CBC May not be Dead when it come to the CFL

http://www.metronews.ca/column.aspx?id=89618

The CBC may not be a lame-duck broadcaster of the CFL, after all.

The network has been carrying CFL games since 1952, but because TSN paid mega-millions to become the league’s sole rights-holder as of next season, this month’s Grey Cup game was supposed to be CBC’s final CFL telecast.

Maybe not, though. Sources now tell me TSN (and its CTV partner) may be too booked up with Olympics coverage and whatnot to handle all CFL games in the future. So TSN may turn around and sell rights for some CFL games to CBC.

If so, CBC would need a makeover. Friedman’s terrific, as are Mark Lee and Chris Walby, but Steve Armitage and Daved Benefield have been embarrassingly inept. New faces would be required for the CFL on CBC, chaps who would spice up games with insight, intelligence and inside information, because this year’s roster simply didn’t cut it.

I hope this Report is Wrong
CBC has done a Rotten Job of Doing CFL games the past 5 years.

Like I stated in another thread, Tom, the Winter Olympics are in February 2010. What that has to do with interfering with CFL coverage that would end in November is beyond me. Brian Williams's hair does take a month to get ready, but still...

:D :D :D

Unless there is some budgetary issue I haven't heard about, I'm sure TSN can handle a full slate of CFL telecasts.

Oski Wee Wee,

If so, CBC would need a makeover. Friedman’s terrific, as are Mark Lee and Chris Walby, but Steve Armitage and Daved Benefield have been embarrassingly inept. New faces would be required for the CFL on CBC, chaps who would spice up games with insight, intelligence and inside information, because this year’s roster simply didn’t cut it.
I have to strongly disagree with your sentiments on Friedman and Mark Lee. I don't want to slander these guys but I don't feel Friedman brings anything to the table and as for Mark Lee - I've always thought he has had a bias against the Tiger Cats that Walby has to try to counter balance. I dunno, just my opinion but I am not going to miss Friedman or Lee at all when watching Cat away games.

Lee is so pro Argo against everybody. I still remember when the Argo guy crushed Calvillo after he threw the ball and lee flipped out and said that it wasn’t touch football, while a couple plays before Bishop got hit a bit (didn’t fall) and was calling for a penalty. Benefield has been a pretty good guy for the CBC, a lot better than the bum Millington.

I hope CBC still manages to show a game of the week. The CBC reaches many more homes in Canada then TSN, so I would think it would be in the leagues best interest to see them be able to show some games.

I doubt that but open to seeing some numbers to prove me otherwise.

Only people with cable get TSN but anyone with a TV and some rabbit ears can get CBC.

If you don't have cable & Satellite now
Your Stuck as of Next Season.
I feel bad for people in the boonies.
it'll be 900 CHML only for them.
It will be like going back before TV.

I think the CFL Made huge Mistake.
They Should Have Wait for more Bidders.
They should got a Broadcaster who could do OTA Broadcasts .
Not just Cable and Satellite

We spend a fair number of weekends at our cottage during the summer and fall when we can. There is no cable in the area at all, and we aren’t there enough to justify satellite on a year round basis. There is a CBC station within reach though, and I’ve caught some games that way. No more I guess. Have to go fishing or cut the grass instead I suppose.

Canada has one of the highest rates of cable subscription in the world. A quick scan of Statscan shows there were 10,106,000 subscribers to cable, satellite and internet TV in 2005, and 12,437,470 households in 2006 (don't know if this includes cottages...). That means roughly 80% of Canadian households should have access to TSN.

They still leaves 20% Out in the cold..

I lived without cable for two years in Brantford. CTV, TVO, and Global came in with rabbit ears, the CBC didn't.

Even if you have cable, TSN is not part of the basic package, you have to pay extra for an extra bundle of channels.

Then pay extra; it's your choice. The CBC isn't free, it is subsidized by our tax dollars.

If anyone is a CFL fan they will splurge and get TSN anyway. CBC showed one game on Saturday night along with the highly prized Labour Day and playoffs.

The Canadian market is well served by the private broadcasters making the CBC redundant and a waste of tax dollars. We don't need it. There isn't a public newspaper so why a public television station? If anything, I'd like to see the CBC become a federal version of TVO focusing on our national identity, culture, and a true alternative to the mainstream stations. Heck, I'd even pay for it.

Probably the best evidence is to look at the TV ratings (regularly posted over at 13thman.com). CBC consistently outdraws TSN. I, personally, think the two broadcasts are of equal quality, and therefore would conclude that the extended reach of the CBC broadcast is the reason for the difference...

I already do. Not everyone does though, and for some it may be an issue, not a choice they can afford to exercise. Perhaps that is why CBC outdraws TSN, based on SSnowlings comments, assuming he is correct.

Overall, I like a lot of what CBC airs... the news, public affairs programs like The Nature of Things and Fifth Estate, shows like This Hour Has 22 Minutes. Many of those would not be on the air without a public broadcaster, and I don't mind having one at all. I tend to agree with you... if they became more like TVO that would suit me fine, it's the network I tend to watch most anyway.

Like an earlier poster, I don't have cable at the cottage, and it ain't worth paying for it and the sports package to get a few ball games. I get the CBC, CH and few other things on the aerial, so the CBC worked better for me. Oh well, I guess it gives me a good excuse to stumble down to the closest watering hole on game night.

There you go. See, having to leave the cottage to watch a game gets you interacting with your neighbours, strengthening the community, and leads to a greater societal ideal. Kinda like the game experience at IWS.

Ockham, you really do have to pull that ramrod out of wherever you have it stuffed...

I am oh so sorry that you don't like Medicare or CPP or UIC or any other public things, and will (somewhat) silently be sympathtic that you foolishly believe that Cdn athletes will be featured on TSN if CBC doesn't follow the Olympics

Likewise, I'm sorry that you've never loved where there is no "cable", and "satellite" is expensive, and there really isn't an "option" to attend a game...

Yes, at least 10-15% of Canada's population lives within 100 km of Toronto (astoundingly, this includes Hamilton!) but there's a lot of country that is "Canada" whose only "national programming" comes from CBC...

I think you are really out to lunch on this one...

Lifter

Typical.