Can't Be True? Cohon Proposes CFL Become NFL Minor League?

DAve Naylor of the Globe and Mail wrote this article.
I find it very sad if its true.
Mark Cohon proposed to the NFL that the CFL become strictly a NFL feeder league.
Where players can move up and down during the season, at the NFL's whim.
If this happens, I know I will quit watching.
Then again knowing Naylor, this story is probably a figment of his warped imagination.
Then again if Cohon doesn't deny it, there might be something to it.
I'd rather the league go down fighting then begging on its knees.
HOw sad with the CFL season starting this is what we have to read.

[url=http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080605.wspt-cfl05/GSStory/GlobeSports/home]http://www.globesports.com/servlet/stor ... ports/home[/url]

It seems to say that the CFL proposed the equity idea, but it doesn't come out and say that they proposed the CFL become a D-League. That was probably one of the "brilliant" ideas that the brain-trust at the NFL came up with.

I don't believe Cohon would have any part of a D-League agreement. Most likely the NFL was trying to low-ball us and Cohon wants to send the message that we're not the same flat-broke league that came begging in 1997. The teams are making money, stadiums are being renovated and built, and there's some politicians willing to fight for the cause.

Hopefully the NFL will be more reasonable the next time they meet with Cohon.

I don't know dmont.
When I read things like NFL taking equity position, and developmental league, it turns my stomach. Americanized rules are just around the corner.

What I find funny is the Americans are barring more Canadian teams from joining the NHL. At the same time they're trying to kill the CFL. I mean with friends like that, who needs enemies?

I think it was a brilliant idea to ask the NFL that the CFL be a developmental league. Why? Because if they say yes, then a real partnership could grow between the leagues, obviously, with an agreement like this, and it says up front the NFL wants the CFL to be successful. Sure, the CFL might lose some things like maybe less mandatory Canadian positions but in the end, a working agreement would be reached. And, if they say no, well the CFL comes out looking sweet because they can say they asked the NFL to be very involved even to the point of being a developmental league of sorts and the NFL said no thanks. So the NFL looks bullyish in this sense that they almost want the CFL to die, especially in Toronto, so they can get a team in that market.

Very smart move by Cohon et al IMHO. I will say though that without more specifics, it’s a difficult call for us to really judge what’s actually going on.

And let’s face it guys, if you love your football, even if the CFL is a developmental league of sorts, are you actually going to say I’m not watching my team any more? Not this guy, I love football in Canada way too much to be like that.

What happened in 1996 ??? why did so manyteams go broke that year???

I wrote in the other Cohon thread before this article came out that Cohon probably walked away because the NFL wanted to turn the CFL into the new NFL Europa.

Naylor in his article says it was Cohon that proposed this to the NFL? I find that hard to believe. Especially considering Naylors pro-NFL bias, I think he's twisting the facts to make the cFL look bad. As usual.

In my humble opinion, it wouldn't make sense for Cohon to go begging to the NFL. Attendacne and TV ratings are up. Interest is up. Expansion is in the future. TV money is coming in.

So why as Naylor writes with things going so well would Cohon need the NFL to take over his league? Doesn't make sense. Looks like another Naylor hatchet job on the CFL.

It's more likely the NFL wanted to have players become available after the CFL season is finished instead of waiting for the next year.

berezin, if your theory is true that Naylor wants to make Cohon/CFL look bad begging to the NFL to be a development league of sorts, I think this strategy backfired on Naylor then, in my view. I see Cohon as suggesting to get an agreement done and using the word developmental could mean all sorts of things especially when talking contracts and players moving from one league to another. Cohon comes out looking good for wanting an agreement but the NFL is playing hardball. Naylor may, I don't know, be thinking the word developmental makes Cohon look bad and the CFL rather than concentrating on the agreement aspect but this didn't work for him if this was the case, to me anyways. If Naylor wanted to make the CFL look desperate, then he really missed the mark here when anyone who follows football at all knows the CFL is in much better shape today than it's been in a long time.

Here is the writers email-DNaylor@globeandmail.com He is in Godfry,s back pocket IMO

I don't doubt for a second that he is in Mr. Godfrey's back pocket. The effect he has isn't that great, one way or the other I don't think, as a writer for a newspaper.

Earl, Winnipeg had the Jets and packed the stadium. Now we have the Moose and in spite of producing an excellent product and having a decent level of success, the support isn't there. Why? Because it is a developmental team. The players who have the biggest popularity in the city are the ones who round out the roster and have little or no chance to move up to Vancouver. Why? Because they chose to be in Winnipeg. The developmental players are only here until Vancouver needs them.

