I'm a huge sports fans of many teams and leagues including of course the CFL and Ti-Cats. Personally I always find it interesting to check out TV ratings after each weekend to see how many viewers each sports event or game attracts the most viewers that weekend - and seeing trends as they develop. During the CFL season I'm always interested to see which of the games that weekend attracted the most viewers and how many and how those numbers compared to other sports on TV that weekend. And at a time like this - off season for the CFL - how ratings for other sports compare to the usually very strong CFL ratings. Unfortunately sometimes it is difficult to find out these ratings as they are not consistently published weekly. When I find them though I'll post them in this thread.
Just so you know them for comparison purposes the typical regular season CFL game attracts between 500,000 - 1,000,000 viewers averaging over 700,000, Division semi-finals - 1.4 - 1.7 million, division finals 1.7 - 1.9 million and 4.5 million for the Grey Cup. So numbers like that show just how strong the numbers for the league are compared to so many other sports out there - as even regular season games would be in the Top 5 or 6 this past weekend.
Note these are ratings for Friday night through Monday only and do not include any midweek games. Here is the scoop for last weekend.[url=http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/great-canadian-ratings-report-nfl-championship-game-breaks-161849296.html]http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-gam ... 49296.html[/url]
- NFL, 49ers at Seahawks, Sunday, CTV: 2,664,000
- NHL, Canadiens at Leafs, Saturday, CBC: 2,439,000
- NFL, Patriots at Broncos, Sunday, CTV: 2,219,000
- NHL, Flames at Canucks, Saturday, CBC: 1,378,000
- NHL, Rangers-Sens/Oilers-Jets, Saturday, CBC: 926,000
- Curling, Continental Cup skins (afternoon), Sunday, TSN: 435,000
- Curling, Continental Cup women's (afternoon), Saturday, TSN: 431,000
- Tennis, Australian Open women's quarterfinal, Monday, TSN: 406,000
- Curling, Continental Cup skins (evening), Sunday, TSN: 381,000
- NHL, Hockey Day in Canada (late), Saturday, CBC: 359,000
- Curling, Continental Cup mixed doubles, Saturday, TSN: 353,000
- Curling, Continetal Cup men's, Saturday, TSN: 344,000
- Curling, Continental Cup men's, Friday, TSN: 293,000
- Soccer, Man U at Chelsea, Sunday, TSN: 290,000
- Curling, Continental Cup, singles, Friday, TSN: 268,000
- NBA, Lakers at Raptors, Sunday, TSN: 247,000
- NBA, T-Wolves at Raptors, Friday, TSN: 247,000
- Curling, Continental Cup women's, Friday, TSN: 202,000
- NHL, Hockey Day in Canada (early), Saturday, CBC: 201,000
- Soccer, Aston Villa at Liverpool, Saturday, Sportsnet: 196,000
Numbers that jump out at me from those - other than the huge numbers for the first three are #'s 8, 14 and 16/17.
8 - great to see Genie Bouchard attract great numbers for her run to the semi-finals in the Aussie Open - should be boffo ratings Wednesday night at 9:30PM for the semi-final against Li Na,
14 - pretty solid number for a Sunday morning soccer game
#16/17 - much better numbers for the Raptors now that their record is improving as of late - but still only about 1/3 of most Argos regular season games.