Canadian Football 17 video game slated for June 2017

I'll dust off my Atari.

I hope the CFL is not spending too much on this - if anything. Unfortunately, I don't think this will sell.

I had this when I was a kid in the 70’s.

The only good thing about it was all the team logos on it.

Other than that , it sucked.

The players would just vibrate. When the qb tossed the magnetic ball, it would just flop down.

I had to place the ball on a player and pretend the pass was complete.

The 2 teams, I had to pretend were Calgary ( red and white ) and Winnipeg ( blue and gold ).

I remember, as a kid, if you had an electronic game, there was a 25% chance it didn’t work properly. And, even if it did work, it was meh. How times have changed.

Without knowing what their arrangement is with Microsoft, I can’t say for 100% certain, but most likely what they’re doing is this: http://www.xbox.com/en-CA/developers/id

That lets you self publish, enable devkit mode on a retail Xbox One, and get some support from MS to do that. It doesn’t tend to include any upfront money for the developer, but keeps costs to a minimum. Anybody with a game MS is not adverse to having on the system can apply for that program.

Sony’s program is different. Given the sales lead the PS4 has over the XB1, that is where you want to be if you’re on consoles, though.

The CFL isn’t spending anything, far as I can tell. I doubt they’d fund a game that doesn’t carry the CFL license, teams, or logos. If they were funding it, you’d see more CFL branding.

If it is like older football games, that's not a bad thing.

My favourite version of NCAA FB was 2003. Before that, they were too clunky. After that, they were too high tech. 2003 was just right.

[attachment=0:2kw0lwap]ss14.jpg[/attachment:2kw0lwap] This is what it looked like in 2006, it was a fun game. Now I'm sure it will very close to modern games.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cf...001431300.html

Madden’s developers have built a CFL video game, but they won’t release it

One of the most interesting elements of the NFL's rise from prominence to dominance over the last few decades has been the accompanying trend in the video game market; each instalment in Electronics Arts' Madden franchise tends to be one of the top-selling games in any category each year, even when factors like an NFL lockout intervene. Despite widespread interest, though, there hasn't been a three-down football video game made since CFL Football '99 (pictured above). That changed in a notable way this week, as Kotaku's Owen Good reported that Madden's developers have actually made a working CFL version internally. However, EA's general manager of the American football division, Cam Weber (who happens to be Canadian), told Good that they won't be releasing the game and they have no plans to enter the CFL market at this time (although Weber has had "multiple conversations" with CFL commissioner Mark Cohon). This is an unfortunate move on EA's part, and it defies business sense; there's a strong case to be made that even an incredibly basic three-down football video game would be tremendously beneficial for EA, Madden and the CFL.

However, everything changes dramatically when you consider the idea of the game not actually being a standalone product, but rather an add-on or downloadable content (DLC) pack for an existing franchise. EA has found huge success with those for some of their franchises, including the Mass Effect and Dragon Age properties, and the concept's quite simple; people who already have the base game can pay an extra fee (generally from $5 to $20, depending on the content involved) and download extra characters, quests, levels and items. Why not consider doing that with a CFL mod of Madden: tie it to the base game, release as DLC and just make it an extra playable mode for those who want to pay extra?

Really, the amount of work required to convert Madden to the CFL doesn't seem all that significant, which is likely why the development team was able to pull their version off in their spare time. Changing team logos and jerseys can be done with EA's NCAA Football series, and it's very easy to create custom players and rosters. Modifying the rules and playbooks for the CFL would be a little more difficult, but it's still very doable. It's from the business side where this really makes sense, though; not only would EA get an extra $10 to $20 from many of their existing Madden customers, they'd also get a substantial number of CFL fans who don't already buy Madden to shell out for the base game. I can't see licensing posing a substantial obstacle, either; the CFL's been eager to get a game out there, and EA and the Madden team would be by far the best people to work with given their dominance of the football side of the sports world.

There's a debate to be had about whether Madden has primarily boosted the NFL's popularity or vice versa (from this corner, the correct answer's a bit of both), but there's no denying that having a successful video game franchise based on its product has generally been a good thing for the NFL. Other leagues have jumped on the video game train, too, even smaller ones like the National Lacrosse League, but the CFL has lagged behind. This revelation that EA's developers are making CFL mods on their own time is a notable one, and it should convince the league to go all-out on lobbying efforts to work with EA and make a releasable version of this CFL game. (Fan lobbying from those who'd buy this would certainly help, too.) A CFL mod of Madden released as DLC would be good for everyone involved, and much of the work has apparently already been done; we just need the decision-makers to realize its potential.

[attachment=0:26nkecow]1353.jpg[/attachment:26nkecow][attachment=1:26nkecow]1351.jpg[/attachment:26nkecow][attachment=2:26nkecow]1350.jpg[/attachment:26nkecow]They just released screen caps, as you can see they are far from finished, but looks good so far.

[attachment=0:lj8s7oyx]Untitled.png[/attachment:lj8s7oyx]Here's a screen shot of Montreal's stadium with no one in the stands yet.

Tecmo Bowl you want! Tecmo Bowl you get!

https://youtu.be/HHlF8t-IPjE

This emulator build was presented this past spring on the TiCats website.

enjoy.

No link, but someone on Riderfans just posted that Dennis Skulsy announced EA is working on a CFL game.

EA Sports developing Canadian Football League game

Maybe our resident cynics will find some new friends on this forum? :wink:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=211889007

With US field and game play? The CFL should block this game from ever coming out. It will do irreparable damage to the league.

Really bungle, your going to take someones post from a forum that they heard on the radio that Skulsky said those things as a press release on the game? Wow your intelligence is dropping by the second. So they'll do all that stuff including Alumni but use the US field dimensions in CFL stadia? Think that one through, oh sorry I said think, that may be problematic for you.

Not to mention 11 men and four downs

You're insane bungle, I'd insult you but doing so would insult the the groups name I'd be using as you are beneath them.

[url=http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/30/12333058/canadian-football-league-madden-ea-sports-rumor]http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/30/123330 ... orts-rumor[/url] https://twitter.com/BCLions/status/759196927028174848

Again all heresay and confirmation from anyone! But I’m glad there’s talk on this subject.

That's an impressive "misspeak".