Candidates for our new Defensive Co-ordincator ?

Since the man himself nor anyone in an actual position of power accross the league to hire him , for almost two years now, has publically expressed any interest in him returning to football lets forget Stubler. Shall we?

Nelson is a solid hire if Marshall leaves for Tor.

I wonder how long it will be before Dennis McPhee makes the leap back into the CFL from university ball.

Anyone think he will?

here's a pretty in depth bio:

[url=http://imprint.uwaterloo.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1347&issuedate=2007-03-30]http://imprint.uwaterloo.ca/index.php?o ... 2007-03-30[/url]

thats my choice also. dennis has a good gig now but would return as a coordinator. he coached with sudsy for years.talk to any players he coached and you’ll get great reviews. better yet ask coach killer kd williams what he thinks of dennis. :wink:
but i feel the best is marshall and he’ll say thanks but no thanks to the blue team.

dennis mcphee...he brings what alot of hamiltonians loved...a bit of sudsy and he's from here.a tiger-cat sown to the bone...think about it.

stewy

When it comes to finding coaches or players our man Obie is by far the best person in the CFL for that. He has a giant network of football people on his side out there. The man must have 30 rolodexes.

As long as this team has Obie all will be well.

Well, I think I’d rank Jim Popp ahead of him, but point well taken nevertheless.

Here's an interesting note -- the Bombers' fan site says WPG has now asked SSK for permission to talk to Kavis Reed as a DC candidate under LaPolice.

Popp is good but doesn’t have the extensive experience of Obie and I’m sure also has less people to call for help. If you look at Obies history as a coach or any of the many personnel jobs he has had he has always been able to improve teams in short times.

Even though our 08 team (Obies first work here) was only 3-15 they were far better than the 3-15 07 team. Then in 09 the team tripled it’s win total with 9-9 and it could have easily been a 12-6 season.

Is LaPolice suicidal?

I think that overall Reed is a good DC. His main problem is that his mistakes always seem to be huge. ie. Grey Cup result changing mistakes plus many other boneheaded foul ups.

There have been times in his career in Hamilton and Tor/Sask where his D was pretty great but also many where it was down right awful. You have to be cautious of a guy whose foul ups always seem to be so big. Almost like he has bad karma.

it is interesting for 2 reasons…# 1, because
CFL fans in general have a low opinion of Kavis

for various reasons…which I relate to the fact that

he has usually been on the coaching staff of losing teams.

The # 2 reason it is interesting is because

Paul LaPolice, a 10 year CFL veteran coach
who has worked with Kavis on several teams

may want Kavis as his Defensive Co-ordinator.

Paul LaPolice recognizes Kavis for what he is,
a smart football mind and a great teacher/coach.

"Paul LaPolice recognizes Kavis for what he is,
a smart football mind and a great teacher/coach."

Agreed.

If I could give Kavis Reed a nicname, it would be "professor". He's an interesting guy to sit down with and just listen to whether it's about football or life in general.

I say G.M! as aparently the argonots have a head coach now :slight_smile:

Kavis Reed isnt popular with fans because whatever his style, tactics, ideas or philosphies are dont translate to tangibly positive results and in every team he’s coached, as recently as the last GC, they have somehow translated into poor performances.

The fact he has bounced around from D. coordinator to assistant to ST says alot too.

He’s popular person with peers and players alike which is why he probably keeps getting hired but the jury is still very much out on how good a coach he is.

Very true Zontar. As a DC in Hamilton, as a DC in Toronto, and as STC in Saskatchewan, he didn't exactly cover himself in glory.

Now you can give excuses/explanations for each of those (such as blaming the personnel), but the fact remains that he hasn't been successful in those roles in those places.

Is it all because of him? Probably not. Is none of the fault his responsibility? Again, probably not.