

4. MLB, Blue Jays at Red Sox, Saturday, Sportsnet: 1,080,000

5. NBA, Cavaliers at Warriors, Sunday, TSN: 573,000 (ABC audience not measured)

6. Tennis, French Open men’s final, Sunday, TSN: 239,000 (NBC audience not measured)

7. PGA, Memorial final round, Sunday, Global: 218,000

8. MLB, Braves at Dodgers, Sunday, Sportsnet: 204,000

9. PGA, Memorial third round, Saturday, Global: 171,000

10. Athletics, Diamond League Birmingham, Sunday, CBC: 160,000

11. Mixed martial arts, UFC 199 preliminaries, Saturday, TSN: 155,000

12. Tennis, French Open women’s final/men’s doubles final, Saturday, TSN: 113,000 (NBC audience not measured)

13. Women’s soccer, Canada vs. Brazil, Saturday, TSN: 106,000

14. Athletics, Diamond League Rome, Saturday, CBC: 104,000

A tweet from CFL Communications:

Close to half a million Canadians watched our first preseason game last night. We missed you too, #CFL fans!

wow, incredible number for a meaningless pre-season game. (and on a Wednesday night to boot)
apparently, it’s been a long winter without our football fix.

:thup:

That’s an amazing number for preseason football on a Wednesday, up against the NBA finals. Hopefully it’s a sign of things to come this year.

It was also up against TFC/Impact soccer game , wonder how their numbers were ?

What?!?!?!?!

I know I watched, with the sound off, but still… those are BIG numbers for an exhibition game.

Also, don’t forget that 30 for 30 O.J. series will be on Saturday night and a LOT of people will watch - c’est moi! :slight_smile:

Does anyone have the ability to post this info at the RPB?

Pat, can you do the honours?

You could do it Kevin , or did they ban you for life over there ? :lol:

No Canadian teams in the NHL playoffs have left a lot of people starving for their fix. Glad it was a respectable game for the first preseason game and these numbers

I was banned before being banned was cool. They thought I was someone else and shut me down FAST. I THINK I got one post in.

I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Very entertaining for an exhibition game. Better than a lot of the regular season games from last year. Hopefully it foreshadows things to come.

ESPN’s CFL schedule featured in a story on the American Sports Media Blog - Awful Announcing

[url=http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/espn-will-again-televise-20-cfl-games-in-the-u-s-stream-69-more.html]http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/espn-wi ... -more.html[/url]

And the Ti-Cats have announced they will live stream their home pre-season game against Ottawa on June 17th.

• http://ticats.ca/?p=33784
The Hamilton Tiger-Cats announced today that their home preseason game on June 17 against the Ottawa Redblacks will be streamed live on Ticats.ca. This marks the second consecutive year Ticats.ca will stream the home preseason game and follows a tremendous launch in 2015 where Ticats Fans from over 50 countries around the world tuned into to the live stream broadcast. The June 17 broadcast will feature full video and audio of the game, as well as a pre-game, halftime, and postgame show by the Ticats TV Live Panel, presented by Baffin. Play-by-play will be provided by TSN 1150’s radio broadcast featuring Marshall Ferguson and colour commentator, John “Coach Sal? Salavantis.

CFL CommunicationsVerified account
?@CFL_PR
#CFL fans undeterred by power outage: more than half a million watched the @sskroughriders/@BCLions preseason game.

Looks like Lions preseason nearly beats out all the euro soccer games in ratings except one game it nearly equalled.

You mean the “Riders” pre-season game? you can always count on all of them Sask fans for bringing up the CFL ratings… :thup:

Not surprised that the England - Russia game was the highest rated Euro game at 619,000
Euro ratings down but not surprising when you have first round teams like Albania playing Switzerland… :frowning:
Jays over 1 million again

Here are the most-watched sports events from the past weekend, according to Numeris overnight ratings:

[b]

1. NHL, Penguins at Sharks, Sunday, CBC-Sportsnet: 2,880,000 (NBC audience not measured)

2. MLB, Orioles at Blue Jays, Sunday, Sportsnet: 1,040,000

3. MLB, Orioles at Blue Jays, Saturday, Sportsnet: 868,000

4. MLB, Orioles at Blue Jays, Friday, Sportsnet One: 778,000

5. Euro soccer, England vs. Russia, Saturday, TSN: 619,000

6. NBA, Warriors at Cavaliers, Friday, Sportsnet: 610,000 (ABC audience not measured)

7. CFL, Lions at Roughriders, Saturday, TSN: 535,000

8. Euro soccer, Germany vs. Ukraine, Sunday, TSN: 496,000

9. Euro soccer, Poland vs. Northern Ireland, Sunday, TSN: 408,000

10. MLB, Red Sox at Twins, Sunday, Sportsnet: 335,000

11. Euro soccer, Romania vs. France, Friday, TSN: 331,000

12. Euro soccer, Wales vs. Slovakia, Saturday, TSN: 311,000

13. Auto racing, F1 Canadian Grand Prix, Sunday, TSN: 263,000

14. Euro soccer, Croatia vs. Turkey, Sunday, TSN: 246,000

15. Euro soccer, Albania vs. Switzerland, Saturday, TSN: 238,000

16. Equestrian, Spruce Meadows National, Saturday, CBC: 221,000

17. MLB, Red Sox at Twins, Saturday, Sportsnet: 194,000

18. PGA, St. Jude Classic final round, Sunday, Global: 162,000

19. MLB, Tigers at Yankees, Saturday, Sportsnet: 160,000

20. Rugby, Canada vs. Japan, Saturday, TSN: 150,000[/b]

more here

[url=https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/the-great-canadian-ratings-report--stanley-cup-and-euro-soccer-see-audiences-drop-175439800.html]https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/the-gr ... 39800.html[/url]

I suppose the Riders fans were also responsible for the great ratings of the MTL/WINNIPEG pre-season game that drew a half million as well?

:roll:

This could be a good year!!! :thup:

Half a million for pre-season is a good number how it’s sliced. Close to half a million for mid-week is sold to.

BTW, looking at Saturdays numbers…the Jays did not get a million viewers but still good overall. MLS is not even on the radar.

There are a bunch of good numbers for a bunch of sports from the weekend.

• Great numbers for the CFL game especially considering it is preseason and had a break of about an hour at halftime because of the blackout.
  • Finally a big number for the NHL - especially since that doesn’t include thousands who may have watched the NBC production of the game.
  • Three more big numbers for the Jays - Orioles series.
  • Another excellent number for the NBA - especially considering the same broadcast was on ABC
  • And I’m sure TSN is happy with the numbers for those first round soccer games. Several hours of soccer (12 hours +) averaging in the 400,000 range overall over the weekend.

Lots of encouraging numbers there.