Cauz: My top free agent moves of the past 13 years

We are less than a week away from the official kickoff of the 2022 CFL Free Agency season! Like the rest of you I am constantly checking the Free Agent Tracker while scrutinizing the list of Top-30 free agents.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/02/03/cauz-top-free-agent-moves-past-13-years/

How does Stanley Bryant not make this list, if not be #1?

2 Likes

Offensive linemen are like the late Rodney Dangerfield.

They get no respect.

2 Likes

How does (insert your fave hometown player) not make this list, if not be no. 1?

Was 1st thing I thought as well, not #1 but for sure worthy to mention.

2 Likes

Where is Willie Jefferson ?

2 Likes

Name me a better Olineman over the past 10 or so years.......and then ask if they fit the category (FA). Bryant is 100% worthy of making this list.

1 Like

Great signing no doubt, but the article seems to look at the whole body of work while on the new team. Not enough time with the team?

2 Likes

I tend to agree. I also focussed on Bryant instead of Jefferson because of the all Canadian recognition and best Olineman awards he has won since being in Winnipeg via free agency. There is no one on the list that comes close to this level of recognition with their new team.

2 Likes

Please name me one player that has achieved the awards recognition that Bryant has after being signed as a free agent and also is still today virtually unanimously considered the best at their position some 8 years later. I don’t think it’s even close.

2 Likes

Maybe next year after winning yet another top lineman award he'll make the cut. In the meantime I'm hoping we get past this slight by signing the best free agency deal in CFL history THIS year. Wouldn't that be nice consolation prize. :smiley:

1 Like

Sure, he should be on the list, even high on the list, but no 1? and not even close? Come on, man.

Like I said, I don’t think any other free agent is as decorated and awarded as him, making him #1. I haven’t researched that though and a acknowledge I could be wrong and therefore invited you to name another player that has objectively outshone Bryant. Unless someone puts a name forward that would be on the same level, I will assume I am correct.

1 Like

Andrew Harris? Sinopoli? All with rings and multiple awards? Yea, those guys are all bums. Even amongst OLs, that Labatte, a decade with his team, multiple awards and a ring all while easing the ratio, yea not even close. (roll eyes)

Of course you will assume that you are right, you always do.

Bryant is a terrific player, he belongs on the list. he deserves every award that he has. It's an oversight by the author, absolutely. If you could lose your habitual hyperbole we could have a good discussion here.

I prefer to think of it as style, rather than hyperbole. At least I always admit I could be wrong.

But you haven’t convinced me on this one. Stanley has 3 MOP’s, one finalist nomination and a slew of all star selections. He also has two Grey Cups, although I was thinking of his individual accomplishments and not factoring into my reasoning what I consider to be a team award. While the players you mention all have achieved success with their new teams, I don’t think objectively they have reached the individual levels Stanley has.

Gee Cauz, I didn't know you signed any free agents. You must be like "tsn director of scouting" Craig Button.