Cats Trade with Edmonton

Interesting that draft picks for two separate drafts swapped hands.

3 Likes

It gets even more interesting tomorrow.

So we get our future right tackle, who can also play left tackle in Saxelid.

McDonald is good depth behind Simoni.

3 Likes

Cost us our 1st. I guess if he plays it's an improvement.

I like the trade. Saxelid and MacDonald were highly ranked draft picks in recent years, with the benefit of having spent time
on a pro roster. So I think we’re actually better off than looking at unproven guys at 8 and 28, especially with all the so- called experts saying this isn’t a deep draft. And we need depth on the oline - they must like Saxelid more than the top three or four olinemen in this draft.

5 Likes

Bird(s) in hand. Supposedly a shallow draft, so getting a player or two who will actually play for the Cats next year is good. No waiting for guys to try the NFL, or maybe wander off to the USFL/XFL, or even retire.

5 Likes

Couldn't agree more.

1 Like

I agree also
I don't know much about them
but
We needed Oline help and this will help! :+1:

2 Likes

High praise for McDonald

1 Like

Interestin'.

Saxelid has some CFL starting experience and an area of O-Line need addition for the Ticats; MacDonald is a big, athletic LB - goes with Feltmate to give the Cats 2 good young Canadian LBs - either might be able to start at MLB if given a shot.

We'll see what Jones can do with #s 1 & 8 overall now; might not be a real deep draft year, but still plenty of talent there IMO

2 Likes

We made a trade with Edmonton about 8-9 years ago that worked out pretty well. Hopefully this one does too.

3 Likes

More than likely Cats would have drafted a linebacker or db type for special teams at # 28. So MacDonald fits the bill and likely has a lot more upside.
Only thing not to like about this trade for Cat fans is it definitely makes draft day pretty anticlimactic.

1 Like

Steinauer with Louie B on pre-draft trade

2 Likes

Waiting to hear if the Cats can manage to sign last year's draft pick - DT Mo Diallo; haven't heard of him getting an NFL camp look? Too bad about Deane Leonard getting an NFL draft pick shot though.

Adding 2 experienced and highly rated Canadians in this trade takes some pressure off of this draft thinking ?

1 Like

We have some good depth at linebacker now.

WLB- Lawrence, McDonald
MLB- Santo-Knox, Feltmate
SLB- Kelly, Cross

3 Likes

Why did they let Ciraco walk again ?

Haven’t heard much about Diallo. If he comes up that’s a big bonus. Cats signed an undrafted DT named Donovan Glave who they’re apparently pretty high on but never heard much about him beforehand. Played at Acadia or somewhere out east then transferred to Mac.

Maybe they’ll look at trying to bag a defensive end in the second round if Federico, Archibald or Cherry are available.

Saxelid TSN mentions as an import

Went to school at UNLV, born in California but is a National...somehow.

Should be able to land a good DE prospect at #17 overall still (one of Archibald, Frederico or Pickett should still be around then?) ? - hope the guy pans out and teams with Bennett to possibly have a DE spot a full-time Nat. position; need to replace J. Davis and should not over-look Canadian talent at DE.

1 Like

My guesses

1. Money
  2. They didn’t like the way he progressed at centre.
  3. Some combo of items 1 and 2.

They probably see Saxelid as having a chance to fill in and possibly start at one of the Tackle spots down the road, which is usually harder to find in a National than a guard or centre. We’ll have to see.