Canadian Sports TV ratings

I'm a huge sports fans of many teams and leagues including of course the CFL and Ti-Cats. Personally I always find it interesting to check out TV ratings after each weekend to see how many viewers each sports event or game attracts the most viewers that weekend - and seeing trends as they develop. During the CFL season I'm always interested to see which of the games that weekend attracted the most viewers and how many and how those numbers compared to other sports on TV that weekend. And at a time like this - off season for the CFL - how ratings for other sports compare to the usually very strong CFL ratings. Unfortunately sometimes it is difficult to find out these ratings as they are not consistently published weekly. When I find them though I'll post them in this thread.

Just so you know them for comparison purposes the typical regular season CFL game attracts between 500,000 - 1,000,000 viewers averaging over 700,000, Division semi-finals - 1.4 - 1.7 million, division finals 1.7 - 1.9 million and 4.5 million for the Grey Cup. So numbers like that show just how strong the numbers for the league are compared to so many other sports out there - as even regular season games would be in the Top 5 or 6 this past weekend.

Note these are ratings for Friday night through Monday only and do not include any midweek games. Here is the scoop for last weekend.

[url=http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/great-canadian-ratings-report-nfl-championship-game-breaks-161849296.html]http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-gam ... 49296.html[/url]
  1. NFL, 49ers at Seahawks, Sunday, CTV: 2,664,000
  2. NHL, Canadiens at Leafs, Saturday, CBC: 2,439,000
  3. NFL, Patriots at Broncos, Sunday, CTV: 2,219,000
  4. NHL, Flames at Canucks, Saturday, CBC: 1,378,000
  5. NHL, Rangers-Sens/Oilers-Jets, Saturday, CBC: 926,000
  6. Curling, Continental Cup skins (afternoon), Sunday, TSN: 435,000
  7. Curling, Continental Cup women's (afternoon), Saturday, TSN: 431,000
  8. Tennis, Australian Open women's quarterfinal, Monday, TSN: 406,000
  9. Curling, Continental Cup skins (evening), Sunday, TSN: 381,000
  10. NHL, Hockey Day in Canada (late), Saturday, CBC: 359,000
  11. Curling, Continental Cup mixed doubles, Saturday, TSN: 353,000
  12. Curling, Continetal Cup men's, Saturday, TSN: 344,000
  13. Curling, Continental Cup men's, Friday, TSN: 293,000
  14. Soccer, Man U at Chelsea, Sunday, TSN: 290,000
  15. Curling, Continental Cup, singles, Friday, TSN: 268,000
  16. NBA, Lakers at Raptors, Sunday, TSN: 247,000
  17. NBA, T-Wolves at Raptors, Friday, TSN: 247,000
  18. Curling, Continental Cup women's, Friday, TSN: 202,000
  19. NHL, Hockey Day in Canada (early), Saturday, CBC: 201,000
  20. Soccer, Aston Villa at Liverpool, Saturday, Sportsnet: 196,000

Numbers that jump out at me from those - other than the huge numbers for the first three are #'s 8, 14 and 16/17.

8 - great to see Genie Bouchard attract great numbers for her run to the semi-finals in the Aussie Open - should be boffo ratings Wednesday night at 9:30PM for the semi-final against Li Na,

14 - pretty solid number for a Sunday morning soccer game

#16/17 - much better numbers for the Raptors now that their record is improving as of late - but still only about 1/3 of most Argos regular season games.

It's sad that some CFL games are not shown on the full CTV network like many NFL games. For people who have pulled the plug on cable (growing number) or do not have TSN as part of a basic cable package, this can be a fairly substantial number of people not having TSN available and whose only football exposure on "free tv" is NFL. That's not right in our own country.

I don't care for the NFL but with my rabbit ears I get a beautiful HD picture on CTV, just wish I could see an occasional CFL game that way instead of the TSN VOD which used to work great until TSN starting screwing around with it.

Note to caretaker, lobby for Grey Cup simulcast on CTV and put an end to the recent trend of the Super Bore out rating the GC.

The CFL on TSN is about the only or the main reason I keep my cable to be honest.

No it doesn’t make any difference that it’s on TSN or CTV. The CFL would not get any more viewers if it’s games were on CTV. The stats are 95% of Canadians have access to TSN, if you watch sports you will get TSN, if you don’t subscribe to TSN you aren NOT going to watch hockey or football if it’s on CTV or CBC.
You only have to BBM ratings and look at past NHL playoff ratings on TSN, they only had the Wednesday night games and the early rounds but their ratings were not that far behind the CBC which had all the rounds and followed the Canadian teams to the end.
TSN has built up a strong following and have done a good job at raising CFL ratings. If you are one of the few that don’t get TSN and want to watch on an aerial you are going to make zero difference to the ratings.

