Canadian QBs in the CFL

I think it’s kind of funny how Canadian-born quarterbacks like Palmer and Mark Rypien (who even won the Superbowl with the Redskins) can end up in th NFL but not the CFL.

Nathan Rourke goes number 15 (to the Lions) in the CFL draft

Nathan Rourke behind a 35 year old Mike Reilly, good, bad, indifferent?

Lions snag QB Nathan Rourke in second round
cfl.ca April 30, 2020

VANCOUVER — After making a splash in the first round by trading up for the first overall pick, the BC Lions have selected Nathan Rourke with the 15th overall pick in the second round of the CFL Draft.

Rourke was the No. 7 ranked prospect in the spring edition of the CFL Scouting Bureau.

After starting for the program in his final two seasons, the Oakville, Ont., native helped lead Ohio to a victory in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl to cap off the 2019 season.

Rourke becomes the highest selection in the CFL Draft at the QB position at 15, along with Jesse Palmer who was drafted in 2001.

He played in 13 games this past year — including playoffs — throwing for 2,820 yards and 20 touchdowns while throwing just five picks.

Over his 39 career NCAA games, Rourke has completed nearly 60 percent of his passes for 7,457 yards and 60 touchdowns while throwing just 20 interceptions.

Rourke has also been named the winner of the Jon Cornish Award as the NCAA’s top Canadian player in each of the last two seasons.

His Bobcats had won the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl in December, their third bowl game win in as many years and Rourke had solidified himself as one of the school’s best-ever quarterbacks. Rourke, a mobile six-foot-two and 209 pounds, threw for 7,457 yards and 60 touchdowns over three seasons and rushed for 2,639 yards and 49 touchdowns. He took part in the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl in January and got to meet with what he guessed were 15 to 20 NFL teams and some CFL squads.

Ohio is a smaller Div. 1 program, but Rourke’s resume is strong and he’d use the spring to show what he could do in a pro day and hopefully impress enough through tape and conversation to get an opportunity.

I believe he will get a real shot in the CFL but I have been wrong before with others . I can see the NFL giving him a look as well and giving him a workout . Lot's of potential .

The future?

Penn State picks up a commitment from four-star quarterback Christian Veilleux in the Class of 2021
Greg Pickel pennlive.com Apr 29 2020

Another recruiting cycle equals another four-star quarterback for Penn State.

The Lions picked up a pledge from Maryland Class of 2021 passer Christian Veilleux on Wednesday. He is the team’s 10th Class of 2021 verbal commitment.

Veilleux is native to Canada, which means he will join a long list of former north of the border residents to come and play at Penn State. It includes running back Akeel Lynch, linebacker Jesse Luketa, tight end Theo Johnson, and safety Jonathan Sutherland, among others. He plays at The Bullis School in Maryland, and grew up participating with the Gridiron Academy in Ottawa, which is run by coach Victor Tedondo and has sent many of the aforementioned players to the Lions.

Clemson, Tennessee, and Duke are just a few of the schools that were in the running for 247Sports’ No. 15 quarterback in the cycle and a top-300 player nationally. His decision likely puts an end to Penn State’s hopes of landing Washington, D.C., five-star quarterback Caleb Williams, which were slim to none to begin with.

As for what the Lions are getting, it goes without saying that he is the first signal-caller to commit in the Kirk Ciarrocca era, and it’s clear that a February visit to campus to meet the offensive coordinator and others went a long way in closing the deal.

“Good frame and size,” a 247Sports evaluation says.

“Pocket passer with mobility. Release is usually compact, especially on short throws. Ball comes out of hand freely. Accurate, particularly on short throws to edge and intermediate routes. Multi-year starter at Top 20 program.”

While Veilleux needs to polish his game for a chance to start right away, immediate help is not necessarily needed at the position, as the Lions will be expected to return Sean Clifford, Will Levis, Michael Johnson Jr., Taquan Roberson, and Micah Bowens when Veilleux is scheduled to arrive in 2021.

Penn State actually picked up two commitments on Wednesday, as Pa. kicker Sander Sahaydek, who is called the nation’s top Class of 2021 kicker by Kohl’s Kicking, also committed.

The Lions’ Class of 2021 now includes:

Four stars

OT Landon Tengwall (Maryland)
QB Christian Veilleux (Maryland)
S Jaylen Reed (Michigan)
Ath. Zakee Wheatley (Maryland)
CB Kalen King (Michigan)

Some old news in article below.

Four Canadian QBs now signed. Michael O'Connor (Argos), Hugo Richard and Adam Sinagra (Als) and Nathan Rourke (Lions)

Alouettes add Canadian quarterback Adam Sinagra as non-counter following 2020 CFL draft
Justin Dunk 3downation May 1, 2020

The Montreal Alouettes have added Canadian quarterback Adam Sinagra as a non-counter following the 2020 Canadian Football League draft.

Every CFL team is allotted two national players they can bring to training camp as long as they have not played a down in the CFL. Those additions, just like CFL draft picks, do not count as part of the 75-man roster.

