CFL admits to blown call in HAM/OTT game

CFL admits it blew key calls in Ticats loss to Redblacks

[b]The CFL has acknowledged its officials blew two separate calls on a key play in Sunday’s game between the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and Ottawa Redblacks.

With just under five minutes to play in the fourth quarter and Ottawa leading by six, Ticat defensive back Brandon Stewart intercepted Redblacks’ quarterback Henry Burris and returned it for a touchdown. But officials called two penalties, an illegal block on Hamilton linebacker Simoni Lawrence and unnecessary roughness on defensive back Craig Butler.

So instead of 13-12 lead, the Ticats were forced to scrimmage at their own 45 yard line. They ultimately lost 12-6.

CFL vice-president of officiating Glen Johnson says he’s reviewed the play and determined that neither flag should have been thrown.

“Both of the penalties on that play were incorrect,? Johnson said. “Both of those calls don’t meet the standard that we define for those types of penalties.?

Butler was penalized for a “tourist hit,? or contact on a player that is not involved in the play. But Johnson said the receiver in question was still chasing Stewart when he was levelled by Butler with a legal block.

“A player that gets hit needs to have stopped playing and put themselves in a position where they shouldn’t expect to be hit,? Johnson said. “In this case, the man continued to play and he was pursuing the ball carrier.?

Lawrence was penalized for blocking an Ottawa player below the waist, something which is illegal after a turnover has occurred.

“The official had a bad angle on the play and assumed something happened based on the way the play finished,? Johnson said. “But it clearly wasn’t contact below the waist.?

The officials who threw the flags, umpire Patrick MacArthur and field judge Bryan Taylor, will see their ratings affected by the missed calls and that could impact playoff assignments, Johnson said.

“We had guys on that crew who ranked at or near the top for their position because we knew it had playoff implications,? Johnson said. “Both guys are disappointed in themselves and they are good, solid officials who had an error in judgment.?

Ticat CEO Scott Mitchell wouldn’t address the specific calls from Sunday’s game but said he remains convinced that expanded replay is something the league should be considering.

“Overall, I think the officiating in this league is very good but we’re always focussed on how we can make the game better,? Mitchell said. “Our position would be to continue use technology and replay to help the officials make accurate calls.?

The CFL expanded replay before this season to include pass interference and Mitchell said that’s a trend that should continue.

“Despite the fact that we’ve added the number of things available for replay review, the length of games has actually gone down this year,? Mitchell said. “There are ways that you can increase the amount of football that’s challengeable and we think it’s better for everyone if we allow the officials to be as accurate as possible.?

Johnson didn’t want to speculate on whether expanded replay would have helped in this particular case but said the play will be a talking point in the off-season.

“The rules committee process has just begun for 2016 and on that docket is how do we expand the use of replay to help in situations like this,? Johnson said. “We’ll use this play and others from throughout the season to see whether replay could have helped.?

There is, however, no recourse for the Ticats, who must now beat the Redblacks by six points or more in next Saturday’s rematch in Ottawa to win first place in the East Division.

Notes: Johnson also clarified that the first quarter hit by Lawrence on Burris that sparked so much controversy was indeed within the rulebook. “That was a legal hit by the standard we have for roughing the passer,? Johnson said. “When the passer is on the run and is not in the passing position he can be tackled low. We treat him just like we would any other ball carrier.?… the CFL has also reviewed the fourth quarter hit by Ottawa linebacker David Hinds on Ticat quarterback Jeff Mathews and determined there will be no supplementary discipline. Hinds was flagged for roughing the passer on the play, which left Mathews with a concussion and will force him to miss Saturday’s re-match in Ottawa [/b]

[url=http://3downnation.com/2015/11/04/cfl-admits-it-blew-key-calls-in-ticats-loss-to-redblacks/]http://3downnation.com/2015/11/04/cfl-a ... redblacks/[/url]

WOW !!!! What a Surprise :roll: And cue all the REF Apologists (You know who you are ) to start posting what a terrific job these guys do :thdn:

http://cfbhuddle.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/blind-referees.png

The official had a bad angle on the play and assumed something happened based on the way the play finished,? Johnson said. “But it clearly wasn’t contact below the waist.?

