Canadian Quarterbacks

It's high-time each Canadian Football League team had one Canadian quarterback on the roster. We have a plethora of fine College-level and Junior QBs in this country. All they need is the opportunity to train with a professional football team. Now that the League seems to have found its footing, isn't it time for the FANS to put some pressure on the League in this regard? Comments?

Good idea. I'm always amazed at the analysts and coaches that say the Canadian QB's haven't had the coaching so they need too much time invested to become a pro. But then they'll turn around and say some kid from the US deserves patience and time (sometimes 4 to 5 years) to really learn the Canadian game and get used to the field. Why is investing time in American QB's okay but not investing time in Canadian QB's.

They will need to add a roster spot to make room for the Canadian QB and add a few more dollars to the SMS to make this a reality.

Oh oh oh AND we should start an online petition to get a CFL video game while were retreading poorly thought out ideas that are impracticle and pointless

This stupid idea comes up every single season canadian QBs are not a necessity. The QB position is so critically important to the success of a team that no coach would play a QB based on his country of origin. American players are bred into playing football and will naturally be better than their canadian counterparts. Given the importance of the skill of the QB forcing teams to have a canadian will just lead to him watching the ameircan backup holding the clip board hoping he gets a splinter so he can touch it

I could likely list at least 100 quarterbacks that were brought up as "potential future stars" that did nothing and yet the Canadians never even got looked at.

Unfortunately, the mindset is that Canadians CAN'T play the QB position and yet how often have any even gotten a chance. Much like Canadians CAN'T play running back. CFL teams will keep an American on the roster for years without playing him but not do the same for a Canadian.

Do you seriously think the third-stringer the Stamps put in last night is better able to succeed in the CFL than the top college QB to come out of the CIS in the past three or four years?

I agree. Every team should have a fourth string Canadian QB (that doesn't count against the cap).

Much like Canadians CAN'T play running back.
I think the problem is that most Canadian RBs are white and there is a stigma against that. A white Canadian RB has to be a superstar like Jesse Lumsden to even get a chance.

They should make tell all the teams that in 5 years all teams will be required to have at least 1 Canadian QB on their roster. That would give teams some time to do some scouting and help the CIS QBs develop.

Where do you get this from? I have no doubt that if there was 2 quarterbacks of equal talent, and one was canadian, the canadian qould be snapped up instantly. Save an import slot and get a QB, what coach wouldn't.

I do think that 3rd stringer (Nealy) the Stamps had in is better than the top CIS QBs. It's sad, but it's true. Check his stats.

[url=http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=roster&func=display&ros_id=925]http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=rost ... ros_id=925[/url]

Our football program in Canada is just nowhere near what they hae in the states, and QB is a position that takes years of quality coaching to reach full potential. I think the reason why you see no canadian QBs, and lots of RBs and WRs is because those 2 positions are not highly dependant on coaching, and it levels the playing field a little bit.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see more canadian kids, at all positions in the CFL, but its not going to happen at QB.

Im wondering mada, does the name Jamie Bone ring a bell? He was a highly touted QB, but was never given a chance to show if he could have become a great QB in this league. It is debateable wether or not he would have succeeded, but he should have been at least given the chance to either sink or swim. I wonder what if the Ottawa Rough Riders did the same thing a young Canadian kid by the name of Russ Jackson?

Do you seriously think the third-stringer the Stamps put in last night is better able to succeed in the CFL than the top college QB to come out of the CIS in the past three or four years?
[/quote]
If the rules were changed to say that teams could have 20 Canadans and 22 Americans with no special allowances for QB’s, then we would see some Canadian QB’s in the league. Right now there is no advantage to having a Canadian QB as far as the ratio is concerned as he would be just one of three QB’s allowed on the roster.

In a word, yes.

The american coaching and developement program is far and away better than the canadian one and given the amount of coaching, developement, and raw talent that none of the QBs in the CIS have had at least not on the level that the NCAA QBs have had

Where do you get this from? I have no doubt that if there was 2 quarterbacks of equal talent, and one was canadian, the canadian qould be snapped up instantly. Save an import slot and get a QB, what coach wouldn't.
I'm going to start here and move on. The way the roster is set today, it does not matter if a QB is an import or Canadian. The designation of a player as a "quarterback is the aspect involved, so no gain is made regarding the ratio. Slight chance I'm incorrect about that, especially as they change the darned import rules every year, but I'll go with that....

Regarding a developmental spot for a Canadian QB, I am not real concerned, but wouldn't oppose it either.
The problem is, most kids coming out of CIS simply have not had the coaching or competition that the kids in the NCAA have gotten.
So they are behind.
Now as someone points out, many/most of the American kids coming up take several years to groom before they can play.
So any CIS star will need several more years to develop.
But some actual playing time is needed in the process.
If you play the Canadian kid, he is going to get eaten alive.
If you don't play him, he develops even more slowly.
A football player's career is measured in years, not decades, so time is short.
If you are a coach, and it takes you 5 years to get a player to the point you might consider him as a 3rd stringer, so a kid who is now pushing 30, or you have a kid at age 22-23 coming up fresh out of college,who is instantly at the same level who will you play?

Developing Canadian QBs assuggested is a Catch-22 situation.
You might get a starter periodically, but the odds of getting a significant number are slight.
That doesn't mean it isn't worth the effort, but it is a lot of effort versus the potential results...

You are correct.
QB's do not count towards the ratio

In a word, yes.

But even worse news for any potential Canadian QBs out there is, if a Nealy can't cut it, the Stamps can fill a 747 full of guys from the States and have them in town next week that might.
There are a handful, tops, of Canadian QBs available each year from the CIS.

A lot of Canadian QB's played in the past and didn't get eaten alive. It was also in the era where the CFL teams were signing number 1 NFL draft choices.
If you can "play" you can play with anybody you just have to be given the chance.
I admit it would be difficult to find 8 or 9 Canadian QB's all at once now who can "play". But if they hadn't changed the rules some of the Canadian QB's would have been playing 10-12 years and the demand wouldn't be as high for new ones every year.

I would love to see the list of "a lot of Canadian QBs" that have played in the CFL.
If you can name 5 guys in the last 40 years who have played, let alone started, I'll be impressed
The only #1 NFL pick I can think of that was signed right out of college was Tom Cousineau.
I think maybe Dave Syme was maybe still hanging around as one of the few, if not only Canadian QBs in the league.

Ball's in your court....

Actually I like the Idea of just making it so QBs don't get any special treatment in regards to the ratio. Then having a Canadian QB would actually be useful. You probably couldn't find enough to play on every team but you'll get one every couple of years who could certainly make it, and it would be advantageous for a CFL team to pick him up.

Not to mention that if a Cdn QB was starting for a team, he'd be the most marketable guy in the CFL. $$$

CFL rules are fair and allow Coaches freedom to recruit Canadian quarterbacks. But they don't because their job is to assemble the best team possible. Insisting on Canadians at one position may not improve the product.

A tremendous natural athlete DOES NOT necessarily make a great even good quarterback!!!!!!!!!!! Quarterbacks need smarts, intuition and leadership skills to be successful. Too often these aspects are overlooked and natural athletic ability is the only thing looked at.

ahmen