Cauz's Uniform Vault: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Hello everyone and welcome to Part III of my: “Wildly unofficial history of uniforms for every CFL team that immediately becomes less about uniforms and more just a fun nostalgia trip” Series.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2021/01/03/cauzs-uniform-vault-saskatchewan-roughriders/
1 Like

The previous logo from the 1970s resembles the Safeway one doesn't it.

Like the current look though.

I always thought the Safeway logo was red. Lol. But my favourite brand is the current one.

1 Like

Nice uniform piece!

My first introduction to the Riders was in the early 80s, when a family friend took me to Taylor Field (against the Alouettes, who that season briefly featured NFL players like Vince Ferragamo and Billy 'White Shoes' Johnson). Those early 80s Riders teams WERE fun... Coach Joe Faragalli, Joey Walters and Chris DeFrance at receiver, and the JJ Barnagel QB tandem. 1981 was the Sask's first winning season in years, altho they just missed the playoffs (a disappointing 13-5 loss to the Lions in a monsoon at Empire Stadium)…

Go Riders!

2 Likes

Great memories! My first game at Taylor field was the Labour Day classic. Riders lost but I got to see JJ Barnagel in action with E.T. and DeFrance.

Some nice pics in this thread. The "unknown player" shown in the second photo is Frank Tripucka. Frank quarterbacked the Roughriders for much of the 1950's. He wore numbers 24 and 82.

Tripucka migrated to Denver in '60 to join the newly formed Broncos' coaching staff. After realizing the roster contained no viable qbs, Tripucka put on probably one of the ugliest unis in the history of football, and took over the quarterbacking duties. Btw, those uniforms were so bad, they are cool.