Cauz: Valentine's Day gets a free agency twist

I sincerely hope each and every Winnipeg Blue Bombers fan is upset over Andrew Harris signing with the Toronto Argonauts. Before you send all your hate mail please let me explain. The only players that cause an emotional reaction when they leave are the ones that had a significant impact when they were there.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/02/14/cauz-valentines-day-gets-free-agency-twist/

Greg Ellingson going from Edmonton to Winnipeg while Kenny Lawler goes from Winnipeg to Edmonton.

The two most beautiful words in the English language are "check enclosed". Dorothy Parker

Aristotle, Miss Piggy, Dolly Parton, Socrates, Dr. Seuss , all come together to create... I'm not sure what that was.

1 Like

Opinion is the wilderness between knowledge and ignorance.

-Plato

I don’t think Winnipeg fans are very upset about losing Harris. He had the option of taking a home town discount, like many others did. He chose not to. That is his option and it was not unexpected. Winnipeg played much of the year without him last year and they retain the same two Canadian running backs that essentially got them to the playoffs. Harris was ordinary for most of the GC, although he did excel in this year’s WF and the 2019 GC. Still at 35 and coming off a serious non contact injury…

Losing Lawler and Adams and Desjarlais and Richardson, I expect, will be a bigger blow to their threepeat chances, unless they can be adequately replaced, than losing Harris. I don’t know any Winnipeg fans upset about losing Harris, in spite of the constant efforts by the press to make it so.

2 Likes

I’m slightly upset about the loss of Harris, but Brady and Johnny as a tandem will bring more to the table than a 35 year old Harris. The loss of the Stove hurts and I’m shocked Walters didn’t find a way to sign him. Maybe Nevis comes back at a big discount, or the Microwave is already in the kitchen and gets upgraded to a Combi-Oven. Ellingson for Lawler is more than an adequate replacement, but the Bombers will still need a deep threat to be added to the mix.

1 Like

Love the article Cauz. Entertaining and insightful. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

1 Like

'Socrates The retirement of Michael Reilly' (in hardcover) was required reading in my classic literature course back in the 1980's. Socratic Greece was never the same after Noble Reilly hung up his cleats and donned his toga for the Delta House party of the millenia. I'll share one of those carefully preserved images from that historic text (etched in weathered stone no less). Gaze upon this yellowed 2000 year old work of art by the Great Kodakus himself which captures the event so elegantly...

Toga! Toga! Toga!

2 Likes

The best article Matt Cauz has ever written. Great minds named "Matthew" think alike or fools seldom differ. :gem: :rofl: :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

As a Blue Bomber fan, have no problem whatsoever with Harris signing in Toronto. Good on him and I'm sure he'll be motivated, however, the team has not one but two really good backs that have also shown when given an opportunity that they can also do well. Everyone has to remember that Harris was fortunate in having the best offensive line and we all know what a difference that can make. He didn't play a whole lot last year and have a feeling that there is a chance that Harris will be the one who is a little more upset about leaving. Every fan base is going into the new season feeling good about their teams chances and I'm no different, make the playoffs and anything can happen after that. Already looking forward to the 2022 season:)

2 Likes