What of these 8 percent could obtain CTV free over the air and could that have impact on numbers watching the CFL? :?

Canadian TV 'cord cutters' reach 8 per cent of population: poll..

[url=http://www.theglobeandmail.com/technology/business-technology/canadian-tv-cord-cutters-reach-8-per-cent-of-population-poll/article10717353/]http://www.theglobeandmail.com/technolo ... e10717353/[/url] [i](April 2013)[/i]

I agree that having the CFL on an over-the-air channel vs. cable-only TSN would not have a significant impact on the ratings. But to say that everyone who watches sports in Canada has TSN is not true. Charukfan, for one. And he's not the first person on these forums that has said this. Whether it's because they can't afford the extra dollars, or because they have chosen not to spend those extra dollars for the one or two additional channels that they actually want (vs. the hundreds of other channels that are bundled in with them) doesn't matter.

The point is that if someone is unable or unwilling to spend money to get TSN, he won't be able to watch any CFL games, but can watch a ton of NFL games. Granted, that's a small number of people, which is why CTV won't care. Or maybe it's a marketing thing to get those people to switch from Rogers to Bell, given that TSN is in Bell's basic cable package but not in Rogers', and CTV is owned by Bell.

It'll be interesting now that Shaw in Hamilton, which I am with, is owned by Rogers. I do receive TSN as part of the basic package, not TSN2, and receive both Sportsnet and Sporstnet1 (or Ontario whatever it's called) as part of the basic package. Will Rogers cut out TSN from this basic package? That'll be interesting if they do that and I won't be impressed.

It certainly does make a difference, having access to something and actually having it are two different things. I live about 50 feet from a liquor store but I don't drink.

By hook or by crook I can watch every program I want to see via Internet, so why pay an extra bill for cable, when I don't really have the time for that either.

Do I understand you correctly that if I don't subscribe to TSN I won't watch hockey or football? Let me introduce you to cbc.ca live streaming. I was actually watching a Leafs game via a crappy web stream then remembered halfway through that cbc has a great live stream. Also if I didn't live in one of the few rare areas where they cut English language CBC service I could watch it OTA.

You should do some reading on the subject. People like me cutting the cord are growing at a pretty good clip

mikem wrote: The stats are 95% of Canadians have access to TSN, if you watch sports you will get TSN, if you don't subscribe to TSN you aren NOT going to watch hockey or football if it's on CTV or CBC.[/size]
I seriously doubt 95% of Canadians still subscribe to TSN today. (if ever) Cable subscriptions are down substantially in the last 2-3 years and are rapidly shrinking even further as we speak.

Many friends/family members of mine have cut the chord recently lamenting the extortion tactics used by cable providers that force the consumer to purchase packages without the ability to select singularly preferred channels.

and a good majority of these friends do watch NFL/NHL games on Network TV while catching CFL games online whenever possible.
I've contemplated doing the same, although am exercising trepidation as streaming sites that do carry CFL games are unlicensed or non-sanctioned and may not be a dependable source at some point.

Rogers is looking at launching it's own on-demand streaming division although will likely not offer CFL content without a prominent financial stake in the broadcast rights, as per Bell/TSN.

What these numbers tell me is that there are roughly 200 000 tv sets where the dial does not move from TSN. Everything above that is your actual draw.

Source ????

Because I can tell you that the number is not 95%, it's closer to 75%. CTV, CBC, and Global are available in about 3 million more homes compared to TSN.

Really getting tired of your blatant lies on here.

Having access to TSN merely means that you live in an area where you could subscribe to it on cable if you choose to do so.

That does not mean at all that 95% of Canadians do in fact have cable and choose to subscribe to TSN.

Those are two entirely different things.

At our cottage, where I spend almost as much time as in our city house,and a good deal of that is during the CFL season, we do not have cable at all. In fact there is no cable available in the area. So I don't get TSN there and can't watch the CFL. I used to, when it was on CBC.

Aside from the "dodgy" Internet rebroadcast streams of CFL games, you can legally watch TSN VOD for free. They usually have the games posted about an hour or two after the conclusion. It used to work really well but TSN screwed around with the servers and it's not as good as it used to be. Might have a bit to do with my ad blocking in Firefox.

If anybody is reading this who wants to get greedy and further monetize this service (hello TSN et al), I don't mind seeing your commercials but if you try and charge for it, I'm outta there. That's what we cord cutters do.

It is true more and more people seem to be cutting the cord but as of the start of the year TSN's penetration was still 85% in Canada. Among my friends though those first chord cutters are predominantly among friends who aren't sports fans. I've had all kinds of friends look into it and those that go ahead and make the cut tend to be those who aren't really sports fans.

