Cats To Interview O'Shea Today

So....George Cortez may be seriously in the mix now?
That is good news. Maybe he can improve on our present QB'ing and also bring in someone to develop for the future.
Count me in for either him or Tim Burke.

Mike O'Shea did in fact turn his back on the team that wanted him (twice) so if I had a say in this matter, NO THANKS MIKE you burned your bridges. I would prefer either Cortez or Burke. If it came down to either of them, Cortez as HC and Burke as assistant HC.................................

If he was that good, I think he’d be Toronto’s head coach right now.

This guy is a complete poser. Turns his back on the Cats twice and is back now sniffing around for a promotion. Talk about an opportunist. :roll: I don't think he has the experience to be a head coach and more importantly, to assess our QB situation here. We need somebody with tremendous experience like a George Cortez who will be able to figure out whether Glenn still has it or if Quinton Porter is worth developing.

Hence my use of the word “if”.

The biggest thing for me is that I think we need someone who is a former player because that kind of person will garner the respect of our players. It’s been said that some of our team didn’t like playing for MB. I don’t know if O’Shea is the answer or not, I just find it ridiculous that people still have a hate on for the guy, just like I can’t fathom our fans who still boo Calvillo because of how he played when he was here. I think that our more vocal “fans” who hold on to these grudges played a part in creating the culture of losing that still hangs around Hamilton to a degree.

Exactly! I don’t know if he would be a good Head Coach or not. But, if he wins, he would be OUR hero.
I remember Ralph Toohey. When he played for Montreal, he was the dirtiest player in the history of the league. But, when he came to Hamilton and did his thing for us, he was cheered to the skies.
Same old story…Win, and you’re a hero…LOSE, and you’re a bum. The past can be forgotten very easily!

Ralph Toohey wasn’t twice a trader and a hateful Boatman , big difference good fan Wilf. :slight_smile:

I'm hoping for Cortez and Burke One as HC and one as Asst HC and co-ordinator.

Cortez as HC would be my prference.

True enough! Every comparison has an element of difference.
But, I can guarantee you this, human nature being what it is.
If O’Shea is hired, the reaction among Ticat fans would be…“If Obie and Bob think he is the right man for the job, let’s give him a chance, and judge him on results. But,it better be good! We’ll be watching!”

Then,if the team starts winning, all this past acrimony would disappear, and the love-in would begin.
It’s all about winning or losing. In the battle for fan popularity, nothing else matters. Nothing!

Is Madani the source for that? Do you have a link to share? Seems strange. If Wally is staying on as GM, I don’t see why he would grant permission to a division rival rather than a team from another division. On the one hand, if he wants to keep Benevides for himself, he might be granting the Riders permission only on the assumption that they won’t be attractive to Benevides. Still, by denying permission to Hamilton, Wally would be painting himself as a douche who won’t let his coordinators advance their careers, which should make it harder for his team to attract coaching talent in the future.

RIGHT ON…well said. :thup: Whoever we hire will get my support! No, I’m not a blind fan by saying that…I just put my trust in the team to put the best man available into the position and hope that they have made the right choice. :wink:

I just hope it happens sooner than later so we can stop with all the speculation and get on with building a winning team.

And Wilf…Merry Christmas to our friends in Elliot Lake!

We can find better than O"shea. Enough of using this team as a training ground for co-ordinators and coaches. The fans here deserve much better than that.

O'shea doesn't have the experience and time even at his current job. Besides, who's to say that if they should hire him to be the next head coach here, that at the first opportunity he wouldn't bolt to Toronto, like he has before. He has clearly demonstrated his loyalty to them, and as such, we would be wasting valuable time and resources preparing him for the next Argo head coach opening.

Kent Austin, George Cortez, Turner Gill, for my money, are serious contenders. O'shea is only a pretender.

Hence my use of the word "if".

The biggest thing for me is that I think we need someone who is a former player because that kind of person will garner the respect of our players. It's been said that some of our team didn't like playing for MB. I don't know if O'Shea is the answer or not, I just find it ridiculous that people still have a hate on for the guy, just like I can't fathom our fans who still boo Calvillo because of how he played when he was here. I think that our more vocal "fans" who hold on to these grudges played a part in creating the culture of losing that still hangs around Hamilton to a degree.

Cartman

Cartman,
Freedom of speech and freedom to express your thoughts> Booing O'Shea or Calvillo has nothing to do with creating a culture of losing. The past and current Tiger Cat administration should shoulder the blame. They in fact are the people who design the team structure from top to bottom. Any fan can boo whoever they want and when ever they want. The brain trust and I use that term lightly and the players are responsible for winning and not loosing. We as fans just attend the games and expect the team to perform and cheer when we win and in some cases boo persons who more than deserve a few raspberries.

Peace.........

You totally missed the point. No one said that fans can’t boo, but O’Shea no longer deserves this. The people who boo O’Shea are like 12 year old girls bitter over losing their 1st bf. It happened 15 years ago, fcs. But this is typical of Hamilton’s “loser mentality” (not ‘looser’, btw) that has been pointed out by both journalists and CFL players on other teams in the past. Remember Tom Canada who chose to retire instead of reporting to Hamilton? You want more examples? Just tune in to the 5th quarter & listen to the yahoos on there sometime.

Unlike you, I want to win. You want to rag on some guy who chose to work in a different place. If hiring that guy 15 years later means that we have a winning team, then I’m in. You’d be bitter cause you can’t continue to give him “a few raspberries”. :roll: yeesh.

Sorry to have to say this, but O’Shea is simply irredeemable. Some grudges are worth keeping. Just ask Joe Kapp.

Well, that’s pretty hypothetical then, unless Obie has a crystal ball or a time machine. Barring that, I’ll trust the opinion of the guy who knows O’Shea best: Jim Barker. He’s worked closely with both O’Shea and Milanovich, and it didn’t take him too long to make up his mind.

Hi Cartman:

In all the times O'shea has come to Ivor Wynne to play, I have never booed, as I felt he wasn't that important to waste energy on.

He never felt any loyalty or obligation to this football team, and that's fine. So, then why should time be spent talking to him about a position he isn't qualified for? There are much better and more capable people that this job should be honoured to. George Cortez, Tim Burke, Kent Austin, (if he is available) Turner Gill. These are accomplished individuals. What has O'shea done to earn a place at this table?

For some of us, it's not about a hate or bitterness. Hamilton needs and deserves truly qualified names, O'shea is not one of them.

Hi Expat:

Barker is the same person who held onto Lemon too long. He is also the same person, who when his offense could not produce and the defense was spending almost all the game on the field keeping the offense in the game, fired his DC and replaced him with someone who had absolutely no experience in the job.

This is the same person too who hired all the receivers?

You trust that judgement?

old fan,

IMO he’s not the first choice. If it were up to me, I’d choose Cortez, possibly Austin. I realize that for you, it’s not about hate or bitterness. But it is for a LOT of Ticat fans.

The only thing I’d challenge you on is this issue of his qualifications. No one on this board knows what he’s like as a coach. But the other thing is, if he’s not qualified, why did Obie interview him for the position? I’d like to think it’s because they expect to lose Chamblin to Sask, but again, no one on this board (except for Caretaker) knows for sure.

8) The entire article is on the Sportsnet.ca site, under the CFL section, Coaching changes.
   The article is by Arash Madani, titled , Winds of Change, Dec. 6.
8) TSN is reporting that Brendan Taman is actively pursuing Kent Austin to come back to Regina as HC.
   Apparently Regina has received permission from Cornell Univ. to interview Austin about the job.

It is also believed that Hamilton have expressed an interest in Austin, through his agent !!