Cauz: Why Bo is the top story for the 2022 season

CFL.ca will be previewing the 2022 season, taking an in-depth look at each of the nine teams as they get set to hit the field.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/04/20/cauz-why-bo-is-the-top-story-for-the-2022-season/

Bo's either going to be the comeback player of the year or we'll see his heir apparent Jake Maier take the reins. John Hufnagel will get it right this season. He's one smart cookie. I think Calgary fans will be happy with whoever winds up behind centre come playoff time.

1 Like

I'd go so far as to say Bo's TD:INT ratio was even worse than Cornelius. Cornelius played game 12 in Regina, 1 day flying to Toronto, 1day rest, then played the Argos. Another day flying over 3 time zones to Vancouver, 1 day rest & then played BC. He threw 7 INT's in those 3 games. The final score in BC is a good indication of what happens when you have 1 day rest between games over a week & you have nothing to play for & no time to game plan for your opponent. He did have 4 TD's, surprisingly, over that stretch so he was 5 TDs:6 INT's after 11 games. Yeah, Bo was way off for sure.
As an aside Rourke threw for 1 TD & 2 INT's in the blowout vs a dead tired club. As much as I would like to see him succeed, when I look at his scorecard I'd have to say that ranks up there with Bo as the story this year. But, I agree, Bo's #1.
For the record, I see Bo having a good season.

1 Like

He's not the top story except for these tsn types that have been kissing his butt ever since he was a short yardage qb.

1 Like

BLM suffered from late changes to the O line and an inexperienced receiving corp in 2021. People underrate the fallout from losing Bergman, Rogers and Brescasin among others.

Other side of that coin is that they have moved on and are younger.

Hunchak, Hakunavanhu, Sindani will all benefit from the reps they got in 2021 and make up a nice national contingent. Begelton and Jordan are top flight guys. Williams-Lambert doesn't have to be a hero. O line will be better. Run game is awesome. There is a lot to like about Calgary's chances.

BLM has a good year IMO.

If Calgary drafts a Philpot it would be a good spot for that player to play.

1 Like

The man has a great amount of pride and if healthy will prove a lot people wrong this year

2 Likes

Good comments. IMO very good chance Stamps take a Philpot. My guess is Elks take Richards, Ottawa takes Mechie, top guy in draft, BC takes a Philpot. So unless the Als grab the other Philpot he's available @ 5. Makes more sense to me for Als to take Makonzo because they're thin @ DB with Hunter, Glass, Cranston & Levels all leaving & not much on National. We'll see what happens.

1 Like

I have to somewhat agree with you. Those TSN types are like a dog with a bone. You can give that dog more bones but he'll bury them until he's finished with the one he's chewing on.

However, Bo is the premier QB in the CFL and for that, they will give him most of their attention. I wouldn't mind though if some of those TSN people could lose their voice from time to time.

agreed, the guy was and still may be a great QB

3 Likes

(Ticat fan) Some may think he's brash or arrogant, but after 40 years in the army, I see a real leader of men that puts his money where his mouth is. I hope he has a great season because he just makes the CFL better.

2 Likes

I consider BLM a first class act on and off the field. In my humble opinion the cancelled season due to COVID-19 and the above injuries plagued Bo. I truly hope he stays healthy and productive this upcoming 2022 season. :wink:

3 Likes

One does not succeed as a QB solely by being lucky or by being a mediocre QB on a great team... BLM had what it takes or he would have washed up in his first season or sooner

2 Likes

Boy it's funny how different people have different opinions. I watched him now going in and out after two downs for such a long time. Missing his targets, giving up huge interceptions, failing to run with the ball even once, the recipient of more time count violations than you could shake a stick at, not good at practise, slow on his feet, fails to move the pocket anywhere etc etc.
And you people are saying he's a great QB?? No not in the least!

1 Like

I have to agree. I am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt for his past “great” play on very good teams, but last season was a tire fire. I know he had some physical issues, but the amount of mental mistakes was astounding. He is immobile and never possessed the best arm. Maybe he will prove me wrong, but my bet is that he is near the end of his career and before long we will see Oscar Maier take the helm. I don’t believe that Calgary’s QB situation is as solid as most seem to think. Maier looked good in a short sample, but he will need to show that he can sustain that on a regular basis.

2 Likes

We had season tickets in Section S" and I loved our seats! I love the Stamps and I love Calgary. But to watch this guy, I was becoming more and more frustrated. It seemed to me, (and I hope to be wrong) that Mitchell has Dickenson where he wants him in his hind pocket. The relationship , to me at least, doesn't seem like a healthy one.
I mean if I were coaching and my QB wasn't paying any attention to the time clock, or was missing pass after pass after pass, and refused to run with the ball, then he would become my 3rd stringer and not my first.

1 Like

I agree with your statments.

1 Like

Bo is a true gem….on the field and off the field! He truly exemplifies CFL royalty. Having had Dickenson and Huffnagel can’t be overstated but I have to say that losing Pete Costanza has severely hurt their passing game. No one coaches receivers like Pete and his departure has cost Calgary in terms of production. Bo will be Bo, but Calgary has loss the ability to retain players and coaches and that definitely comes at a cost. Winnipeg is the new model of that. You can’t just replace a championship level coach with someone from the CIS, no more than you can replace an American left tackle with a German global draft pick. Winnipeg will win again unless teams go back to hiring the best coaches available.

Yes; good in the short sample. I will return back to the Stadium, after Michell disappears. As a fan, I need to see more completions, less interceptions, less time count violations, a QB who will run and better support his team mates, and a coach who looks for the best talent to play and not his best friend. Maybe the head coach is the problem here.

Kudos for being thorough but check your list again and make sure you didn't miss the disobedient in high school issue.

It's refreshing to see someone agree with their own 'statments'. I have second thoughts about what I post all the time. :grin:

2 Likes