Can the Stamps afford to lose Nick Arbuckle??

If by “they” you mean Calgary the idea of the trade from Ottawa’s perspective is to sign Arbuckle before free agency so they won’t get a chance … if you meant Ottawa the “conditional pick” may not be limited by the free agency date

I meant Calgary could sign Arbuckle after he becomes a free agent in February (should he not sign with Ottawa before that).

The point is that Arbuckle’s impending FA status means that Calgary only really traded a roughly six-week exclusive trading window to Ottawa and thus a huge return for Calgary might not be warranted.

This was a brilliant move by Calgary. They have figured out how to get compensation for a free agent.

Here is a guy who will command a much larger contract than his current one. Calgary is unable (or unwilling) to keep him at that price. So they trade his rights to another team (in the other division yet) for a draft pick.

Of course, the only advantage to Ottawa is that they have the exclusive negotiation rights until mid-February, and will try to sign him for less than he will get as a free agent. Knowing this, Arbuckle may refuse any low-ball offer that Ottawa makes, and become a free agent. And think about this: in the unlikely event that he re-signs with Calgary, Ottawa still has to give Calgary a third-round pick, in exchange for exactly nothing! Genius!

As for whether Calgary can afford to lose Arbuckle or not, that will depend on whether Mitchell remains healthy. If he plays all 18 games without injury, the Stamps will be okay and will continue to be competitive in the Western division. If he goes down for a bunch of games the way he did last year, then it will depend on whether their backup can raise eyebrows the way Arbuckle did.

I’m not sure who Calgary has in the QB pipeline to replace Arbuckle, but if they decide to sign a FA QB to replace him, does anyone here think that any of the following could enjoy a career resurgence under Dickenson:

James Franklin
Jonathan Jennings
Brandon Bridge
Dominique Davis

This kind of trade has become fairly common.
Edm got Reilly from BC in this manner a few years ago.
Franklin went to TO before FA.

I’m sure Ottawa knows the price it will take and Ottawa is where NA wants to go. Takes the drama and uncertainty away.

I suspect the conditional pick is a very low round pick. Or a neg lister.

I doubt that Calgary will take any of those players listed as FA QBs.

Every team will know what OTT is offering Arbuckle because of the new legal tampering rules

Well if Ottawa signs him before FA this will not apply. I suspect he will be signed shortly by Ottawa for somewhere in the neighborhood of a two year total $500,000 deal.

Justin Dunk says if Nick Arbuckle signs an extension with Redblacks, the teams will swap 1st round picks in 2020. Calgary would get the 1st overall pick. Ottawa would receivethe 6th pick.

…I like that deal

Not I.

:-\

Nor I

Sure hope he's OK. QB and shoulder "procedures" are not good to hear together

Interesting question. The overwhelming answer is No Way. They have been around several years now.
Unless…
Calgary has seen something in one or more than one of them that they beleive they can work with and see some more than potential in one of them.
On many levels over the course of all four careers are that they have all been in some terrible situations.
I leave that to the experts in Calgary.
Also there are quite a few players who have been a few years in on a CFL roster somewhere. Less known.
Could be one of them. Idk.
The

Aside from Bridge, The Stamps are really the only team to really give a Canadian QB a real shot and roster spot.
Sinnopli was the first. He did get a chance at QB as a number 3 on the roster.
Than came BLM.
Wise choice who ever idea it was to move to Receiver. It worked out very well for him.
Then their was Dr Buckley.
Chose a different life path for the long run.
Let us not forget that There is a current QB entering his 3rd year with the stamps.
Montell Cozart.
So who knows.
Just saying.