Canadian arm of World Anti-Doping Agency slams CFL

[u]Lab boss slams lax CFL drug policy League looks at taking testing south of border[/u]

[b]The Canadian Football League's lax drug policy is under fire again, this time from a world leader in the fight against doping.

• The head of the only lab in Canada accredited by the World Anti-Doping Agency says she can't in good conscience continue testing CFL samples.[/b]

“We have had several positive findings and no athlete was ever suspended,? Christiane Ayotte told the Winnipeg Sun, Friday. “Which for me was unbearable. I could not continue without jeopardizing our reputation.?

[b]Ayotte first raised her concerns in a letter to the Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport, the agency that overseas anti-doping programs in Canada, at the end of the 2014 CFL season.
Ayotte has spent 30 years as the head of the now Laval-based lab, which runs some 25,000 tests per year, many of them for Major League Baseball, the NHL and the NBA.

It's one of just three WADA-accredited labs in North America.

Ayotte says the CFL doesn't test nearly enough, and has a much higher rate of failed tests (nearly 3.5%) than the other leagues.
She says it should follow the lead of other pro sports and suspend players after one failed test.

Ayotte says the CFL has responded to her concerns by looking at taking the collection and testing of its players' samples south of the border.
“It's a shame,? Ayotte said. “It's a Canadian league. They would go in the USA because they don't like to be forced or pushed to improve their program??[/b]

[url=http://www.torontosun.com/2015/06/05/lab-boss-slams-lax-cfl-drug-policy-league-looks-at-taking-testing-south-of-border]http://www.torontosun.com/2015/06/05/la ... -of-border[/url]

Pretty damning and terrible approach by a league that's received over a billion dollars in public infrastructure (if you count the new stadium in Saskatchewan) in the last five years to support its product.

while I love the game, the league itself has been bush for a long time.

Madam Ayoette might also be aghast that some CFL players make only $51,000 per season and that they should be paid on par "with other pro leagues"...based in the U.S. She criticizes the CFL for requiring first time offenders to take professional counseling and be tested regularly rather than be suspended immediately from their $50k to $100k jobs (the CFL's drug policy is similar to many blue, white collar and union jobs). I wonder if Ayoette's colleagues at her clinic are automatically suspended from their jobs if they're caught doing drugs? CIS and CFL players who test positive for a 2nd time are automatically suspended.

Ayoette criticizes the CFL for threatening to move to a U.S. testing clinic while she thinks it's fine to compare the CFL with U.S. pro leagues (which earn billions each year) as the foundation for her criticisms.

Not much of a story to me. Players who make millions just hire masking docs to mask what they take. Now there's the real joke. Next.

As this poster says on another forum:

If only the general public knew what those cyclist did to themselves. Testing for any pro sports is ridiculous, its not 'may the best man win', its 'may the best team of drug masking doctors win'.
Funny thing is, with all the drugs they ALL use, it is a pretty even playing field, so the best man does win!

[url=http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/hi/professional-muscle-forum/92401-witch-hunt-finally-gets-lance-armstrong-2.html]http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forum ... ong-2.html[/url]

I think your missing the point. Her lab performs 25 000 tests a year. I doubt she's bothered by losing a couple hundred samples a year from the CFL to a US lab. Her beef is that the CFL would then no longer be under the eye of the Canadian Center for Ethics in Sports. She's accusing the CFL of evading the National body setup to ensure fair and clean competition between Canadian athletes.

As far as I know the CFL is the only sport league pro or amateur that hides positive test results for PED use. That alone is pretty ugly.

Interesting take on this issue.

So, at what income level should the CFL apply suspensions similar to other sports leagues?

Also, it was pointed out in another thread that CIS players who are caught taking PEDs are still eligible for the draft. So they can enhance their performance to get drafted, or drafted higher, without any repercussions as long as they don't get caught again. This hardly seems fair.

Does it really matter if these guys are taking drugs or supplements to get a leg up? it's not lke this is amateur sports or the Olympics. The CFL is probably reluctant to crack down or punish players because it's so widespread.
I say these guys are professionals it should be up to them if they want to use steroids/drugs etc to improve their performance.

That would be OK except that in 10 years from now, a group of ex players will sue the league stating the CFL knew that the drugs were harmful and the league did not warn them.... It's unfortunate we live in an age where no one is responsible for their own actions. Like little kids ' it's always somebody else's fault."

NO it is not ok. A sport without rules ensuring a fair playing field is not a sport. Canadian culture is that we do not tolerate Frankenstein "doctoring" of sports be it amateur or professional.

This is Vitor Belfort a pro fighter. Pictures taken within his last two fights weight in.
Picture on the left is taken May 17th. 2015 (without TRT) and multiple testing while the picture to the right was taken November 8th. 2013 where he admitted to at a minimum using TRT (since banned).