During the 2019 U Sports East-West Bowl, a showcase event for the next class of Canadian talent available for the 2020 draft, Sinagra threw for 320 yards and two touchdowns while leading the West team to a 35-17 victory.

Sinagra finished his U Sports career as a Vanier Cup champion beating Danny Maciocia’s University of Montreal Carabins 27-13 to capture the University of Calgary’s first national title since 1995. The senior QB played a pivotal role in the victory, capturing the Ted Morris Memorial Trophy awarded to the game’s Most Valuable Player. He completed 22-of-28 passes for 292 yards and two touchdowns in the win.

“He’s the best quarterback in the country right now,” Maciocia said prior to the contest. “I’m actually a bit upset right now because I just heard Adam speak French, which really upsets me because I didn’t recruit him.”

The 2018 Hec Crighton Trophy winner rewrote the record books on the way to capturing the most prestigious individual award in Canadian university football. Sinagra set a new U Sports single-season passing record with 3,233 yards – averaging over 404 yards per game – and added 23 touchdowns. The Dinos signal caller put on a display for the ages in Saskatoon on Sept. 14, 2018, passing for 569 yards against the University of Saskatchewan, which ranks second-most in a single game all-time.

Sinagra spent an extra year in CEGEP at John Abbott College and has produced at a high level ever since. Sinagra was the 2016 Hardy Cup MVP, then came off the bench to throw for 276 yards and one touchdown against Laval in the Vanier Cup that year. He led the Dinos to another Hardy Cup title in 2017 during his first year as the full-time starter and passed for 318 yards in a hard-fought defeat to Laval in the championship game once again.

There were teams intrigued with Sinagra heading into the draft, however 73 picks passed without his name called. In the past, Sinagra attended Calgary Stampeders and Edmonton Eskimos training camp as part of the Canadian quarterback internship program. Whenever football resumes in the CFL, it will be a real shot for Sinagra in his hometown.

I have read all the talk and words written about giving Canadian quarterbacks a chance and I agree that Canadians should be given opportunities but as long as the majority of the coaches are American I do not see much of a chance for this to occur. Over the past few seasons Brandon Bridge had ample opportunities to prove that he was capable and during his first season with Saskatchewan he showed great promise. He had gone into several games in relief of Kevin Glenn and managed to take his team on to victory. He seems to be a forgotten man now. No team currently has him on their roster. Last season he was not even on anyone's practice roster. He did end up on BC's roster towards the end of last season and he saw no game action until the last BC Lions game which was in a losing cause. I think he has great potential and that a team should be giving him another opportunity.

The Dan Patrick Show shouts out Canadian QB Nathan Rourke: ‘MAC superstar’
Justin Dunk 3downnation May 18, 2020

The Dan Patrick Show has won numerous Sports Emmys and know what it takes to be elite.

One of the Danettes, Paul Pabst, the executive producer, reminded Patrick about the Ohio University attack led by a dual-threat Canadian.

“Before the show I pitched you, let me do a full hour on the CFL draft, and you said, ‘No freaking way,'” Pabst said on Friday, May 1 (50:50 mark).

“But I got one for you that you’re really going to like: the B.C. Lions in the second round, took quarterback Nathan Rourke out of Ohio, the Ohio Bobcats quarterback…MAC superstar.”

Rourke tied the mark for highest Canadian QB selected in the CFL draft, Jesse Palmer was chosen 15th by the Montreal Alouettes in 2001. Over three seasons at Ohio, Rourke produced 7,313 passing yards, 60 touchdowns compared to 20 interceptions and rushed for 2,552 yards with 48 touchdowns plus three receptions for 20 yards and two touchdowns — program-record 110 total touchdowns.

“I love that offence. I loved watching Ohio U — Frank Solich. He’s done a great job there, a little #MACtion there. I liked Ohio U,” Patrick said.

The Oakville native finished his Ohio career with a 24-13 record as a starting quarterback and was under centre for three-straight bowl victories. Ohio matched the University of Toledo (1969-1971) and Miami University (1973-1975) for the most consecutive bowl wins in Mid-American Conference history.

Patrick recalled watching Rourke lead the Bobcats to victory in the 2019 Idaho Potato Bowl while earning MVP honours. Perhaps Patrick will follow Rourke’s career north of the border. If The DP Show needs any goods on the CFL or rising Canadians, just give 3DownNation a call.

What a happy thing it might be if a coach were able to teach a Canadian pivot to play at the pro level. I blame the coaches for the lack of national talent.

Keep teaching even after players turn pro.

IF the difference between QBs trained in Canada and the US is coaching ... then work something out with he CFLPA that coaches get additional time with Canadian QBs each day and in offseason ... coaches can't take time away from team/game preparation to focus on "training up" Canadian QBs ... BTW ... an interesting idea worth exploring.

Yes positively. An excellent idea: make an incentive for coaches to develop Canadian pivots. And when it's implemented make sure you get the credit it!