The CFL being a developmental league may not affect your decision as to whether or not to watch but it would definitely affect a lot of fans, especially in the west (not so sure about the east).

Some one should ask Naylor if the Globe and Mail is a developmental Newspaper for the New York Times. :lol: :lol:

There really isn't much in this article to get excited about.

We need to let this play out. These negotiations will go on for a long time to come. This is just a lot of posturing and oneupmanship.

[b]Earl, Winnipeg had the Jets and packed the stadium. Now we have the Moose and in spite of producing an excellent product and having a decent level of success, the support isn't there. Why? Because it is a developmental team. The players who have the biggest popularity in the city are the ones who round out the roster and have little or no chance to move up to Vancouver. Why? Because they chose to be in Winnipeg. The developmental players are only here until Vancouver needs them.

The CFL being a developmental league may not affect your decision as to whether or not to watch but it would definitely affect a lot of fans, especially in the west (not so sure about the east).[/b]

BigU, I know what you're saying and see your point and I think you raise valid concerns. I probably am underestimating the effect that a true "developmental" tag placed on the CFL could have, a negative impact as you say. I guess I just get upset because I don't like thinking that Roger, Godfrey, Tanenbaum etc. would get their way if this tag did get into effect and was so detrimental that it affected the Argos and then maybe the entire league and they get their NFL team with no strings attached. That would bug the living pis* out of me I'll admit, so I don't want to let them or anyone think that if this happened that it would matter.

But I think, looking accurately at it and realistically, you are probably right. :frowning:

I give Naylor and Brunt a hard time all the time for their negative coverage of the CFL. Unfortunatley, they don't realize that they cater to a blind minority of Canadians who dislike their own country and love all things American. Can you imagine the sports writers of any major US newspaper slagging the NFL to the exent that Naylor and Brunt slag the CFL? They would be blacklisted! Write Naylor and Brunt and give them a piece of your mind. At this time of year they should be writing about the upcoming season. And for what its worth, the CFL should NEVER be a developmental league. I've got my tickets to the Grey Cup and I will watch just about every game this season. Go Argos! :cowboy:

I'm going to all the TiCats games and the Grey Cup this year and watch about every game on TV I can which is most. But I think Naylor's and Brunt's role are not to cover the actual games and league and players but rather to create controversies and discussion about broader issues. I think this is what they are hired to do and they let others do the regular type coverage.

Agree look at the source David (nothing good to say about the CFL) Naylor and his partner in crime the once great and pro CFL writer but now a chearleeder for the NFL, Stephen Brunt.
In fact, Naylor makes Marty York look like a Pulizer Prize writer.

The Globe is owned by the same company which owns CTV, which has paid big money for the NFL TV rights. These companies are controlled by Ted Rogers who is promoting the Bills in Toronto and the NCAA International Bowl. His partner is MLSE, which controls BMO stadium and deliberately poured the concrete for the grandstand so close, no Canadian football (High School, CIS or CFL) game can ever be played at the city-owned stadium without major renovations...much to the surprise of the Mayor.

Brunt and Naylor are just mouthpeices for Rogers. They have published a on-going series of acid-penned articles trying to discredit the CFL over the past few years. Yes, sometimes the CFL is an easy target of ridicule, but we must look at who is writing these negative CFL articles and what is their purpose?

Obviously, the Argos and the CFL are stumbling blocks for an NFL team to capture the hearts of Toronto football fans. In poll after poll the CFL comes out on top over the NFL in Canada. The CFL's TV ratings destroy the NFL on Sunday, which reduces Roger's profit margin. If you eliminate the CFL competition, many of these football fans will watch the NFL on Sunday's instead, which means more millions for Ted.

Direct your emotions towards the right parties, folks

Cohon wouldn't present proposals unless
the governors agreed to put them forward.

Cohon acts at the direction of
of the league's board of governors.

The tail doesn't wag the dog.

Talks about a new working agreement between the CFL and NFL

included proposals from the Canadian league

that the NFL take an equity position in the CFL

and that the three-down league might
take on
a player-development role,

much like that of the now-defunct NFL Europe.

Fear mongering by Naylor, nothing more. Suggesting that once the Bills relocate to TO that the only chance the CFL will have to survive is by becoming a feeder league funded by the NFL.

I wonder why he didn't mention that the Government could block such a move from ever occurring ? Oh right, that would just solve the whole issue.