Canadian football formations

I'm trying to educate myself a bit about football. In particular, as the thread title suggests, I want to know more about Canadian football formations. It seems to use a lot of the American ones, with the difference, of course, that there are 12 men on the field instead of 11. I'd like to know where that 12th man fits in or (possibly alters the formation), but almost everything I find on the internet only shows the American version. Can anybody help? Are there any resources out there about this?

I believe many just replace the TE with two slotbacks, one on each side but there are also several others.

Edit: TheBeast be me to one example.

PiCat, I found this; Both games have the same number of players required at the line of scrimmage, so the twelfth player plays a backfield psition. Because of this, position designations of the various offensive and defensive line varies. There is no Tight End in most formations in the CFL. The typical offensive arrangement in Canadian ball is for to be two slotbacks instead of the American Tight End, while on the defensive end of the ball; two Defensive Halfbacks and one Safety instead of two Safeties in the NFL.
Info is from the link below.

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_American_and_Canadian_football]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... n_football[/url]

Interesting thread PiCat ; aside from Canadian game abandoning the T.E position in the 80,s ( IMO this position could still be productive in Canadian ball with a good recieving T.E. )and American offences have had to adopt Canadian influenced passing sets, The big stratigical difference is in the odd man vs even man (11 vs 12) match ups, similar to odd or even man situations in hockey. Canadian offences are under more pressure with fewer downs and one more defender to avoid. So Canadian plays are usually for longer ydg, with fewer predictable 2 or 3 back run plays.

And we used to have some good ones in the CFL, didn't we? Herm Harrison, Peter Dalla Riva, Tony Gabriel, Mel Profit. . .

I agree it's an interesting thread, but I'm biased. :wink:

Where did the TEs fit in in the formations? Did they have two TEs instead of two SBs?

Well generally because in CFL football, you are allowed near unlimited backfield motion, the preference is usually to go with two slotbacks who can get a running start and run a short rout, as opposed to going with a tight end who has to line up with the offensive line. Usually this is because you don't see as much emphasis on around the corner pass rush in the CFL game so the jam at the end isn't needed and having a slot means another person to run a faster short route then a TE typically can, in case of a blitz.

1950s - teams had two Ends who lined up just outside the OT. The two outer most players on the line were considered eligible to catch passes. The Backfield consisted of 2-HB & 2-FB (Edm & Wpg) or 2-HB, 1-FB & 1-Flying Wing (remainder of the teams). A HB was known for speed and finesse (runs to the outside and a pass catching role). A FB was the power back who would get the tough yardage through the middle of the line.

1960s - the ends were separated into tight-end (TE) and split-end (SE). The TE still lined up close to the OT while the SE would line up similar to a WR today. The backfield usually consisted of 2-HB, 1-FB & 1-flanker

1970s - The two on-the-line positions were now the WR and SE. The TE would line up one yard back of the line of scrimmage. The other backfield positions were RB, FB and wingback (a pass catching RB). The WB later transformed into the SB.

1980s - Most teams now lined up 2-WR, 2-SB, RB, FB. The FB starts to become more of a blocking back type of role.

I hope this helps.

Looks like the use of slot backs was common as early as 1979
Ottawa used a t.e and slot but not on all plays -frame 33

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMic6BqztKE