Canadian High School Football 2022

Final rankings for 2022 are in!

Too bad there isn't enough money for a national high school playoff system where they actually face off against each other.

1 Like

Maybe the CFL team closest to the #1 overall should sponsor a 1 vs 2 game. This year, that'd mean the Riders sponsor a game between their home province's champs vs a team from London, Ontario.

Speaking of London, they're quite the hotbed at the grassroots level, with Western Mustangs as perennial favourites in USports, the Beefeaters as perennial favourites in the OFC, and the Laurier Rams ranked #2 at the high school level.

And here's a little article about the GTA teams who competed in provincial bowl games.
https://footballtoronto.org/leagues/NewsItem/10603/6791

Toronto was represented by three squads at this year’s season-ending OFSAA Bowl games.

But none of the Toronto clubs were able to emerge victorious in the contests, that were staged from Nov. 28-30 at the University of Guelph’s Alumni Stadium.

For starters, the Chaminade Gryphons, champions of Toronto’s Catholic schools league, squared off against Kitchener’s Resurrection Phoenix in the Metro Bowl, held on Nov. 28.

The Resurrection team ended up posting a 56-14 decision in that contest.

The following day, the Toronto-based St. Michael’s Kerry Blues, who were representing their Independent schools circuit, met the Thomas A. Stewart Griffins from Peterborough, in the Independent Bowl.

The Griffins were able to celebrate following that game as they posted a 48-7 win.

And then on Nov. 30, the Northern Red Knights, who had advanced to the National Capital Bowl game by winning Toronto’s public schools crown, faced Ottawa’s St. Matthew Tigers.

Though the Red Knights found themselves up 14-3 at the half, the Tigers scored three second-half TDs and were able to pull out a 24-15 victory.

A total of nine OFSAA Bowl games were held in Guelph. Participating squads were representing 17 different leagues from across the province.

The Central Western Ontario Secondary Schools Association had two teams take part - its league champs and finalists as well

1 Like

There’s enough money. It’s a scheduling thing more than anything

2 Likes

I just looked at the standings for BC. Didn't realize how much the sport has grown in the past 25 years. I think we had 14 teams at the highest level in the 90's. Almost double that now.

1 Like

Here are the "small school" rankings:

2 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes

It sure has. Unfortunately the disparity between programs although not as bad as back then, still remains. They really need school boards to stop realigning boundaries as that has killed of some great programs from generations past

2 Likes
1 Like

2 Likes

The Argos and CFL should be going all-in to sponsor this:

2 Likes

i guess the question is why aren’t they?

but OMG GENIUS SPORTS

BC High School have their finals in BC Place around the first weekend of December.

2 Likes

I've played in 4 games in the dome and dressed for another in the 90's.

3 Likes

I was able to officiate some community finals in BC Place from 2006-2008.

Quite the experience being on the same field the pros play on.

3 Likes

Just like golf.

1 Like

My cousin's son is an O-Lineman for Bishop Tonnos in Hamilton...

1 Like

IIRC, some Tiger-Cats were doing some guest coaching or running a clinic or something like that at Bishop Tonnos last fall. That'd be a great experience for the lads.

Nice to see some TSN CFL royalty helping out the grassroots:

1 Like