I have a feeling a lot of CFL officials call penalties base on the way a play finished or how a player feel or reacts to something and not on what they actually see.

This is why there a so many phantom calls. If you dont see an infraction dont call a penalty on what you think might have happened.

The official had a bad angle on the play and assumed something happened based on the way the play finished,? Johnson said. “But it clearly wasn’t contact below the waist.?

I have a feeling a lot of CFL officials call penalties base on the way a play finished or how a player feel or reacts to something and not on what they actually see.

This is why there a so many phantom calls. If you dont see an infraction dont call a penalty on what you think might have happened.

Johnny on the Spot will be by after last call.

Don't mean to be a bugger and all, but do you have permission to post the whole article in place of an excerpt? Otherwise, you're robbing the site of views, which in some corners is considered plagiarism.

[b]ROTFL Oh man Bobo, that was too much.

I immediately thought of a caption for the zebra shirts:

For the guy in the front…." Okay Rex, I hope you were watchin. Bark twice if it was pass interference. Bark three times if it was roughing the passer!

For the two guys in the background… " Where's the freaking ball?"
[/b]

Irrelevant.

Wow! More blown calls. There was one a few weeks ago wasn't there? Too many more of these and the players union will call for an internal investigation and will want to have the entire season replayed! That would make SSK and Winnipeg very happy. :thup:

If you are so worried about posting the whole article, Why would you repost the whole article again??? :wink:

Isn't that accessory to plagiarism after the fact. That's still 2-5 years. I would delete that re-post fast! I think I hear the internet police now.

Much ado about nothing when Ottawa wins by 10 on Saturday. :wink:

And that's what happens when you "always hit low".

I will say, though...I'm enjoying his interaction with fans on Twitter at the moment. Where some players get all worked up, insulting and and defensive (naturally), he's all "tell you love me". :lol:

Officials have been coming up with mystery calls all season, why would this game suddenly prompt them to admit it? It didn't cost anyone the game, it cost Hamilton the lead, that's all. Calls against Ottawa that would have put them in Hamilton territory late in the game was a mystery, the face mask on Kanneh that resulted in a recovered fumble by Ottawa, never mentioned. So who pushed the CFL into making this statement, Hamilton? All they did was make the CFL officials look weak and then throw them under the bus. It now causes the officials to second guess all their calls. It's bad enough the number of flags thrown this year that made no sense, it may get worse now. I hope not, but my gut feeling says that it will.

They referred to the Kanneh hit as a major foul, but didn't say what kind. It shouldn't have been a horse collar and he didn't clench the face mask, so I assume it was considered a blow to the head because his arm does sweep down across the face mask.

From "our" side, the one that bugged me was the play immediately after Lawrence does get flagged for roughing the passer. He then facemasks Powell on a running play. Both announcers mention it, but it is not called.

At this point, I no longer care. I'm punch drunk with it. Complaining here won't solve it.

As far as I'm concerned, officials are like bingo callers. They're going to call out a whole bunch of them, you just hope it goes your way.

The call was not for a Facemask on Kennah it was for Un-necessary Roughness, which it was
Hamilton did NOT push the CFL into making the Statement. :roll:
The CFL admitted to a blown call 5 weeks ago in the CGY @WPG game, which had huge implications on that game as well.

read here

[url=http://globalnews.ca/news/2243212/cfl-issues-statement-after-game-changing-call/]http://globalnews.ca/news/2243212/cfl-i ... ging-call/[/url]

I do appreciate the League's transparency on both of these.

What is the problem ?

Are new rules to confussing ?

This is week 19, should they not be better ?

These guys are supposed to be pro refs.

I know everyone makes mistakes , but for FS, they need to get their acts together.

BTW, speaking of getting acts together. Ham O-Line.