Canadian Football outside Canada

I agree and said the same thing. Catch them at the younger age.
The CFL could even partner with Canadian Junior Football and alot players to Junior football teams.

good stuff on this thread guys. I agree and have stated all the same things as were posted.

LFA in Mexico could be the one country to adapt CFL rules and field sizes.

They have two universty divisions. In which the pro league has a draft.
Among the stadiums they use are multi purpose Track & Soccer stadiums.
So there wouldnt be any costs to expand fields for larger Cfl dimensions.

This is part of the goal of the global initiative, to get more global players in USports schools. Schools can charge international students more tuition. $$$ The more the league spreads awareness of its product and the potential career path for football players around the world, the more of them will look into USports schools.

And starting next year (IIRC), those students attending and graduating from USports programs will qualify as Nationals in the CFL.

Yes sir indeed.
With Canada now full Fledged NCAA recruiting territory. NCAA Poaches most of the best Canadian talent.
So there are a few teams that have the best canadian talent. As the haves.
And the majority of schools as have nots.
The entire AUS is a have nots conference.
The have nots can turn things around quickly with the lure of new rules.
They can start recruiting US Juco school players.
There are a ton of great JUCO players that end up on the outside looking in when it comes to offers from NCAA schools.
There is just so many Juco players. With the turnover in rosters yearly plenty of hood players slip thru the cracks.
Usports teams could fill the void.
Global players going to Usports would potentially hold dual status.

When I hear about the changes like the non Canadian graduating player being a national I feel

they had it right the first time with import and non import term used for classification .

The correct term was non import . The word national gives the connotation that they are Canadian .

Non Import is a better choice of words .

1 Like

I agree that calling players Canadian Nationals certainly isnā€™t the right term.
I wasnā€™t a fan of refering to Canadian Nationals as non imports.
The old rule was if u came from a foreign country and lived in Canada for 5 consecutive years.
Is im guessing why the term non import was used.
But now those players would be considered global players.

I watched one of those International Bowl games this week. Concept is to promote the game of football around the world.

My guess is the number of people who showed up at AT&T stadium is a couple hundred. The game seemed to have nosponsors, probably because there is not enough of an audience to make it worthwhile. Games were in football-crazed Texas and in a stadiuim that drew over 40,000 for the stateā€™s high school championship game. Yet, there was no interest in rooting for their countryā€™s national teams.

That is one part of CFL 2.0 in which I am a skeptical about. Hoping there will be people following a league because there is someone there who came from your homeland.

That makes sense.

Probably too much sense for the league, unfortunately.

True I am skeptical too if thats what they are going for an audience in Canada or abroad with people watching because Lars from Norway is playing special teams .

On the other international bowl games .

High school age kids with so many levels like under 17 under 18 etc ā€¦ is so broad .

Plus the US sees other countries beneath their level especially hotbed Texas . I donā€™t see it gathering interest like the little league World Series where other countries compete and win.

Not a huge fan of CFL 2.0 but at least itā€™s fighting the good fight and itā€™s trying something that should have been done years ago .

CFL 2.0 has a sweet spot untapped at the older group internationally where there is no colleges in Sweden , Germany , Japan etc ā€¦ like LSU versus Clemson in the states .

So amateurs with just one age group 18 and over internationally playing our version may have a impact when there is more of a level playing field without the US dominance .

That would mean Canada being represented by actual Canadianā€™s playing our game though to make this actually work .

NFL and four downs is so dominant worldwide; it really is late in the game for the CFL and our version to be sold internationally but at least itā€™s worth the time as our version of the game is barely surviving and is always looking for a hero in ownership .

There is a opening the NFL has left open by itā€™s own culture of exclusivity .

To not try to exploit that one weakness is a lost opportunity as I donā€™t know how long the NFL will leave that space vacant .

The CFL should act as fast as it can to create something out of nothing overnight with three down football competing for a world title amateur for adults over the age of 18 .

1 Like

Excellent suggestion!

:slight_smile:

1 Like

IFAF had such an international football competition for men for about a decade or so every couple yrs. The menā€™s division has faded. Now the cfl is heading the international movement. I agree it would make sense to hold a global competition every 2 yrs. When Toronto hosted the Pan am games. I had discussed about having a ftp rules exhibition. Most stadiums in Toronto and Hamilton were being used. My thought was having a US, Mexico, 2 Canada teams. In an unofficial competition. Guelph and Waterloo Universities could have hosted the competition. With teams staying in dorms.

Not that itā€™s going to happen, but I donā€™t buy you goal post argument though I agree with the rest.

Football at the amateur level up through middle school is still played with old-fashioned goal posts at the front of the end zone. They are about the same as and are often used also for rugby.

1 Like

Agree

The rest of the world plays soccer. Field size is not an issue.

If & when they start with a league it should be Mexico.

How many years has the league wanted to add another team? The stadiums are not selling out, will lose more players to XFL. The product is great but your missing the mark. Fix your house then buy a summer homeā€¦

This ā€œwill lose players to the XFLā€ meme is really annoying. There are literally 1000s of players available, and the XFL has a 10 game season that ends a month before the CFL season starts.

There are just to many things going on out of the CFL office now.
Priority number 1 has got to be the majority focus the 10 th team in Halifax.
Stadium building is an issue in a lot of sports. The CFL needs to have a comittee run by CFL officers whose focus is on all things everything focused solely on halifax.
There are plenty of current CFL players that are from the Maritimes and plenty that are playing in the CFL right now and more than a few that are stars.
These guys should be hired in the off season to get out to and promote at their former schools. Inside Junior Hockey rinks. Running camps in the grass roots programs. A marketing professional leading the a team to market the CFL. gather all the cfl league sponsors to have a part in funding it.
I can go on forever.

I attended the recent visit to Hamilton (last Thursday) from the Commissioner and during the session he specifically mentioned that the Australian (North American-style) football association was soon going to move to CFL rules. As you can imagine, he was delighted.

At least itā€™s a start :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Love the CFL but the fact of the matter is average career is 2-3 years and money talksā€¦
There are thousands of players but the rotating door does not help a league that is at a crossroads. I know throwing peanuts from the cheapseats is futile but thatā€™s all fans can do sometimesā€¦