Cats Release Avon Cobourne

I like what Avon brought to the team, yardage, blocking, leadership and attitude. He was productive and professional.

He is also 34 years old, removed himself from training camp last season when he learned there would be competition for his position. Then when he returned, on arrival at his first practice, spoke of retirement as soon as the end of last season.

I would like to see him stay for his earlier qualities. However, this team not only has to be concerned about the present, but the future as well. Therefore, the latter information is valid to be considered too.

Interesting, that this same decision came from an entirely different coaching and management staff.

People say age is just a number and this is likely true for Avon who continued through last season to play like he was a 25
year old. As fans we owe Avon a lot. He was not only a great ball carrier and blocker, he was quite the showman and
therefore, very entertaining. He intimidated many opposition players with his constant yapping which for us fans, was
a good thing.

Alas, the time has come to say goodbye, but if this season goes like last year's, with injuries to our running backs,
I hope he is kept on a short leash.

While I agree with the theory of thinking about youth and the future, nothing is ever carved in stone in this business.

Dueces was a great Ti-Cat, both on and off the field.
He came with a very high price tag. ($150K/yr.)
We had the worst defense in the league last season!!!
There is a salary cap to be met and we can all agree that money must be used to upgrade the defense not offense.
Austin has already spent some money on defense and this extra coin can bring in a player in a position where we need help.
We have an abundance of RB's, we need DB's and DL's!

ACs best trait as a player IMO is always hitting the hole hard and making positive yardage. Dude was a bull. Also brought a level of swagger and confidence to the offense. He will be missed more than just on the field. Dude was a Pros-Pro.

Good Luck AC, I enjoyed every minute you were here!!

The Cats will really miss his pass protection blocking.

Cobourne, in comparison, was just brutal in that regard. Hopefully Mallet will be an upgrade over him and they can use them both to their full potential. This is one area that GC failed us last year, using both deuces and Cobourne together. Properly used, defences would not be able to key on one runner (weapon).

Good luck Avon. I really appreciated all of your efforts. :rockin:

You mean Walker, but I got what you were saying… I nope Coach Austin doesn’t pull a Cortez and sit one or the other and plays them both to their strengths…

Maybe on longer downs bring in Walker and run screens and draw plays with him and use Mallett as a Cobourne type back to get those tough yards with power…

brain fart alert:

I used “Cobourne” twice above when I meant to use “Walker”. (Mike having a senior moment). :oops: :oops: :oops:

i dont reallly know if ac was really committed to this year his twitter account was mostly about his vialis challenge stuff yes it is off season but i dunno he may have came to camp and been a cut to begin with whatever this release was his fate and im sure he will be fine doing whatever he chooses.That said i do think we will miss his smash mouth trash talking ways. Champs blead by example and that he did. So now its time for mallet and walker to step up and fill the shoes mallets got experiance and walker is one yr wiser lets go boys answer the bell.

I think it's a mistake. AC always brought his A game. As has been mentioned before in this thread Mallet is still untested, especially after being a tackling dummy in the NFL. Walker has potential, however still has alot to learn. Avon would be a great teacher for him.

Avon, a competitor on the field and a funny guy off it. I hope he catches on somewhere else, but if he doesn't, I wish him all the best in his future career. He was a key part of bringing two Grey Cups to Montreal, and I'll always be grateful. :thup:

This makes sense because the money is being routed to a defense that was in dire need of uprgrades. I was critical of Ob spending all the money on the offense last year and Austin is fixing that.

"This makes sense because the money is being routed to a defense that was in dire need of uprgrades. I was critical of Ob spending all the money on the offense last year and Austin is fixing that."

And what did Popp do for your defense last season? He signed Restelli and Hunt. And neither made it much past training camp. And how was that defense last season? So good, you fired your DC the day after your season ended.

Your criticisms should start with your own team!

. . .and then Hamilton hired him. . .

"Are you insane ? I'm praising Austin. Instead of just trying to get your mouth in there try and take a breath."

I'm just posing a question....what's wrong with that...perhaps you should think a moment before you insult....or is that against your nature. Silly question...of course it is....

"So good, you fired your DC the day after your season ended.

. . .and then Hamilton hired him. . .

Perhaps, Madjack you proof your work...I wrote that ..not one of your colleagues....yes Hamilton hired him...and I've also said that I would rather they had kept Daley. But at least we didn't hire the guy to design our defense....like you did!!!

To be the special teams coordinator, not the defensive coordinator. Not an apples to apples comparison. Perhaps Reinebold will be much better at his new job than he was at his old one. Perhaps he won’t, but we don’t know yet. What we do know is that he was terrible as Montreal’s DC, so old fan’s points still stand.

I wouldn't object to Daley. . .but in addition, old fan, I would have looked to Gary Etcheverry and Mark Nelson before I'd have looked at Reinebold. But, Austin's being paid to make that decision, not me.

Say who's older, you or me ?

Why is it that any criticism of Hamilton by a non-Cats fan, no matter how legitimate, is flamed by the same two or three members? Here's a newflash: an Als fan being critical of the previous regime (Obie) doesn't mean he thinks his own team is doing fine and dandy, or that Jim Popp is immune to criticism. We Als fans are very, very aware of the shortcomings of our own franchise, particularly this offseason with our head coach leaving us with no coaching staff and our GM clearly trolling for NFL employment at the expense of the franchise that pays his cheques. If certain members here stepped outside their own sandlot every once in a while, they'd know that.

Hfx was praising your new GM and head coach by pointing out what he's doing to improve the team, and for his trouble, he gets slammed, because a couple of Cats fans are such sensitive wallflowers that they can't tolerate any opinion from outside their self-chosen hive mind. Babies need their bottles. :lol:

"I wouldn't object to Daley. . .but in addition, old fan, I would have looked to Gary Etcheverry and Mark Nelson before I'd have looked at Reinebold. But, Austin's being paid to make that decision, not me."

If I were making that decision, and of course, I'm not, I would take Jim Daley back in a heart beat as the special teams coach.

I would hire almost anyone over Reinebold, especially with his recent history. But, I'm trusting Austin's judgment more and more with the moves he is making.

I said the day he was hired in Montreal, that Reinebold would be their downfall. His arrival here does have me worried.

"Say who's older, you or me ?"

I don't know, Madjack. You tell me your age and I'll lie about mine....LOL

Well, old fan, my first live attendance at a CFL game was in old Civic Stadium, in October 1962, so I got to witness Joe Zuger's record setting game in a 67-21 win over Regina.

I was all of 9 years old. . .