Canadian Open Golf 2022

For the first time in 3 years our long running national golf tournament, which used to be considered the “5th major”, started today. A Canadian hasn’t won since 1954, with Mike Weir being the closest almost 20 years ago. I think that given the quality of Canadian golfers on the tour today we have our best chance in a long time for a Canadian winner. Go Canadians!

Below is a story on the tournament from a Canadian angle for anyone interested.

[How a Canadian can win the Open Weeks: How a Canadian can win the Open - TSN.ca](How a Canadian can win the Open Weeks: How a Canadian can win the Open - TSN.ca)

3 Likes

Poor Rory now has the "Maple Leaf Curse" (photo from the FB Canadian Open page).

2 Likes

Below are the results of the Canadians in the tournament after their first round.

(Hughes in the mix after strong opening round at Canadian Open Canadian Open Mackenzie Hughes Adam Hadwin Corey Conners - TSN.ca)

Here is a breakdown of the first day leaders so far.

(Clark stays hot and takes early lead at Canadian Open Wyndham Clark Canadian Open - TSN.ca)

Below are links to a summary of the standings after day 2 of the Canadian open and a summary of how all Canadians fared.

The course played very difficult today and the scores reflect that.

[Clark holds one-shot lead after second round at RBC Canadian Open Wyndham Clark Rory McIlroy Aaron Cockerill Round 2 Canadian Open - TSN.ca](Clark holds one-shot lead after second round at RBC Canadian Open Wyndham Clark Rory McIlroy Aaron Cockerill Round 2 Canadian Open - TSN.ca)

[Cockerill, Taylor the top Canadians heading into weekend in Toronto Aaron Cockerill Nick Taylor RBC Canadian Open - TSN.ca](Cockerill, Taylor the top Canadians heading into weekend in Toronto Aaron Cockerill Nick Taylor RBC Canadian Open - TSN.ca)

Curious if any of the Canadian players on the PGA Tour or maybe it's the CPGA have any say in how many spots are open to play in the CO? I don't think there is any union like the CFLPA where Canadian players do have a say with, for instance, the ratio in the CFL and how many Canadians must start/be on the field sort of thing. I don't know. Probably just up to the execs in the CPGA I would think with or without the collaboration of the PGA although I suppose the PGA would have to sanction the decision because it is an official PGA tournament.

Basically those who run the Open have considerable leeway as to who they let in after a certain amount of spots are accommodated by PGA rule. Each tournament has what they call “sponsor exemptions”. Here they use a huge amount to allow Canadians to enter and fittingly there are way more Canadians in this tournament than any other PGA event.

So do you think the Canadian players have any input into this at all? My guess is no.

Mac Hughes just Eagled the par 5, 9th hole to get to -2(T-22nd) on the leaderboard!

2 Likes

No. They don’t decide. They must be invited if they don’t already qualify. Manitoba’s own Aaron Cockerill, who plays the European Tour, was invited and made the cut. His story is being profiled closely in the Winnipeg Free Press who sent a reporter to cover his first two days, including with his many family members there. Since he made the cut at -2 the Free Press extended the reporter’s stay through the weekend. This is Aaron’s first PGA event ever and his family and the community are very proud of him. You wouldn’t see this happening for a relatively unheard of Canadian golfer at any other tournament. Most years there is a feel good story among the many Canadians invited in which a relative unknown does good and at least makes the cut, like Aaron.

1 Like

My guy Rory, of course all Canadians are "my guy" but if a Canadian can't win, Rory, you da man, as class as class gets.

He’s the defending champ.

Haven’t had the time to follow things today but will catch up later.

Just watched the interview after the round after missing a 50/50 birdie putt on 18. The guy is pure class. Him and Finau tomorrow in the last group will be special, weather permitting.

1 Like

Below is a summary of where players stand after round 3. The forecast is poor for tomorrow with threesomes and split tees to be in effect. Hopefully they will be able to complete the fourth round.

[Finau, McIlroy co-leaders at Canadian Open after three rounds, Taylor top Canadian Tony Finau Rory McIlroy Nick Taylor Canadian Open - TSN.ca](Finau, McIlroy co-leaders at Canadian Open after three rounds, Taylor top Canadian Tony Finau Rory McIlroy Nick Taylor Canadian Open - TSN.ca)

Just turned on the Golf Channel looking for the Canadian Open. It starts in a half hour but they are showing the LPGA Shoprite Classic. Canada’s best golfer ever, Brooke Henderson, has made up 4 or 5 strokes on the leaders and is tied for the lead after 9. Still a way to go though. Unfortunately it doesn’t appear that there will be live coverage all the way through although it is usually repeated later in the day.

Brooke is leading now at -11

1 Like

I’ve been watching. Brooke still up by one and on 15. She is striping it and might have it in the bag already if she hadn’t missed a few short birdie putts.

She just missed a 14 footer for birdie on 15. The announcer said her ball striking has been like a laser show.

I wasn’t able to watch the playoff as the feed changed over to the Canadian Open but Brooke won with an eagle on the first playoff hole. Congratulations. She has a great career ahead of her.

[Henderson wins ShopRite LPGA Classic in playoff Brooke Henderson wins ShopRite LPGA Classic - TSN.ca](Henderson wins ShopRite LPGA Classic in playoff Brooke Henderson wins ShopRite LPGA Classic - TSN.ca)

1 Like

Corey Conners missed a makeable birdie putt on 18 but still shot 62 in his final round to move well up the leaderboard but unfortunately still shy of the leaders.

Brief summary of the tourny below. McIlroy prevailed in a finish that was close until the 71st hole.

[McIlroy captures second straight RBC Canadian Open title Rory McIlroy RBC Canadian Open Winner - TSN.ca](McIlroy captures second straight RBC Canadian Open title Rory McIlroy RBC Canadian Open Winner - TSN.ca)

Expanded summary:

[McIlroy captures second straight RBC Canadian Open title Rory McIlroy RBC Canadian Open Winner - TSN.ca](McIlroy captures second straight RBC Canadian Open title Rory McIlroy RBC Canadian Open Winner - TSN.ca)

Just watched the ending now, taped it, congrats to Rory, great back to back wins in our national open and to Brooke, nice they showed it on CBS. Felt a bit bad for Thomas with 2 bogeys ending up but he did put the pressure on and Finau, what a great putt on 18. Weather cooperated today there in Toronto, just down the road here in Hamilton I got drenched on my walk but better than yesterday where I got pelted with hail and cold rain.
Nice to see the Canadian Open back that's for sure after a couple of years off. That's a real nice course St. George's is, didn't realize it. Played soft with the rains hence the low scores and little wind today, changes everything. Some of the fans were a bit too stupid for my liking for golf, a bit too much booze in them but hey, they paid their money and looked like when the players where making a shot they shut their mouths up fortunately.

1 Like