CBC Making A Move on the CFL?

I was perusing the CBC website today, and I noticed alot of CFL stories in the sports section.
Not only were there stories, but they were displayed prominently on the website.
Whereas when I used to go there the CFL was treated like any other sport.

With the TV rights coming up, is this change in attitude by the CBC towards the CFL a sign that there is some kind of a TV deal in the works?

I'm not saying TSN is out, but is CBC coming in to partner with TSN for the new TV deal?
Looking at the CBC website, I think something is up.

[quote="benji"]I was perusing the CBC website today, and I noticed alot of CFL stories in the sports section.
Not only were there stories, but they were displayed prominently on the website.
Whereas when I used to go there the CFL was treated like any other sport.

With the TV rights coming up, is this change in attitude by the CBC towards the CFL a sign that there is some kind of a TV deal in the works?

I'm not saying TSN is out, but is CBC coming in to partner with TSN for the new TV deal?
Looking at the CBC website, I think something is up.[/qu

Give them.... at most a game a week and hope they don,t screw it up. TSN has been great,you can not ask for anything more then doing every game of the season and playoffs. CBC had their shot and did a awful job .

Kasps.
I heard Cohon in an interview say he is looking at bringing in more "partners".
Does he mean CBC as a partner with TSN?

Especially if expansion occurs, TSN wouldn't be able to handle all the games.
And a Grey Cup on CBC would easily mean about a million extra viewers.
Not saying its a done deal, but I think things are happening.

I think they need to go TSN and Global.

since CTV has the NFL now, Global would love to have some football too.

The CBC has always had good CFL coverage on their Web Site even after being shut out of the negotiations for the last TV contract. All I can say is if CTV won't put games on the main network, then I'll take the CBC back in a heart beat. I really can't see Global being an option.

This is good news, if for any other reason but to make sure this time around during contract negotiations there will actually be a bidding war for the rights.
That can only increase a valued property such as the CFL.

Agreed. If anything, the presence of another bidder will only increase the amount of money the league will get for TV rights.

I think more of a partnership Mark, as Cohon hinted in an interview.
Just the fact CBC has lots of CFL on its sports page.
And TSN is still giving the league stories even though the season is over.
I wouldn’t be surprised if some kind of deal in principle has already been worked out.

I would have no problem with this “partnership” like in previous years.
However, the league has to mandate the playoffs and GC are shown on the larger network ensuring bigger viewership.
The involvement of the two may also garner a bigger payday?

Yes CBCsports re-vamped their site during the summer. The content when it comes to the CFL is actually pretty good. They got a regular podcast as well as a couple bloggers and post plenty of cfl news. Just because CBC might not have been good in the past has nothing to do with their ability in the future, like honestly some of you need to give it up.

I've said on numerous occasions that I believe that CBC will be getting games in the new tv deal. It will not be an exclusive deal with only one partner. I'm convinced of that. If any of you got a chance to listen to Cohon's interview with Arash Madani during Grey Cup, he had some very interesting things to say about the new tv deal.

With the upcoming TV renegotiation shared TV coverage is always a possibility but in the end $$$ rule and if TSN bids a lot more for continued exclusive rights what is "desired" may not meet with reality. Granted, a bigger overall audience should mean more revenue for the league.

CBC didn't want to stop broadcasting CFL games - they weren't given a chance to bid when the previous contract came up and then TSN decided not to sell them the rights to any of the games.

And hopefully CBC learned their lesson. Their coverage was so horrendously abysmal as to defy explanation. Seriously, cutting out of a broadcast before the end of a game to air a made-for-tv movie? Worse yet, Chris Walby?

If the CBC gets any games, they better not give it the same effort they did in the past. I would hope that if they do get games, that the CFL has a clause allowing them to pull the games and put them on another network if the production value is not up to standard.

The CBC might not even have the money to go it alone, so a partnership deal could work where it does a few games here and there maybe carries the playoffs and GC. I wouldn't want to see it take the lions share of games that's for sure. It's coverage became a national embarrassment with that ridiculous excuse that they couldn't find the producer's phone number :roll:

The contract still has two years to go doesn't it? And doesn't TSN have an option for 2013?

I really hope that there will be more than one broadcaster when this deal is done. TSN has done a fantastic job, but there isn't as much of an incentive to promote the CFL for CBC and Sportsnet when a rival network shows all of the games. If one or both of CBC and Sportsnet can get in on the next deal I think it would be great for the league to get that additional exposure. Given what TSN has done, maybe they could be awarded the Grey Cup rights. OR the CFL could do what the NFL does and have the broadcasters rotate every year.

Mandate? And if Bell Media says No, we're not going to suffer a net loss of viewers on all of our properties by taking high-rated shows off CTV for football, while exchanging high-rated CFL games for what would be much lower-rated programming on TSN? What then? Walk away and have CBC be the only bidder?

First off PW, CTV doesn't mind making room for the NFL does it?

Next TV deal will involve a non cable network, ie the CBC.
I remember Cohon mentioning getting the Grey Cup to more people.
CBC would do that.
I read they reach 4 million more homes then TSN does.

I could see TSN and CBC sharing playoff games.
Then both networks showing the Grey Cup.
Like when CBC and CTV used to both show the game.

I also think if this TV deal is big enough, you could see expansion take place pretty quick.
Becuase TV money helps sell franchises.
The next TV deal will determine the future of this league..

Agree the next TV deal will have an effect on possible expansion and the future of the league.

And also push higher the general quality of the game coverage with which I am definitely not satisfied overall for TSN

TSN needs to change perhaps half of its heads on air, but the guys in the studio except that Jock Climie are good.

Doesn't get any better than Cuthbert and Miller. Mark Lee wasn't bad doing games just before CBC got the boot. I agree , we need more quality from the Colour commentary position. This is a long time ago, but old CFN had a great crew, Bob Irving,the absolute best of all time and Dave Hodge was good, with Neil Lumsden providing colour!