Vitor was also suspended for 4-hydroxytestosterone in the past.

If you can't see by looking at a simple picture why PED should not be TOLERATED in sports competitions. I don't know what you need to see...

And so they should...

I doubt the CFL is happy with a Lab they've contracted to do their testing leaking info to the press. I'm sure any business would stop associating with a company they've hired who has done the same.

And what business is it of hers what happens to the 3.5% who test positive? She was hired to do the test. That's it. Not to leak info or make judgment of the league's drug policy, which had to be negotiated with the CFLPA.

As the article states, college players who test positive and are then drafted enter the league with a first strike on their record. Next positive test results in suspension rather than being treated as a first time offender.

I for one, am happy with the current policy as it does give a first time offender the benefit of the doubt before dragging them through the mud and suspending them when it could be they have taken something completely by accident. At least, the current system gives such players time to find out what caused them to accidentally test positive and then make changes to their training regiment. If they test positive again, then it can be assumed they are intentionally trying to cheat.

To me, this article is nothing more than the result of some loser lab worker who wanted their name in the papers.

First offense: Suspend a player for ONE year with follow up tests to make sure all substance enhanced gains have disappeared.

Second offense: Two year suspension with same as above

Third offense: Lifetime ban.

She explained why. Doping athletes share information to "beat" testing protocols.

[url=http://www.vpxsports.com/article-detail/how-i-beat-a-steroid-test]http://www.vpxsports.com/article-detail ... eroid-test[/url]
What’s my point? My point is that [b]WADA[/b] doesn’t much care about policing sports that can’t pay them millions of dollars to appear clean, so they’re not concerned with bodybuilding. But more specifically, they’re not concerned with things like thyroid medication, which is a must-have drug for precontest physique athletes, but isn’t on WADA’s prohibited substances list. So that means my clients could use as much T3 or T4 as they wanted. Unfortunately, even legal stimulants like ephedrine and methylhexaneamine are banned, so that needs to be taken into account…and anyone looking at beating a drug test would be well advised to actually know what’s on it.

Testosterone, IGF-1, MGF, and Growth Hormone are naturally occurring hormones, so their inclusion in a drug-tested cycle is a no-brainer. Obviously I relied on testosterone as the primary anabolic in this kind of cycle for a man. And since the drug testing only needed to be defeated on one specific date, fast acting orals were an easy choice also, as was the short-estered masteron. Injectable Primobolan (Methenolone Ananthate) takes a couple of couple of months to clear, so while it could be used four months out, it needed to be dropped relatively quickly.

She shouldn't be leaking this info to the press.
Now that she has, the league SHOULD be expected to take their testing elsewhere.

No,the league should take the constructive criticism seriously. There were 55 athletes at the combine. Five tested positive (10%)
Fifty athletes tested clean and were cheated by the other five. What about them ?

Your problem is with CIS and US college leagues and their testing/punishment not the CFL. If there were better testing and punishment at the college level, these players wouldn't even have the opportunity to be drafted in the CFL.

For all we know, the league was taking a look at changing draft eligibility for college players who have tested positive. Then this lab rat leaks info she had no business leaking.

All this article does for me, is reaffirm that the league is testing and those who are taking banned substances are getting caught.
The punishment which was agreed upon by the league and their players is being adhered to.

End of story.

All the league policy is doing is warning the cheaters that they aren't cheating properly. How can a league that claims to care about the safety of its athlete be taken seriously on that account when it rewards "jacked" players by drafting them weeks after a positive test ?

While not all cheaters abuse steroids, some do. Tolerating "roided" athletes on the field puts players in danger and everyone around them.

[url=http://www.matthewdearfoundation.co.uk/10--What-is-ROID-RAGE.html]http://www.matthewdearfoundation.co.uk/ ... -RAGE.html[/url]

I think it's great the league has a drug policy that allows them to catch those who are dopping. Not too long ago, we didn't have this and had no idea how many players were cheating and getting away with it.

I believe the league's hands are somewhat tied due to the terms of the collective bargaining agreement in that they cannot make changes to the punishments they hand out the moment a new issue comes up.

And while I can agree, there is also room for some improvement, I don't agree that this lab employee should have gone public with information of a paid client.

I also feel that due to this leak, trust has been broken between the CFL and this Canadian lab, and that they will now be forced to go with an alternative lab for its testing.

Agree dg. This lab probably knew it wasn't going to get their contract reinked when the current contract is up so they went public.

Hf, many are doing it the smart ones/those with money just know how not to get caught. Any pro league any sport or amateur as well when you are dealing with athletes that can make money eventually from the sport.