Canadian Quarterbacks Future

The CFL has already taken the 1st step into developing Canadian QBs by allowing them to be non counters for the training camp roster and by mandating that each team invites at least one QB to camp that is not eligible this season.
The next step is on the Canadian QBs themselves. Trevor Harris a NCAA Division II QB, a similar level to the CIS did not wait for any special rules. He was a finalist for the Harlon Hill Trophy the equivalent to the HEC crighton trophy in the CIS. He went out and got into the new version of the arena football league where he got reps and improved his play against players of better competition. granted the Arena Legues talent is no longer of a professional level but it is a true minor league with many players just out of University looking for a place to play while honing their skills.
The CIS QBs that are entering their 5th season would be wise to do the same. It is a spring league and they allow players to leave the league if they get an offer from a CFL or NFL team.
The final step will have to come at the next CBA. The CFLPA will need to put on the table that teams add an 8th practice squad spot designated for Canadian QBs.
From their it will be up to the player himself to earn a roster spot as there now will be a place for every franchise to groom a Canadian QB. He shall have the same rule as other practice squad players in that if the teams practice squad he is on does not want to sign him to the 46 man roster another team can do so. This will open 9 and hopefully 10 spots in the CFL for Canadian QBs and they can be signed by any of the 9 or 10 teams at any time to a 46 man roster.
That is as fair as it gets

It still means though that the intent is that these can and will play in the league. We don't want it to end up being 8 paper weights that never play and becomes a source of embarrassment.

Yes, I agree the QB position is too important to have a CIS player given a backup job without earning it

There are just too many QBs coming out of the NCAA, they have played at a much higher level than the CIS. The CIS QB has never faced a NCAA defense, they are bigger, faster and better coached.
A QB has to earn his job, the fact that Sinopoli made the Calgary Stampeders tells you that the guy has something, he can play at a higher level and he may start someday. If the CFL had to take a CIS QB, it would be an embarssment, there are not 8 or 9 good CIS QBs that could play at the CFL level. A QB like Sinopoli comes around once in awhile.

QUINLAN , also comes to mind.

as long as these players don't get the spot by default because of their nationality... then I'm fine with it.

As of right now, that will be the only way,they will gain a spot. The process of turning these kids in to bonified Pro QBS needs to start in high school and even earlier. Our QB,S are woefully inadequate when competing for jobs against American kids. The American kids are running pro offences in high school and are game ready when hit college and the pro,s .

Glad to see that there are those that see this the way i do. The CFL has made it a point to get teams to bring canadian QBs to camp. First they are to invite QBs that are not eligible for the CFL yet as many as they want but mandatory one. Next those who are eligible to play that season are non couter towards the training camp roster so they are able to invite free agent rookie or draft picks and not have them count will encourage more teams to do so. then return to the CIS for their 5th season if need be then come back the net camp and the team may keep one QB on an 8th practice roster spot designated esclusively for Canadian QBs.
There are always special rules for QBs. By adding an 8th practice roster spot they will be given a place to develop. Next season there are at least three that would earn the designated 8th PR spot if the rule where in affect. Quinlan, Graves, Yantz, all for sure. Mueller and Greene who ar still projected as FB would also be given on last ditch effort to prove they belong. They will find out witha whole season of practicing with the team. What eve happend to Danny Brannigan?
Sinopoli deserves a rostr spot but if he gets caught up in a jammed QB position like this year the Stamps could place him in that spot if needed and he would not have to be sent home. after 2013 when Ottawa Arrives that should open up space and Sinopoli would be on a roster for sure. Maybe even in Ottawa as I guess he would be a free agent after next season.
There will be a few new QBs that rise to the top of the CIS and enable to fill * designated Canadian QB PR spots.
I would still encourage these guys to take the Treveor Harris road and tey to catch on in the Arena league they have a nice set up and allow players to leave their teams if a Pro contract or tryout comes from the CFL or NFL. Look how good Trevor Harris played in Toronto to ear a spot.

I don't want a Canadian Kid taking the spot of a Quarterback that is better than him, only because he's a Canadian.

this Canadian Kid MUST earn his spot on the team. no free passes.

Ship your kid to Texas for 4 years and let him play High school ball down there. :smiley:

I agree 100% that is why I suggest that an 8th practice squad spot be designated to train a Canadian QB. He must earn a roster spot and this will not take a spot from anybody but will be a new space created for the league to develop Canadians at the QB position.
There is already a special rule in place for the roster where QBs do not count towards the Ratio for the best interest of the CFL. A place on the pracice roster for developing Canadian QBs would also be in the best interest of the CFL, it will not be taking a spot away from another QB that is better, and the roster spot would have to be earned.
After a year or two of practicing they will find if they have the potential or not. If not guys like Billy Greens and Marc Mueller would finally have to accept that moving to FB is best for them especially if they are replaced by another Canadian QB or not signed to that spot as well.
Also hitting the Arena circuit has helped quite a few players to earn CFL roster spots. Including NCAA DII player Trevor Harris of Toronto

I would still encourage these guys to take the Treveor Harris road and tey to catch on in the Arena league

Or the Northern Football Conference that Ontario has, another option.

