Cats Hire Steinaeur as New DC

8) Arash Madani has just reported that the TiCats have hired Orlando Steinhour as their new Def. Coord. !!
 Madani says that the official announcement will be made soon.

Good choice if true. Has to be better than you know who. Name is spelled Steinauer. Another TO loss. Looks good on them.

Both names misspelled – should be Orlondo Steinauer. But, don’t feel bad, Tipper. Even the Spec blog’s initial confirmation of Madani’s scoop had Orlondo spelled incorrectly too.

Corey Chamblin, then Casey Creehan and now Orlando Steinauer.

I don't like this trend at all.

Strange

Wouldn't have been my first choice, but I can see the merit in poaching one of the defensive coaches from the defending Grey Cup champions. This is as much about getting over on Ricky Ray as it is about the Cats' defense in and of itself. Unlike Creehan and Chamblin, Steinhauer at least has some experience as DC (half a season in 2010 IIRC).

Half a season is hardly experience at all.

Poaching is only good if the person you are stealing has the ability to organize an effective defense.

Defense has been a HUGE weakness in this team for the past few seasons. We need an experienced eye, not another student to teach....

I always thought Orlondo was a great player and bright fella who was liked by his team-mates. I hated to see him go.
Somewhere along the line new talent has to be given a start in coaching.
Maybe Kent Austin knows him well enough to have confidence in his potential after what he has done with the blue team.

I’m not saying I endorse the hire. Like you, I’m puzzled that Austin didn’t reach out to an established name like Greg Marshall or even Gary Etcheverry. On the other hand, not all rookie or near-rookie coaches are created equal. Steinhauer may make us eat our words.

…maybe he did

Yes, Steinauer may well surprise all of us doubters. And if he does, I will gladly eat my words.

Meantime, there's an old saying that says that those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. And that is what I fear.

As history here has sadly been repeating itself way too often!

Based on your definition of a DC, we would be unable to “poach” anyone as you are only allowed to leave if your job is an upgrade. (Yeah I know the Toronto situation happened and they were fined peanuts but that is not supposed to happen)

I would have liked to see Etchevery as the DC. I am not a fan of Marshall’s bend but don’t break defense. Marshall’s defense was on the field way too much and we gave up way too many yards with him here.

Anyone should be able to grab ANY coach from the Argos for $5000.00

Good point. This move in general is not overly exciting because Steinaeur is not much more experienced than Chamblin and Creehan. So again the defense will be run by a near-rookie co-ordinater. But I don’t believe he was Austin’s 1st choice. Even though they’ll probably present it that way in the media conference. We all hope the new DC works out but he’ll have somewhat of a learning curve and I’m again expecting some defensive struggles in 2013. The fact that Steinaeur worked under Chris Jones is no guarantee of success. Just like how Creehan didn’t exactly pan out after being a student of Tim Burke. We’ll have to take a “wait and see” approach to this hiring.

Hard to say with the holidays but certainly looking like Deja vu.

…it’s the Mitchell way.

I will however welcome O.S. as he is has great attitude and hopefully is ready to grow.

:cowboy:

KA would have done due diligence including a face-to-face interview and almost certainly got feedback from others; it's not like he went down a list until he came to a warm body. I'll take a wait and see approach, D has a long way to go to come back to Ticat standards.

[b]"Based on your definition of a DC, we would be unable to "poach" anyone as you are only allowed to leave if your job is an upgrade. (Yeah I know the Toronto situation happened and they were fined peanuts but that is not supposed to happen)

I would have liked to see Etchevery as the DC. I am not a fan of Marshall's bend but don't break defense. Marshall's defense was on the field way too much and we gave up way too many yards with him here."[/b]

Not sure where your first statement came from, Alan, I only suggested that if you're going to poach someone from another team, make sure they have some ablility, but mostly experience.

As you stated further down in your response Etchevery would have been a good choice. In my humble opinion, a better one than the person hired. But, since we don't know how the process went, Steinauer could have been the second or third choice on the list.

Can't stand him for ditching us, but the stats of his DBs speak for themselves and player reaction that I've seen has been good so I will also wait and see. Don't care who it is as long as we win.

Based on experience, OS has that. What we needed was an experienced DC. Unfortunately you are not supposed to poach another DC, only an assistant. I want a guy who has been a DC before, we have had our fill of first time DCs in the last 2 years.