Can someone explain why that block was illegal

Maybe I'm missing something but on the 125 yard return of the missed field goal, which was called back due to an illegal block, it appeared as though the blocker got both his head and shoulders to the front of the man. Help with this please.

2 Likes

Very bad call, the ref got it wrong and I am not certain why it was not over tuned or if the riders could have challenged it? Certainly the league will in somehow someway explain this or review this policy in the future.

The block was not illegal. It was simply a blown call. My understanding is that an illegal block call such as it was is not reviewable. I don’t see why it shouldn’t be when a judgement call like pass interference is reviewable.

The game was pretty even with Calgary even having a slight edge in many statistical categories. Where Saskatchewan really excelled and won the game was on special teams. Two returns for TD’s and superior place kicking.

1 Like

The call took away an electrifying play which the league needs. U.S. fan who thought there may have been a different twist on the rule. I may have missed it, but the broadcasters didn’t make a big deal of this… Totally changed the complexion of the game.

2 Likes

The onside kick at the beginning of the second half and the subsequent TD drive was the one of the plays that decided the contest.

1 Like

Good point. Another one for the Sask special teams! They also recovered a fumbled punt but didn’t turn that into points.

1 Like

The mistakes and miscues that the Riders team made were not as big a hurt compared to the mistakes and miscues by the stamps… Again the riders overcame the bad call in on the missed feildgoal that took away a TD and then subsequently threw an INT to gift the stamps to inside our 20 and a TD for them. That could have been a death blow but it was not. It was a win and far form a lucky win, the team dug deep for this win

1 Like

Agreed. The blown call was a 14 point swing that should never have happened.

2 Likes

…I can’t say this is the reason so I’m only offering it up as a possible explanation

…I did not see the play in question, I was driving home at the time and listening to the game in the radio…as the play unfolded, the radio announcer was calling it and his partner (can’t be a ‘colour-man’ if it’s radio right?) said in the back-ground ‘there’s a clip, oh, there’s another’ and a second later ‘there’s another’, so after the play was over the announcer said ‘flags are down here and there’ and the other guy says ‘yeah I saw three illegal blocks there’, and the play came back…

…so if there were multiple infractions, maybe the refs called the number of the wrong guy and that’s what the TV crew zero’d in on? And when they replay that guy’s block it wasn’t an illegal block after all, but someone’s else’s was? I dunno, just a theory..

2 Likes

I hadn’t heard that. On TV they showed a legal block and that was what the flag was for. Clearly wrong. If there were other illegal blocks the refs and the TSN spotters missed it and the viewing audience didn’t get to see it.

That was not an illegal block as his head was clearly in front.

…Occam’s razor says more than likely the refs screwed it up, we’ll never know

Because you can not be upfield of the ball carrier and come back toward the line of scrimmage and hit a player.

Video official could and should have caught this, and overturned the call. A major call like that should be able to be reviewed.

Could very well be the tsn crew NOT calling the play right either. Quite often they do not even meantioned a flag on the play or sometimes do not offer up what the infraction actually was. If you say the radio guys were saying they saw several clips that would explain a lot

can anybody put up a video of the play in question, or a screen shot?

When they first showed it, I thought it was a blind-side hit; but when they showed the replay from the other angle, it clearly wasn't.

1 Like

The CFL Review Arbitration Panel (C.R.A.P.) or whatever they’re called… has overturned officiating mistakes in the past. I’m not sure what they were looking at this time around but the blown call they should’ve overturned didn’t ruin the game. It’s too bad an exciting 125 yard return had to come off the books like that. :grimacing:

1 Like