Canad Inns Stadium needs $52 million in Repairs

WINNIPEG — Premier Greg Selinger says a new home for the CFL’s Winnipeg Blue Bombers is necessary because Canad Inns Stadium needs $52 million in repairs over the next several years.
He made the comment during a flood briefing at Ste. Agathe this afternoon.
It’s the first time the province has revealed the size of the old stadium’s repair bill.
Selinger refused to comment further on a new proposal, revealed by the Free Press Saturday, that would see a $100-million stadium built, a scaled-down version of the $135 million one originally planned.
He said stadium proponents are still working on a new deal, and more details will be made available at a later date.

" a scaled-down version "- If this "scaled down" version is nothing more than a new copy of what the Bombers are currently playing in, at what point does it become unwise to build a new stadium? $100 million doesn't sound like it will build you much of a stadium these days

Thanks for the update. I was actually going to ask someone what they new about the project. It has been very quiet lately and CanWest is in the tank. Good to see it is still on the books to go ahead, even if it has to be a scaled back project. Any sense of timeline? Neither article I;ve read speaks to that.

Still drives me nuts that all the Feds can see fit to contribute to that project is 15 million. They sneeze and they spend $15 million! Their (highly partisan) bill for advertising during the Olympics was $5 million for god sakes. Put it into perspective, the Feds are spending 55 million to host 2 meetings for the G8 this year, which is a defunct organization that has been replaced by the G20.

But put a construction crew of thousands to work for 2-3 years and create economic development opportunities for the community and region for decades to come (some would go so far as to call it 'nation building')...no no, thats not going to happen. Unless its a hockey stadium, then, no problem.

Drives me nuts.

Hopefully for the last time... CANWEST HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH A STADIUM IN WINNIPEG!!! THEIR FINANCIAL SITUATION HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CRESWIN!!!

The article that was linked to is more of a follow-up article. There are reports that the province is going to increase its contribution to the project and build a scaled down version of the stadium for $100 million that would be financed entirely by public money. No word on whether the feds' committment will be increased or just the province's. No one knows exactly what scaled down means which, of course, is causing all sorts of speculation and jumping to conclusions, etc., etc. We should know more shortly though.