CBC Blows Coverage

Thank "g" for tsn - IMHO the cbc is better at covering curling and backgammon, NO CBC in 2008 :rockin:

Interesting.

I’ll be happy when the CBC is closed.

My apologies, I figured we could simply agree to disagree and move on here. No worries though, I can give my 5 year-old self a call if you'd like to continue the discussion.

I realize that you’re using curling as an example, simply to portray it as an insignificant sport compared to football.
But, in fact, the CBC has always done a terrible job portraying curling, compared to TSN. That’s why the CBC has now been cut off. TSN will do all the curling events from now on.

When the stars are finally all correctly aligned, CBC sports will no longer be with us. Can’t come soon enough for me.

It sounds like it will be a local call.

You can go back to wasting our tax dollars now.

...and your "federal version of TVO" would be funded how, exactly?

I have to say, I LIKE the CBC. For one of 2 “national” news programmes, it gives a balanced view of both national and international news; as opposed to a VERY Conservative view on the “other” national news programme…

Exactly like TVO is.

Alas, sig, we finally found something to disagree on. I’m not sure what other national news program you are referring to, but I’m sure even the CBC folks would spit their milk at the idea of being fair and balanced. Consider this, if one of the federal parties is likely to scrap your company and thus your job, are you likely to see it objectively?

Read Neil Postma’s “How to watch the evening news” for an objective perspective on this subject. Everyone is biased and most have vested interests. At least the private sector is open about it and not using your tax dollars to promote their interests.

Ahh, but the private sector is exactly that - private. Zero accountability except to their masters. It's no secret that CTV is as conservative as you can get in this country. Sometimes it's good to get a view from the left...

The private sector is accountable to share holders, advertisers, viewership numbers, whereas the CBC can just draw from the tax trough anytime it needs more cash.

Anyway, this thread has gotten away from its original topic. I'd be happy to debate this with you in p.m.
It's just a matter of time until one of the Maas-Haters hijacks it.

lol. Let's agree to disagree then.

Ockham wrote:" whereas the CBC can just draw from the tax trough anytime it needs more cash. "

Not true. The CBC has had budget cutbacks for many years now. They have been stretched pretty thin for some time. Its not the same middle management-heavy outfit it used to be. They are better off in that respect. Still make the same stupid programming decisions though.

Sigpig: You are right about CBC TV news. "The National" has been the best newscast in North America for years in my view but I sense the beginnings of some dumbing down.
Off my soapbox now...back to football.

cbc radio is pretty good, especially radio 3.

Ockham: So, let me get this straight. Funding a network that you enjoy (TVO) on a Federal level would be acceptable. However, funding a network that you don’t care for (CBC) is a “waste of tax dollars?? If the CBC is simply “drawing from the tax trough? as you so eloquently put it, what exactly do you think any other Federally-subsidized network would do?

Oh, wait…I think I have it figured out here, guys. It’s a “waste of tax dollars? when it’s something Ockham doesn’t use and/or enjoy, but a different Federally-funded network operating under the exact same principle as the CBC is perfectly fine.

Seems fair and objective to me. Are you sure you’re not in politics?

I"m not being hypocritical here. If we are to fund a federal television station then I believe it should be on the TVO model: no commercials, no news, more educational programming. When we see surveys of Canadian history and the vast number of people who don't have a clue as to the nation's heritage, perhaps a publically funded vehicle has a purpose. But as it exists today as just another pop-cultured broadcaster competing for ad-revenue with private enterprise, no, I see no need for One Billion Tax Dolllars Annually funding it.

p.s. Ok, I'm being a little hypocritical. Purists would argue that if a commercial enterprise can't make it on its own then it's not worth the expense. However, I enjoy CBC radio (the original) and sometimes it is in the greater good to fund special interests. However, the CBC should decide what it wants to be: a national bridge or a commercial enterprise. It should not compete with those who put up their own resources in exchange for a positive return.

[url=http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/21082007/3/sports-cable-channels-rebroadcast-controversial-riders-eskimos-game.html]http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/21082007/3/s ... -game.html[/url]

CBC

Probably Jason's fault ..............

I was gonna say that.

Radio3 is the world’s best radio station.

And that statement contains exactly 0% hyperbole.