Or the Alberta Football League, the NoFC's Western counterpart.

That is probably the best solution for the Canadian QBs the Arena league. They do seem to be waiting for a free pass of sorts. Since there are always special rules for QBs everywhere thats why I considered adding a developmental spot to the practice squad not the roster. This way he would not be taking anyones roster spot yet their would be a new place on the practice squad for Canadian QBs.
The CFL decided to create three roster spots for QBs that do not count to the ratio because it was in the best interest of the CFL.
The same would be said for creating an 8th practice roster position for the development of the Canadian QB. Developing Canadian QBs is in the best interest of the game.
I believe that the Arena League has a higher level of young talent. The reason I say that is that the CFL is using the Arena League a lot to find players. BC seems to have a pipeline going with the spokane shock for import players. I would not be surprised to possibily see Jordan Yantz playing there next spring before coming to Camp in Kamloops.
Winnipeg just signed a DL out of the arena league. He was an NFL prospect last year and went to the NFL combine. He was projected to be a highly tauted undrafted free agent but the lock out cost him the chance. He spent only a couple of weeks in the league to get in shape. Like his own little training camp.

JUST TO BE CLEAR TO EVERYONE THAT I AM NOT ASKING ROE THE CFL TO GIVE A CANADAIN QB A SPOT ON THE 46 MAN ROSTER. THE SPOT WOULD BE A NEWLY CREATED 8TH PRACTICE SQUAD SPOT. THERE ARE CURRENTLY 7 PRACTICE SQUAD SPOTS. SINCE THERE IS A SPECIAL RULE THAT DOES NOT INCLUDE THE QB POSITION PART OF THE RATIO THE NEW 8TH PRACTCE SQUAD SPOT WOULD BE A PLACE WHERE A TEAM CAN RESERVE A PRACTICE SQUAD SPOT FOR A CANADIAN QB, NOT A 46 MAN ROSTER SPOT. JUST PRACTICE SPOT. HERE HE CAN PRACTICE WITH THE TEAM DURING THE SEASON AGAINST BETER PLAYERS WHEN OR IF ANY TEAM DECIDES THAT ONE OF THESE QBS IS GOOD ENOUGH TO BE ADDED TO A ROSTER THEY CNA SIGN THAT PLAYER OFF OF ANY TEAMS PRACTICE SQUAD.
BY NOT MAKING THE QB POSITION PART OF THE RATIO WAS DONE IN THE BEST INTEREST OF THE CFL. BY ADDING A DEVELOPMENTAL 8TH PRACTICE SQUAD SPOT IT WOULD ALSO BE IN THE BEST INTEREST OF THE CFL BY GIVING CANADAIN QB A CHANCE TO PRACTICE AGAINST STARTES WITH THE SCOUT TEAM FOR INSTANCE. HE MAY OR MAY NEVER SEE A 46 MAN ROSTER AND A TEAM CAN MOVE ONTO ANOTHER PROSPECT AT ANY TIME. GIVING THEM A PLACE TO DEVELOP IS IN THE BEST INTEREST OF THE CFL AND THEY WILL NOT MAKE A ROSTER UNLESS THEY ARE GOOD ENOUGH

if you are going to yell, I am not going to listen

Thats not the intent as I see it. It gives the Canadian QBs a place with ateam to practice and develop. The intent would be if they become good enough someone may offer them a job on a roster. If not they will be realeased and another player will take his place. Their is a special rule for QBs that do not make them part of the Ratio as it is in the best interest of the CFL. For the CFL to give a place for a Canadian QB to develop is also in the best interest of the CFL. Many will never make a roster and teams will still hide US QBs on IR or 9 game IR and those players will be paid CFL salary rate. The practice roter is just to develop canadian QB
There are always special rules for QBs in any league why not one that gives a plac for a Canadian QB to practice and develop their game and I am not from Caanada I am a CFL fan in the US.

I have suggested this in the past, but here it is again. Include the first and second string QB in the roster import rule, but not in the starting position import rule. This wouldn't bring in any "paperweights", as some call them. A Canadian QB would need to be good enough to be at least second string to allow teams to benefit from their non-import status. It might, however, encourage teams to show the same patience with Canadian QBs as they show with their American competition.

Damon Allen runs a quarterback academy in Vaughn, north of Toronto. It was partly through his services that Brad Sinopoli got good enough to get noticed by the Stamps. Maybe the CFL could pay him to scout promising looking young Canadian QBs and prepare them for professional football.

That would be an great idea. That is the kind of thing that needs to be done. There will b a developmental spot somewhere on a team for Canadian QBs in the near future whether it be part of the practice squad or a special developmental spot for QBs. The CFL know it is time to put some Canadian Star power at the QB position

i know everyone doesnt want a QB to get a job because of his nationality... But how many players in the CFL already currently have a spot because of the NON import status. just saying, there might be one or two safeties out there that would be unemployed if they were not Canadian.