Among my friends we have had this discussion a lot and once the sports fans among us realize cutting the chord means no soccer, no Jays games, no CFL, no tennis, no midweek hockey games etc. etc. - our chords remain intact. lol. I've had a couple of friends cut the chord and re-connect within weeks.

So us sports fan types - if we had the chord - we for the most part are not cutting it. Live sports is about the only thing these days that people go out of their way to see live. All other programming if you watch it online the next day or a week later - it doesn't really matter. But even with non sports programs you are seeing some networks restricting some of their online streaming to their GO Apps and things like that of their regular programs and tying those GO Apps into their cable or digital subscription services - and with almost everything we do becoming mobile and the mobile companies are dominated by the cable companies I figure they are somehow keep us attached to their services - maybe even through mobile technology in the future. That seems to be the way it is going with all the 'Watch your TV anywhere' type services.

That's why rights to sports are going through the roof because it is content Rogers and Bell need to generate revenue and drive subscribers to their services. Look for there to be tighter and tighter restrictions on non-subscribed live streaming of games as technology to better control access improves. (Much like when tons of people up here used to illegally get their TV through DirectTV satellite until during the Super Bowl DirectTV (when they knew a lot of illegal viewers would be watching) they sent out some sort of digital jamming signal that permanently disabled any dish that wasn't a current subscriber to their services.

One main reason for sports being desired live is because knowing the outcome of a game takes away from the viewing experience - and in this wired world it is almost impossible to avoid hearing the result in advance - so other than when something is happening while we are sleeping - like some of the Aussie Open the past few days or when we have something else we could not re-schedule - we watch things live. How many Canadians are going to find a way to slip out of work to catch the men's hockey games live in Sochi which their first two games at least are at Noon our time on weekdays.

Pvr'ing games can be tricky trying to avoid hearing an outcome in advance. For one thing many of us follow our favourite teams or leagues in twitter or facebook and those send out messages to you all the time with outcomes of live games. For example I pvr'd the Federer - Murray match overnight but made the mistake of opening my Facebook page this morning and the first message from a friend is 'Fed is rolling!' so I know Federer beat Murray and now I probably won't even bother watching it. Same thing happened the other night as I was watching the Bouchard tennis match and pvr'd the Leafs and got a tweet from The Score with subject line Leafs make it five in a row! Oops - knew I shouldn't have looked at my Blackberry. lol

So for Bell it makes sense for them to keep the CFL on TSN to drive subscriptions to services that either Bell owns or get fees paid to them when we buy those subscriptions through others like Rogers.

Yup 95% access is way too high.

Sports networks strive to combat shift to online consumption

TSN and Sportsnet combined for about $500-million in revenue last year, and pulled in $55-million in profits. As viewers turn away from paid TV in bigger numbers, the stations and their owners (TSN is owned by BCE Inc. subsidiary Bell Media; Sportsnet is owned by Rogers Communications Inc. subsidiary Rogers Media Inc.) are looking to their sports holdings to keep subscribers from cutting the cord.

There are 12 million households in Canada that have traditional TV subscriptions, but the pace of growth has slowed and the numbers are expected to start falling off in the next year as more turn to options such as Netflix Inc, an on-demand Internet streaming media provider.

TSN has about 9.1 million subscribers paying for its channel, according to the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission, while the main Sportsnet channel has 8.8 million.

But sports TV executives hope their niche is immune to the shift toward online consumption.

true Charukfan, but the main problem with TSN VOD is that it is not broadcast in real time. :frowning:

You guys can't be looking too hard. Sports is one of the easiest things to find. I can't tell you some of the obscure poop I've been able to find.

Tell you the truth I can't think of one event I wanted to watch that I couldn't, especially international soccer. I have been watching NBCSN's Sunday Night Football occasionally just to play with the multiple camera angles and good quality picture.

Personally, I think having to wait about an hour or two is a worthwhile sacrifice to make for getting it free (or even watching their commercials)

I have always found that the picture on most live streaming is not nearly as crisp and sharp as the HD TV signal - especially once trying to watch on a big screen. And I really do appreciate how good watching sports in HD on a big 42" (or bigger) screen is. My Mom has a 42" TV but doesn't get HD cable just regular cable and even watching sports when I'm at her place loses something to me because of the lesser picture quality - and even that is still much better than most live streams I've ever tried to watch - which at times can look slightly blurry or 'digitized' if you know what I mean by that.

Definately, the only CFL games I saw this year in HD were the playoffs on NBCSN. We spent the summer travelling and I had to watch live streaming or the TSN VOD. Not the best but it's like a throwback to the days before HD and 1080